Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Motorcycle Helmet Thread

Sometimes it is my Arai, sometimes it is my Bell 500, but I picked up this Nexx XG100 over the winter and really like it, combines the best aspects of a 3/4 face with full face safety. It also has a snap on windscreen for those days when I want to keep out the breeze.
View attachment 120812

I have always liked this helmet. Does it have room for BT speakers?

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Davida Speedster open face
Davida Speedster.jpg
my most recent helmet of choice here in Perth Western Australia

Stars and Stripes colours. Made in the UK by I think the last helmet manufacturer there.

I ordered mine with three studs for a "peak" or sun visor , most necessary here

Edward

Bartender
That being said, I am testing out my jackets in riding conditions and realise that not all perform equally. The recommendation given in most shop is to get fabric jackets and trousers due to the weather here in the UK... not to keen on that TBH.
What do you guys reckon?

I tend to find most modern textiles are very effective, but I don't cared for how they look... There are some nice denim-kevlar options for warmer weather. For the wet, my choice would be armoured wax-cotton, though Roadskin https://en-gb.facebook.com/Roadskin-Ltd-288148511221282/ are starting to do some interesting stuff, using modern textiles but with a much more classic look. I guess the other alternative would be the traditional, pull-on rainsuit to zip up over the top of the leathers.

Shoei gt air
Or
Biltwell gringo

The GRingo is a lovely looking helmet - sadly not road-legal in the UK.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
It is a nice looking but of noticeabley lower quality helmet. I’ve owned amny helmets over the last 20 year and the fit and finish of Davida is second to none.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I have a multitude of open face helmets , collected over the last 25 years.

I have some excellent 1960's and 70's versions , but the Davida is as good as any for quality and finish.

Speedster is no longer "fit for purpose" in the EU as it is "old tech".

I like for the most part that it is NOT matt black like most Harley helmets here in Australia

That and I'm most likely the only guy here in western Australia who wears a "Captain America" skid lid

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tend to find most modern textiles are very effective, but I don't cared for how they look... There are some nice denim-kevlar options for warmer weather. For the wet, my choice would be armoured wax-cotton, though Roadskin https://en-gb.facebook.com/Roadskin-Ltd-288148511221282/ are starting to do some interesting stuff, using modern textiles but with a much more classic look. I guess the other alternative would be the traditional, pull-on rainsuit to zip up over the top of the leathers.

Thanks! I am not that keen on modern textile gear either.
The Roadskin jeans with armor seem like a good option. As for the jackets, I found this:
https://www.bksleather.co.uk/
They're not cheap by any measure, but can make vintage themed jackets with armor.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
My wife prefers her Ruby Atelier ( France), I prefer the 3/4 Open Face Shoei with speakers and communication in both. Obviously I prefer leather while she leans toward the tech gear.

Attachments

• 20180505_114103 (2).jpg
    20180505_114103 (2).jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 1,097
Last edited:

lina

Practically Family
Recently got this Beon helmet. Been looking for a summer helmet -- lighter color, air vents, etc -- but most I find don't fit my hatchet head. This one does pretty well. I know nothing about the company, Beon. Helmet has a DOT sticker, though clearly it's not gonna be the safest helmet ever. I won't wear it on the highway, but just for puttering around and city riding.

beon.jpg

ProteinNerd

I can’t do open face helmets anymore even though I prefer them and find they have much better peripheral vision.

There’s just way too much road safety data on motorcycle accidents they have complied over the years that show the vast majority of bikers hit the front of their face in an accident and with the way car drivers ignore motorcyclists here in Sydney or should I say, how much attention they pay to their phones while driving.....it’s just not worth it even though I prefer an open face helmet.

My compromise is the Shoei Neotec 2 modular helmet. Full face but you can lift up the front for when stopped at lights etc. flip down sun visor which I love plus I have the integrated Bluetooth comms system from SENA and it’s great.

b214767fc135e54b6e9f5352cb3cb836.jpg

Not vintage looking but functional and safer, I guess that’s where I draw the line.

draws

Practically Family
My wife and I wear HJC Max 2 full helmets with Sena Bluetooth Communications with each unit having Comms, Individual Phone, and Individual Stereo. NH is a no-helmet state. However, massively growing traffic volumes with unreasonable, self destructive and inconsiderate drivers resulting is numerous motorcycle accidents is encouragement enough to wear full head coverage and armored coverage as well.
helmets.jpg

LAman

New in Town
I can’t do open face helmets anymore even though I prefer them and find they have much better peripheral vision.

There’s just way too much road safety data on motorcycle accidents they have complied over the years that show the vast majority of bikers hit the front of their face in an accident and with the way car drivers ignore motorcyclists here in Sydney or should I say, how much attention they pay to their phones while driving.....it’s just not worth it even though I prefer an open face helmet.

My compromise is the Shoei Neotec 2 modular helmet. Full face but you can lift up the front for when stopped at lights etc. flip down sun visor which I love plus I have the integrated Bluetooth comms system from SENA and it’s great.

Not vintage looking but functional and safer, I guess that’s where I draw the line.
For functionality, features, and sound level, this is the best helmet on the market right now.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

I use pretty much the same set up. Sena blue tooth, and the integrated drop down sun visor is the best thing to happen to helmets since they stopped being leather.

bn1966

I don't like modern textile jackets but own one for practicalities sake.

If I'm not being practical & the weathers kind I wear my HH A-2 or early Brooks CR & jeans. Underneath I'm fully covered in Draggin K Kevlar & Knox armour including a full length spine protector. Sturdy boots are always on my feet.

I've got a full face Shark Carbon helmet with built in sun visor for my bonce, did see a Harley guy today in a de-constructed matt black full face, no visor & a pair of RayBan glasses..wouldn't mind one of those helmets for not being practical on warm days..I've already got several pairs of RayBan (all Wayfarers)

Edward

Bartender
Thanks! I am not that keen on modern textile gear either.
The Roadskin jeans with armor seem like a good option. As for the jackets, I found this:
https://www.bksleather.co.uk/
They're not cheap by any measure, but can make vintage themed jackets with armor.
There are, over the last couple of years, suddenly a huge number of retro jackets with armourvon the market. Still mostly 70s style (like the Lewis Supermonza, or the Revit Vaughn), but improving all the time.

Edward

Bartender
I don't like modern textile jackets but own one for practicalities sake.

If I'm not being practical & the weathers kind I wear my HH A-2 or early Brooks CR & jeans. Underneath I'm fully covered in Draggin K Kevlar & Knox armour including a full length spine protector. Sturdy boots are always on my feet.

I've got a full face Shark Carbon helmet with built in sun visor for my bonce, did see a Harley guy today in a de-constructed matt black full face, no visor & a pair of RayBan glasses..wouldn't mind one of those helmets for not being practical on warm days..I've already got several pairs of RayBan (all Wayfarers)

I've taken rather a liking to the NX version of the Premier Trophy, tho I'd need a pair of prescription goggle with that too. Good way of getting airflow without risking my beautiful face, tho. ;-)

draws

Practically Family
You touch on an important topic regarding safety and what one wears while riding in addition to preferred helmet. As you may notice below and in my avatar, the wife and I dress for protection regardless the weather. I always wear buckled field boots with breeches (leftovers from my equestrian days) along with armor jackets and armor waist/tail/hip/thigh padding. I often wear a thin light weight bright yellow over jacket when the weather isn't too hot. I know, this isn't the norm but who really cares when having such may make a final difference between injury or worse. We are very cautious when riding since there is such a high percentage of accidents involving someone running a stop or leaving a local business. I have learned, while riding horses, that any possible moving or anchored obstruction (left/right/up/down/front/rear) can be fatal. This means slowing down at cross streets or when another vehicle even appears to be just preparing to enter my line of view. Besides, since I am fascinated by vintage, It's also a very Vintage look as well with the exception of the helmet of course.

IMG_3112small.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner