Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
She does explain in the video that she got the longest version of the middy. I'm sure if you brought the diagram in they could modify it into an even longer version.

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Ack! I must've missed that...sorry. That's just shocking, though, that it is the longest one! :eek:

I mean I like having nicely rolled curls as much as the next gal, but it's just not feasible everyday. I have to have those days that I put the hair up in a clamp and run out the door. I normally wouldn't be so concerned, but I will be going to a new stylist. I don't know if she will be able to do it right. Maybe I'll go and have her cut in a few long layers to feel her out before taking the big plunge eh?

Kiri

One of the Regulars
My Grandpa gave me a sort of middy today (he's a barber). It's a U shape and layered as bit, however, I kept the majority of my length and the shortest part is just above my shoulders. I'll post pictures later. I have my first pincurl set in right now.

Tatum

Practically Family
ScarlettOhara said:
Ack! I must've missed that...sorry. That's just shocking, though, that it is the longest one! :eek:

I mean I like having nicely rolled curls as much as the next gal, but it's just not feasible everyday. I have to have those days that I put the hair up in a clamp and run out the door. I normally wouldn't be so concerned, but I will be going to a new stylist. I don't know if she will be able to do it right. Maybe I'll go and have her cut in a few long layers to feel her out before taking the big plunge eh?

Scarlett, when I wanted to keep my length, my old stylist just added so many inches to the layers. At the time, I think my longest layer was 10 inches. For us "visual learners", I edited the diagram a bit. I think just keeping the maths right is the trick.

longer-middy.jpg

Random update on my cut on Sunday: I lost a LOT of length, as my hair was fried from no trims and having to rely on heat so much recently. My stylist friend wanted to "play" with the cut a little, so I let her. I like it, but it's not perfect, so we will fix it when it grows out a bit! I don't have any pics of it yet, as my pincurl skills are awful. I am going back to pillow rollers!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
ScarlettOhara said:
Thanks...I had seen that, but I think she got hers cut in one of the shorter middy's....I was hoping someone that had long long hair had gotten it done with the longer layers in ya know? I'm not looking to go quite as short as she did in the video. I'm curious to know how it would look unstyled but yet long....like five or six inches below shoulders? I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear.
Mine was long to begin with and hasn't been cut since august and most days at work I where it down and it is just fine. Often I pull sides back I can post pic this week end ( I have to go out of town for funeral this week:( )

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Thanks ladies for all the help! I look forward to your pictures too! Pictures have inspired me to do what I've done so far...not much I know, but trust me, it's huge for someone whose hair lives in a claw clamp lol

Thank you Tatum for the updated picture graph too! :)

Tatum

Practically Family
ScarlettOhara said:
Thanks ladies for all the help! I look forward to your pictures too! Pictures have inspired me to do what I've done so far...not much I know, but trust me, it's huge for someone whose hair lives in a claw clamp lol

Thank you Tatum for the updated picture graph too! :)

You are welcome! :D

There is definitely a lot of inspiration here, and everyone is so helpful! I remember being clueless about rolls and sets when I first started, and the information here is priceless.

jester

New in Town
Hello, ladies. I've been researching hairstyles for a couple weeks now and it's led me here!

I have some questions, as I'm totally new to the vintage scene.

I love 30s-50s looks, but for hair I definitely prefer the 50s looks with more volume - the flat crowns of the 40s don't appeal as much. I'm thinking Liz Taylor or Marilyn Monroe here, maybe a tad longer though.

My hair isn't really thick or thin - average, slightly wavy, and currently to my collarbones. I have side swept bangs with a bit to the other side to hide my cowlicks (I have many), and a side part already. It tends to take curls well but not keep them, and I'm hoping some setting lotion and hair spray will help with that.

Would this cut help for that sort of look? I feel that the U shape is important to the 40s looks, but is it still relevant to the 50s ones? Or would the layering aspect be the most important takeaway here? (Confused about that, still, after reading the whole thread!)

And, related - rollers, hot sticks, or other, for creating it!?

buddy5909

One of the Regulars
Jester Pin curls and a layered cut are most important I think in getting the look. My hair is cut in a short middy, sections are 6 inch, with a nice 'u' shape. On days I don't style it I can pull the top back and put it in a clip. There is a picture of my haircut one page back. I LOVE the layers. This IS a Marilyn Monroe haircut and to get that look I HAVE to do pin curls and style it.

Sassy Hoops

New in Town
Thanks C-Dot

Thank you so much for posting the pictures on how to give yourself a middy cut. I just did it and it was fairly simple. I think the hardest part was getting my sections even. Now to style!

Lenore

Practically Family
I've got an appointment on Tuesday evening and I'll actually do my hair for it. I'll make sure I'll snap some shots before I leave.:rolleyes:

This is from last Thursday after class. I had fallen but eh.
Photoon2010-10-07at20442.jpg

Lenore

Practically Family
Okay, I never made it Tuesday, but these were taken last night. I was a little doped up on pain meds so I couldn't figure why the flash wasn't working right.

Photoon2010-10-13at0708.jpg

Photoon2010-10-13at0723.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Let's talk about the "U" and length

Hello Ladies!
I want to discuss the "U".
It doesn't always have to be there!
I'm a hairstylist and have studied the middy in depth.

I have seen three different sketches for the basic Middy, each of them showing 4 inches behind the ears. But one says the bottom middle length must be 4 inches, another says 3 3/4, and another says 3 1/2. I'm talking just the Middy folks, not the plus, long, baby, etc.

It's bascially a 4 incher, but depending on the person's hairline on the bottom, how much it dips down in the center or "U's" itself, will determine how much the finished haircut will "U" on the bottom. Also, the shape of one's head. Some people have longer heads, and some heads from ear to ear are wider than others. This all makes a difference in the final look.

Basically, the middy is all cut the same length along the bottom, coming from the hairline. This gives a nice soft curved length line, but not necissarily a "U".

The "U" comes in when those who want a MIDDY, meaning MID LENGTH cut, don't want it quite so short. This is the only the time the "U" is so crucial, and thus only good for those measurements given. Those odd measurements given in the books for pomps and rolls WITH the middy, are just for MID length hair. (Such as 6 in. bangs with 5 in. crown and 6 in. in front of ear yet 5 behind ear).....
Thus keeping the back a mid length but leaving the front long enough to do rolls, etc.
Trust me, it will lay really goofy cut that way. I would suggest leaving more length all the way around.

SO~ if you are wanting a much longer version of the middy, you need to forget about the middy plus or femme fatal measurements. Those are not LONG haircuts.

I truly believe that styles such as Rita Hayworth is cut like the middy, just much longer. The bottom can be cut all at say 10 inches, or you can "U" it a bit by making the sides behind the ears 8, etc.
In other words, totally forget about the 3 inch middy sides, etc, if you are going long.

I'm so glad Tatam just posted a diagram with the added inches. I made a few here as well. These are for the middy plus, but remember, the bottom length doesn't have to be two inches shorter than the sides... You don't HAVE to have that "U". It will have a nice natural curve on it's own. Bangs should be no shorter than 6 inches.

Esp. if your hair is thinner towards the bottom, you don't want such a "U"... after layering and such the ends would be more stringy and look more "V"ed in the end.

Hope this helps and makes sense!

Last edited:

dmoran227

Familiar Face
Hello Ladies!
I want to discuss the "U".
It doesn't always have to be there!
I'm a hairstylist and have studied the middy in depth.

I have seen three different sketches for the basic Middy, each of them showing 4 inches behind the ears. But one says the bottom middle length must be 4 inches, another says 3 3/4, and another says 3 1/2. I'm talking just the Middy folks, not the plus, long, baby, etc.

It's bascially a 4 incher, but depending on the person's hairline on the bottom, how much it dips down in the center or "U's" itself, will determine how much the finished haircut will "U" on the bottom. Also, the shape of one's head. Some people have longer heads, and some heads from ear to ear are wider than others. This all makes a difference in the final look.

Basically, the middy is all cut the same length along the bottom, coming from the hairline. This gives a nice soft curved length line, but not necissarily a "U".

The "U" comes in when those who want a MIDDY, meaning MID LENGTH cut, don't want it quite so short. This is the only the time the "U" is so crucial, and thus only good for those measurements given. Those odd measurements given in the books for pomps and rolls WITH the middy, are just for MID length hair. (Such as 6 in. bangs with 5 in. crown and 6 in. in front of ear yet 5 behind ear).....
Thus keeping the back a mid length but leaving the front long enough to do rolls, etc.
Trust me, it will lay really goofy cut that way. I would suggest leaving more length all the way around.

SO~ if you are wanting a much longer version of the middy, you need to forget about the middy plus or femme fatal measurements. Those are not LONG haircuts.

I truly believe that styles such as Rita Hayworth is cut like the middy, just much longer. The bottom can be cut all at say 10 inches, or you can "U" it a bit by making the sides behind the ears 8, etc.
In other words, totally forget about the 3 inch middy sides, etc, if you are going long.

I'm so glad Tatam just posted a diagram with the added inches. I made a few here as well. These are for the middy plus, but remember, the bottom length doesn't have to be two inches shorter than the sides... You don't HAVE to have that "U". It will have a nice natural curve on it's own. Bangs should be no shorter than 6 inches.

Esp. if your hair is thinner towards the bottom, you don't want such a "U"... after layering and such the ends would be more stringy and look more "V"ed in the end.

Hope this helps and makes sense!

Hello, I agree. I tried to write some directions for telling a stylist. With all the diagrams and measurments, could be very confusing. This is why I thought if a girl give her stylist the directions in much more common terms it would help make it clearer. These cuts are basically all uniform layer cuts shaped around the perimeter. And the panelsare layers. my teachers in the 80's were in their 60's and taught us these cuts. You started with your guide in the nape. This became your movable guide up the back cutting horizontal layers. You stopped at the occipital bone. then you moved to the sides. Again using the bottom guide and working up to the temples. Next guide was the bangs, movable cutting horizantal layers from front to back. Then blending sections, side to back, top to sides, crown. Then clean the perimeter to curve backwards.
I agree with you for thinner hair a defined curve like that could look scraggly. And I also agree some of the measurments would lay goofy in actuality. Also these are really short cuts by today's standards. Even the femme fetale(imo just a long layer w/shaped perimeter). It's much more about the styling than the cut to obtain these looks.

lareine

A-List Customer
I am so glad of the tutorial on this thread. Since I read it I have cut my own hair twice, saving me the hassle and money and pain (those sinks where they do the shampoo really hurt my neck) of going to a hairdressers. And the results are so cute! At least, I think they are! LOL

66392_447379736471_721366471_5916603_8041470_n.jpg

I have naturally wavy hair that I like to just wash and let dry naturally -- I don't do vintage styles and can't be bothered to style it at all most of the time -- and it looks great now. I got a hairstyle that looks good with my vintage-influenced clothes but also my modern clothes. I'd never have dared to cut it myself other than a straight trim of the ends, before reading this thread and all the people who have braved the DIY route. Thank you all :)

(Edit: please forgive my complete lack of makeup, decent clothing, or the slightest bit of effort. It's a hot summer's evening here and I am not willing to put on slap for a photo two hours before taking it off for bed!)

Last edited:

BoPeep

Practically Family
I wrote a post about getting a vintage haircut from a modern stylist.

http://dmoran227.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/how-to-get-a-good-middy-haircut-or-baby-or-any-you-wish/

ps I would welcome any suggestions on what I could add or what's missing, etc

dmoran227 - Thank you for this! This makes much more sense to me than all the previous diagrams. I was happy that you included the point about using a shears and not a razor, and the horizontal/vertical cutting methods. These are concrete things I can take to my stylist! Currently, I have a 7-8 inch middy, uniform layers all over, no exaggerated U. But I thought I'd like to try the 4 inch version. My stylist of 6 years has been wonderful, trying her darndest to give me vintage cuts (which no one but me ever asks for). She's an excellent listener, and I've been happy with the results. But now I've got the right language to use! Thanks again! (Good cliff notes, btw!)

Edited: to congratulate all you girls who can follow diagrams and cut your own!! :eusa_clap While I actually enjoy cutting my own hair, I've never been too good at it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy