Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not believe I have ever heard a dumb remark about my hats or any clothing for that matter. In fact, I get great comments and compliments:eusa_clap

I simply love to express myself through my clothes. People seem to respond very positively;)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
At the Vintage Clothing Expo in L.A., I wore my father's 1946 gray, pin-striped, DB suit, my gray Jaxon "Bogie" fedora, a hand-painted Bold Look necktie, and some modern, black, semi-wing tips. An older female vendor, who looked like she must have stopped a few trucks in her younger days, said to me, "You look nice!" I thanked her, and started to walk away. She replied, "Thank you!" and then just above whisper level uttered, "Eye candy..." Embarrassing, but complimentary none-the-less.:eek:

Edward

Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
It sounds like a great outfit Edward, I'm not surprised!

Well, thanks! :eek:

I was on the other side of the camera while at Spitalfields last year--literally chased a guy across the market to take his picture he looked so great. Which is something I'd probably never do at home but I could hide behind the "crazy American tourist" thing while on vacation. He was very nice about it.

Yes, you can see some great looks round there of a weekend, especially if you're into the rockabilly thing. :)

funneman

Practically Family
Last week it was cold here in South Florida, I was at my son's soccer game
in my brown Penny's Marathon, dress shirt, tie, beige corduroy slacks and trench coat.

I was feeling a little angry after having endured the dreaded Inspector Gadet remark from a teenager. An incident that I mentioned in the "stupidest comments" thread.

At the end of the game, the coach's wife had such wonderful things to say
about my outfit that the Inspector Gadet remark didn't seem to matter much.

Besides, she is way better looking! :rolleyes:

Goose.

Practically Family
Big Man said:
Funny how that "way better looking" thing quickly outweighs any negative comments previously experienced. ;)
Well...this guy doesn't fall in the "way better looking" category....but I was wearing my Sydney yesterday. An older gent (VERY nice guy) at the watering hole said, "Goose, that is the nicest hat I have ever seen anyone where here". It's biker bar. Then, there's the fact that the guy that said to me owes me a drink. Add to that, he probably had a beer buzz going on.

So, now that I reflect upon it, never mind :D

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I agree, always better to remember the compliments, I had thought about the dumbest comment for a year or so now.

I do seem to get more compliments from ladies and a few people when they see I'm smoking a pipe think I'm "the coolest person ever" - slightly bemusing but a compliment none the less.

I think my favourite is the occasions when I get beeped at then wolf-whistled (or some equivalent) from young ladies in their cars. Often happens when I'm on a bicycle wearing my three-piece.

Ah that's made me smile now :)

duggap

Banned
Today I wore my Jazzman from Art F. It is the tallest crown on any hat I own but every time I wear it I get positive comments. Today at lunch a man walked across the restaurant and tapped me on the shoulder just to say he liked my hat. Then at the Dollar store the clerk complimented me on my hat. Two in one hour. Thanks Art.:p :eusa_clap :p

TopSpin

New in Town
Ha, I love this thread. Just read it in its entirety. Much better than the 'worst comment' section by far. :)

anon`

One Too Many
Not the nicest, I don't think, that I've ever heard, but one that nevertheless stands out: I arrived to work this morning and was wandering around taking care of some stuff when the office manager asked if I knew who "Sam Marlowe" was.

Confused, I replied that no, I did not, but that I knew of a Philip Marlowe.

'Yes,' I was told, 'that's right.'

'Philip Marlowe as in Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe?' I enquired.

'Yeah,' replies my manager, 'a client called earlier and asked if the Philip Marlowe guy would be in, because of your suits I guess.'

I have no idea which client this was that asked this, but I suppose there are worse people to be compared to ;)

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
I have just begun wearing my fedoras lately and have not gotten many comments yet good or bad. But I did see a gentleman the other day walking into Sam's club and I could not resist telling him he had a nice hat. Keeping the "other" comment thread in mind I said:

"That's a sharp hat you have there sir!"

The gentleman turned around beaming a smile. It seemed that I had made his day!

It's as nice to give as it is to recieve!;)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ I agree, If I see a person with a nice hat on, I make a point to compliment them on it. Although some of the looks they give ME are fun, "why is she doing that...is she being serious?" I was wearing my hat on a train and a man was wearing his when he got off at his stop I said something about his hat and he looked A.surprised B.pleased C.his wife/girlfriend smiled as well. Made me feel happy lol

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I've only had good comments,if any comments at all.Thats in many,many years of wearing hats of all kinds.I suppose it has something to do with where I live,most all men wear hats in Arizona,New Mexico,Colorado,Texas.It's nothing out of the ordinary to see almost any kind of hat.

Jabos

A-List Customer
I received my first comment Sunday morning, wearing my Campdraft. A fellow was getting in his car with his wife and said, "Nice hat. I hope to get one like that when I retire." I don't know why retirement matters, unless he is getting a big pension or something. But, he was older I don't think he was making an "old man hat" reference. He seemed sincere.

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
Jabos said:
"Nice hat. I hope to get one like that when I retire."

While normally that would have sounded like a smart-alec remark, it seems he may associate a fine hat with leisure.

Was there a time that a nice hat was the customary retirement gift?

Aerol

A-List Customer
Perhaps he was saying that when he retired he could dress as he pleased, rather than as he had to (for business).

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jabos said:
I received my first comment Sunday morning, wearing my Campdraft. A fellow was getting in his car with his wife and said, "Nice hat. I hope to get one like that when I retire." I don't know why retirement matters, unless he is getting a big pension or something. But, he was older I don't think he was making an "old man hat" reference. He seemed sincere.

Maybe he aspires to be what you represent;) ;) :eusa_clap

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Walking into my office building today I received a "You look dapper" comment from a woman who works in the building. Earlier this year I was walking around the complex wearing my fawn Campdraft and got a "Great Hat! from a man wearing some kind of fawn colored fedora with a turned down brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav