Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

zombi

A-List Customer
I want to have a middy cut in, but I'm super nervous about asking someone to do it. I've never been good at communicating with hairdressers. Even my trims seem to go wrong! And I'm not sure who I'd trust to do it, nor am I sure what inch length I want. I'm sort of feeling very "it would be nice, but HOW", you know?

Anyone had this feeling and then just gone for it anyway? What did you say to the hairdresser?

rue

I want to have a middy cut in, but I'm super nervous about asking someone to do it. I've never been good at communicating with hairdressers. Even my trims seem to go wrong! And I'm not sure who I'd trust to do it, nor am I sure what inch length I want. I'm sort of feeling very "it would be nice, but HOW", you know?

Anyone had this feeling and then just gone for it anyway? What did you say to the hairdresser?

Yes, I did. I was really scared, but I went to a lady that cuts all the elderly women's hair in our town and she knew exactly what I was talking about. Maybe you should try looking for a salon with a lot of blue-hairs :)

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Yes, I did. I was really scared, but I went to a lady that cuts all the elderly women's hair in our town and she knew exactly what I was talking about. Maybe you should try looking for a salon with a lot of blue-hairs :)

I was nervous too but I brought in a diagram and had her do a longer modified version. That way I wasn't committing to the whole middy cut, which can get a lot shorter than you'd expect. Also let her/him know you plan on using it for setting so they don't try to shape it to modern lines.

Pamelarose

New in Town
Hello ladies.
I am so thankful that I found this thread. I took in the modified diagram to get my middy yesterday. The stylist followed the "femme fatale" diagram and modified it to 10 inch uniform layers with the U shape. I was really scared when she cut the top planar! I thought it would be an obvious mullet, but it turned out beautifully and I slept in sponge rollers last night and woke to pretty curls. I will post photos of it unstyled when I can.
I appreciate all of your diagrams and photos/ personal experiences with this cut. Also much thanks to Lisa Freemont Street videos on YouTube.

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
I've actually been cutting mine by myself since I haven't been able to find a stylist or barber who'll try using the diagrams. I wish I had longer arms so I could take a pic with my awful phone, but it generally turns out pretty well - if a bit uneven because I can't really see what I'm doing. That corrects itself when it's curled, and I've always got my hair set so it makes no never mind to me. :)

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I've found a hairstylist who, whilst not exactly following the diagram to the letter, managed to get pretty much that U shape for me. The first time he cut it I was pretty happy with it, but the last two times not so much so as I can't seem to get that flat crown with the curl at the bottom look which I got naturally the first time. I have been trying to pinpoint the reason why.

The last two times he did this thing where he would take random small sections of hair, twirl them, and cut at random along the length of the twirled section (I hope this makes some sense!). He explained that this was to take away some of the bulk (I have thick-ish hair). Could this be what is causing the frizzy look on the crown? I did expressly say to him, no razoring or feathering (without actually understanding what these are, admittedly, just remember reading that these are a big no-no for a middy.).

Help?!!!

crwritt

One Too Many
I've found a hairstylist who, whilst not exactly following the diagram to the letter, managed to get pretty much that U shape for me. The first time he cut it I was pretty happy with it, but the last two times not so much so as I can't seem to get that flat crown with the curl at the bottom look which I got naturally the first time. I have been trying to pinpoint the reason why.

The last two times he did this thing where he would take random small sections of hair, twirl them, and cut at random along the length of the twirled section (I hope this makes some sense!). He explained that this was to take away some of the bulk (I have thick-ish hair). Could this be what is causing the frizzy look on the crown? I did expressly say to him, no razoring or feathering (without actually understanding what these are, admittedly, just remember reading that these are a big no-no for a middy.).

Help?!!!
It sounds to me like your hairdresser's thinning technique is the culprit. You've told him not to razor and not to feather but he's doing the same thing in a different way. If you go back to him, tell him please not to thin it that way, as you are seeing the short hairs pop up into frizz.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
It sounds to me like your hairdresser's thinning technique is the culprit. You've told him not to razor and not to feather but he's doing the same thing in a different way. If you go back to him, tell him please not to thin it that way, as you are seeing the short hairs pop up into frizz.

I'm in agreement with crwritt on this - your hair was thinned just the same, but true to instruction he did not razor-cut or feather. My understanding is limited, but what this does is create hairs with different lengths mixed into the layered lengths you've asked for...making it harder to control those shorter lengths because they are randomized and more prone to behave different than the lengths their mingled in with. Sorry if that description is confusing, but it's all I can think of. You're less likely to get a flat crown because some of the hair is shorter and therefore has more 'bounce' than the rest.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Thank you so so much crwritt and Clabbergirl; I had a funny feeling that what he was doing was the culprit, as my hair is in pretty good shape and largely split-end free, but wanted someone else's opinion to verify! Your explanation makes perfect sense to me, Clabbergirl, exactly what I thought was happening! Oh, these modern hairdressers, sheesh!

If anyone knows the technical term for it that would be great, so I could just tell him, "No feathering, no razoring, and no _____ing!" :)

crwritt

One Too Many
Thank you so so much crwritt and Clabbergirl; I had a funny feeling that what he was doing was the culprit, as my hair is in pretty good shape and largely split-end free, but wanted someone else's opinion to verify! Your explanation makes perfect sense to me, Clabbergirl, exactly what I thought was happening! Oh, these modern hairdressers, sheesh!

If anyone knows the technical term for it that would be great, so I could just tell him, "No feathering, no razoring, and no _____ing!" :)
I think they call it thinning or texturizing.I'vr also had them "point cut" where the hair was sectioned and a few snips were taken in each section about halfway up the length. Not so good either, IMO. Just Keep an eye on him,
and stop him when he starts getting fancy.

Blonde

New in Town
Thank you so much for this thread! Had no idea there was a place near Marylebone, I shall be checking it out. For now, I'm going to ask a friend to do my middy, she can explain to me how I can explain it to a hair dresser.

It's funny about the razor, because it's does just the trick for my hair. I had a cut similar to a middy when I was much younger, the main styling was done with a razor. It turned out great, I need the extra thinning out though.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I think they call it thinning or texturizing.I'vr also had them "point cut" where the hair was sectioned and a few snips were taken in each section about halfway up the length. Not so good either, IMO. Just Keep an eye on him,
and stop him when he starts getting fancy.

I definitely will keep an eye on him; it's definitely those shorter bits frizzing up and away from the rest, like Gene Wilder on a bad day! - the long bits are smooth and shiny as silk. Cheers!

Thank you so much for this thread! Had no idea there was a place near Marylebone, I shall be checking it out. For now, I'm going to ask a friend to do my middy, she can explain to me how I can explain it to a hair dresser.

It's funny about the razor, because it's does just the trick for my hair. I had a cut similar to a middy when I was much younger, the main styling was done with a razor. It turned out great, I need the extra thinning out though.

Marylebone? Where? Much as I was happy with my cut (thinning excluded), if anyone can recommend someone good and not too too pricey in or near SW London, I'd give it a whirl. I went to Nina's a couple of times, and they did an ace job, but it's really awkward for me to get to and not in my budget at the moment.

crwritt

One Too Many

Thinning or razor cutting works fine on naturally straight hair, its when the hair is wavy/curly that it backfires and causes frizz.

Blonde

New in Town
Marylebone? Where? Much as I was happy with my cut (thinning excluded), if anyone can recommend someone good and not too too pricey in or near SW London, I'd give it a whirl. I went to Nina's a couple of times, and they did an ace job, but it's really awkward for me to get to and not in my budget at the moment.

Aww I'm so sorry, I was speaking of Nina's. I only know of Covent Garden salons, it's where I have been going for last few years to get my hair done. Have you tried local salons? They should be able to emulate or even maintain an already made middy. Like others have mentioned, keep an eye on how much thinning they do.

Smumo

New in Town
Hey, I'm new! This is my first post. I wanted to thank anyone who ever posted in this thread. I was looking for what kind of haircut to get and one of the older ladies that I know said "you should get a middy" and I had no idea what it was so I searched the internet and kept coming across this thread. I took down as much information as I could and brought it with me to the salon. I think she messed up a little (my last layer seems too long) but everything else is perfect. I have set it 4 times now and it's perfect. Yesterday I put it in pincurls and then put it in little curly pigtails and it's perfect. I love you all. Everyone gets a gold star today.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Thinning or razor cutting works fine on naturally straight hair, its when the hair is wavy/curly that it backfires and causes frizz.

You got it in one - I'll be dousing my head in heavy-duty gel for the next few months to keep the strays tamed until it grows out again, it looks like!

Aww I'm so sorry, I was speaking of Nina's. I only know of Covent Garden salons, it's where I have been going for last few years to get my hair done. Have you tried local salons? They should be able to emulate or even maintain an already made middy. Like others have mentioned, keep an eye on how much thinning they do.

I've pretty much done the tour of most of my locals, all much of a muchness with blaring r&b and pin-straight styles the specialty. I would love to find someone used to coiffing "old dears" who would know their way around a middy diagram. The holy grail!

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
bunnyb, you could try looking into a school for cosmetology in your area maybe. I took my diagram to a stylist who regularly competes in 'hair shows' and when she saw it, she said it is exactly the same thing they give the stylists/contestants when assigning them particular cuts to demonstrate. I don't know if that's true in the UK, or how true it is in the US, but it might be a piece of info to use in some way.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
^ That's an idea - I'll let my fingers do the walking next time I'm due for a cut and see if anything comes up. I would love to know if these diagrams are taught as standard...

W-D Forties

Practically Family
^ That's an idea - I'll let my fingers do the walking next time I'm due for a cut and see if anything comes up. I would love to know if these diagrams are taught as standard...

Someone on another hair thread said something about 'all hairdressers' having to master picurls, etc as part of their training. I'm really not sure this is true in the UK mine (who is actually very good), was flabbered by my reverse victory rolls last time I went in to get my colour done, but when I asked her if she could put it back that way when she'd finished she said she didn't have a clue where to start! I ended up with my usual poker straight bob.

When my hair grows a bit I may frighten her a bit more by showing her the diagram for the middy! Oddly enough the middy was the way my hair was always cut when I was a kid.

susan

Familiar Face
I´m always going to a "granny" hairdresser ;-) It´s a two generation shop, the mother succeeded her master´s certifitace 1960. She can handle victory rolls, water waves...when I came up with the middy pattern, she said that this was the way hair has been cut back then...again no problem for her. Her daughter can´t do water waves and all that old stuff, she´s responsible for the modern wishes of the "usual" clients, hair extensions, highlights... So me and the older ladies ask for the mother, the other girls in my age go for the daughter ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo