Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Motorcycle Helmet Thread

Edward

Bartender
In recent months Biltwell have launched a completely revised Gringo and Gringo S, with ECE approval. Nice looking lid, surprisingly affoardable. Reviews well, too. Not sure if it's available for those on the US market, but a better lid than the original.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I have a Gringo and Shoei GT Air.
Gringo is a comfy helmet and I wear it around town. It is the visorless version so I don’t prefer it at higher speeds. I’d guess it provides a somewhat modest level of impact protection.
The Shoei is a super star helmet. If it can’t save you, you were already doomed. I have a Sena system installed. It’s great for long hauls.

barongan

New in Town
Shoei & Shark i love it
o.png

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Congrats! Just yesterday a guy pulled up next to me and my Moto Guzzi at a stop light on a Speed Triple - had never seen one up close i don't think. Looked cool, and looked pretty fast... Enjoy.

I've got a 2015 V7 Racer, which is very fun to ride! (@technovox has the same model, a year or two earlier.) I confess that I unexpectedly loved the "blingy-ness" of the chrome tank and red frame the first time I laid eyes on it. I wouldn't have thought it was my style, but it was. And at 53 I am not the ideal cafe racer rider, but having fun on it nonetheless.

View attachment 121681

A welcome return for me to this old thread.
I never had the Speed Triple but loved it's look, I bought the smaller and similar looking street fighter styled Street Triple. Very zippy and still a great looking bike, unfortunately I could not get on with the seating so part ex'd it for an 2012 Bonnie. A great bike again and though not the fastest thing available probably the best of the retro looking bikes but also the most expensive I believe and that goes for parts as well going by the catalogues.
That Guzzi V7 looks great, their first retro looker? Heading into Kaffff racer territory if fitted with clip ons and thats a great looking tank very similar to those old 70s bikes. Not sure if they still make the V7 Racer or has it morphed a little now from the original into a simple street bike?
As to lids, for Bonnerville riding I am using a Davida 92. It has the lowest profile padding available for British Standard approval, not sure if this model is legal in Europe though. I usually wear it with clear industrial wraparound safety glasses but with a set of old Stadium Mk8s sitting just above, held on by a silicon backed strap.
Looking back to wearing those Mk8s they were pretty awful, they steamed up leaked in the rain and the laminated real glass lenses were only an inch away should you get hit by a stone. I still have my originals from 1976 that are now starting to de laminate though new lenses are available should i wish to wear them again. The goggles are still available but now made by Halcyon to a similar specification of originals but now with polycarbonate lenses also sold by Davida helmets. Cheaper Chinese copies also made.
Often referred to as 'Battle of Britain' googles Mk 8s are actually a later design used by the RAF, The earlier versions(the Mk7) had more metalwork attached for sun shades. I don't think they would be suitable for motorcycling, though possibly in the pre British helmet law era. I guess an aviation enthusiast could explain this better.
For the Hayabusa though I am still wearing my Bell Carbon. Possible upgrade on this soon as a new lighter model has come out.
One of the problems I don't like about goggles and visors are the replacement prices, £45-75 for the full face(of all helmet makes, and similar for the Mk8 RAF type. I will not go on about the more you pay the better you get as the helmet price can depend on graphics, but buying an unknown cheaper make can mean replacement visors may not be available or at least hard to find.
Good to talk about bikes, not riding this summer due to health but hoping to catch the tail end of summer autumn and a bit of winter.
To all riders, keep safe, JayTee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner