Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am going to be cutting my hair in a few weeks and I've decided that if I wanted to make a change now was the perfect time.

I wear my hair up most of the time and I prefer it up. It is either in rolls, braids (buns, etc.), french twists, etc. It is also very fine, straight, and long. Occasionally I have periods in which I need to wear my hair styled in a way that is very conservative (a pony tail is too casual and messy and things like rolls are too attention attracting).

I read online that the middy is not an appropriate haircut for doing modern braids, etc. My go-to-simple-conservative hairstyle is a braided bun. I understand that the front layers would be much shorter with a Middy, but if the overall length of each of the layers in the front of middy was kept long- say like 16 inches- this wouldn't seem like an issue, but maybe I am misunderstanding the cut?

Is it true that it is really difficult to braid your hair with a very long Middy?

Are there any other haircuts other than a Middy for very long hair, that would help specifically for updos (like rolls)?

crwritt

One Too Many
I am going to be cutting my hair in a few weeks and I've decided that if I wanted to make a change now was the perfect time.

I wear my hair up most of the time and I prefer it up. It is either in rolls, braids (buns, etc.), french twists, etc. It is also very fine, straight, and long. Occasionally I have periods in which I need to wear my hair styled in a way that is very conservative (a pony tail is too casual and messy and things like rolls are too attention attracting).

I read online that the middy is not an appropriate haircut for doing modern braids, etc. My go-to-simple-conservative hairstyle is a braided bun. I understand that the front layers would be much shorter with a Middy, but if the overall length of each of the layers in the front of middy was kept long- say like 16 inches- this wouldn't seem like an issue, but maybe I am misunderstanding the cut?

Is it true that it is really difficult to braid your hair with a very long Middy?

Are there any other haircuts other than a Middy for very long hair, that would help specifically for updos (like rolls)?

I think it would work if the shortest layer was long enough to be secure in the braid. If you were to begin braiding your hair, then estimate how long that layer would need to be to not slip out, that would guide you.
With a layered cut, your braid will be thinner towards the ends.

Wow, this is a big change for you. Your hair is super long!

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I cut myself a middy last night!!!!

Beautiful!! :D

It wouldn't be impossible, but with all the layering, you wouldn't get a very good braid. For a Middy to work, the layers in front do need to be shorter, so if they were kept longer then you would have a different cut altogether. You would likely also find, like crwitt says, the braid would be thinner toward the ends, and it wouldn't be neat and smooth as much of the hair would be coming out. For as much layering as the cut requires, you'd need to lose a lot of length.

I'm not sure about cuts for very long hair that would work specifically for rolls, but I know long hair can be rolled, it just takes more time. I remember in Lauren Rennell's Vintage Hairstyling that she had a model with reeeally long hair, no cut, that was put into a rolled updo. FL member ohairas (I haven't seen her around in a while) had hair down her back with slight layering at the ends, and she did this lovely style:

P1010047.jpg

That could work for you - lose some length for very long layers, and you could do braids and rolls as you like :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Crwitt- I am kind of figuring now or never. :) I kind of let my hair go too long. Last time I cut it, I promised myself I was never letting it get that long again, and I apparently lied to myself. I set a goal length and it's 8 inches past that and getting annoying. In a little over a year, I am probably going to start interviewing (conservative hair time), so I'll have a year to let it grow out in case it is a disaster!

I like your idea. I think I'll use a twist tie to mark it the front section, and perhaps go a bit longer. I figure I can always just chop the longer layers straight off like I do now and just roll it until I get enough length back to do the bun.

C-dot, I think I like the idea of layers. I find that if I can get it to hold even a limpy curl/ wave, it is much easier to style into rolls than when it is dead straight. However, with the current length, it doesn't hold a curl well, and it also takes forever to curl, then dry. I think I just plain need some of the length off, and this provides an opportunity to experiment. I have never had layers, but I think I understand the basics of your tutorial enough to try some layers.

Thank you both! :)

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
I gave myself the cut this morning but can´t really tell how it came out yet. I set it and was so excited that I took out the rollers too early. I´ll set it again this night and then take some pictures tomorrow.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've never posted in this thread due to the fact that my hair has been anything from chin-length bob to pixie short for the past 15 years. Right now I'm starting to grow it out and I will definitely be using that tutorial. Thank you (in advance!) so much for posting it, C-dot! Very, very helpful.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Hi girls!

Hope I can ask a little advice here - I have naturally very curly hair. I don't normally set it, as my real curls do NOT want to be formed into "done" curls. Most of the time that's fine with me, I can just wash my hair and go and it looks fine (in my opinion anyway!). I have it in long layers to avoid the aforementioned "triangle effect."

This is my hair (with the front bit pinned back!):

254189_10150211961646434_656156433_7806302_7571126_n.jpg

I'm thinking of having it cut into a long middy, as I would like my hair to be easier to set when I want it to look more "vintage". However, I am VERY busy and definitely do not have time to set it every day, or even most days, probably... can any of you shed any light on how my hair would look cut into a middy but unstyled? Would it look OK, or am I better leaving my hair how it is and trying to battle through setting-wise?

Thank you in advance for the advice!

xxx

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Hi girls!

Hope I can ask a little advice here - I have naturally very curly hair. I don't normally set it, as my real curls do NOT want to be formed into "done" curls. Most of the time that's fine with me, I can just wash my hair and go and it looks fine (in my opinion anyway!). I have it in long layers to avoid the aforementioned "triangle effect."

I'm thinking of having it cut into a long middy, as I would like my hair to be easier to set when I want it to look more "vintage". However, I am VERY busy and definitely do not have time to set it every day, or even most days, probably... can any of you shed any light on how my hair would look cut into a middy but unstyled? Would it look OK, or am I better leaving my hair how it is and trying to battle through setting-wise?

xxx

My hair is very similar to yours (thick, curly & the same colour :) ) I had my hair cut into a long middy about 3 weeks ago. It looks fine when not set & is so much easier to set with curlers. I say do it. I should post pics of before & after (maybe tomorrow).

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Ooh, it would be so helpful if you could post the pictures... Especially the "natural" one. Thank you!

I have my hair shorter, but have been growing it out as I go to a lot of formal events where I want to DO something with my hair - which of course is easier with longer hair! But I thought a long midi would be a nice compromise between the length, the curls, and the vintage options.

Also - I currently live in... Russia. So I am dithering about whether or not I should take a midi-diagram to a Russian salon. What do you think??? I do speak Russian, but not "hair speak", so am a bit worried the stylist and I might get our wires crossed!

Thank you!

xxx

crwritt

One Too Many
Hi girls!

xxx
I think the Middy would work out well for you, since the long layered cut is working with your curly hair.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Do I risk it at a Russian salon or force myself to be patient until England at Christmas (and no guarantee I'll get an appointment over the Christmas hols!) - what would YOU do?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Do I risk it at a Russian salon or force myself to be patient until England at Christmas (and no guarantee I'll get an appointment over the Christmas hols!) - what would YOU do?

It depends on how risky the Russian salon is for you. Diagrams transcend language, anyway, and if you're really in a pinch, bring along a native Russian speaker. If you feel its too risky, it might be better to wait.

Of course, if you're feelin' lucky, you can always do it yourself... ;)

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
C-dot, I'm pretty sure it would end up with me having to shave all my hair off! Haha! You're very brave to cut it yourself - although it always seems to turn out beautifully! :)

I think I am going to sit down and work out what I want to say and make notes before I go, convert inches into centimetres, plus take a diagram, haha. Which one did any of you ladies take to the hairdresser? I Googled, but if a particular diagram comes recommended, that's the one I'll use!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
C-dot, I'm pretty sure it would end up with me having to shave all my hair off! Haha! You're very brave to cut it yourself - although it always seems to turn out beautifully! :)

I think I am going to sit down and work out what I want to say and make notes before I go, convert inches into centimetres, plus take a diagram, haha. Which one did any of you ladies take to the hairdresser? I Googled, but if a particular diagram comes recommended, that's the one I'll use!

Thank you Fraulein :) I'm sure your end result will look great too.

Here is the diagram I use, from Daniela Turudich's 1940 Hairstyles. This diagram is extremely useful because of its precision. The book is rare and out of print, but I put down the dough for a copy. Also, if you take a look through this thread backward from this page, you'll find a few ladies who went to hairdressers to have the Middy done armed with photos and diagrams, and I think they list which ones.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Hi girls!

xxx

Also keep in mind you don't have to get a middy. You can just ask for short rounded layers with face framing angles (which is fairly close to what a Middy is). It'd be a cute look that would be easy to make look vintage with no risk whatsoever. My only thing to be careful about with the middy is that you want it to be blended really well because of your curls, otherwise you'll get that curl line where you can see perfect curl lines in the layers. If you give that diagram to a hairstlylist a lot of them will be so concerned with trying to follow the diagram that they'll forget to take your curls into consideration (It's a myth that this is an easy diagram to follow for all stylists, I'd say about half of the girls in my salon would have no clue what to do with that diagram).

My advice-due to your curls go somewhere very good where you know the people have a lot of training. Otherwise just ask for short round layers with face framing front angles and you'll end up with something kinda close-ish, but that will be easier to do sets with then what you have now.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
My Russian friend has said she will speak to her hairstylist... let's see what she says!

Ginfizz! Thank you for the advice, but I think that would be just as hard to say, but I wouldn't have the diagram and my pictures of Rita and Ingrid!

Lolly, I would still really like to see some pictures of your hair in its middy "undone" if you have them???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic