Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

rrog

A-List Customer
chanteuseCarey said:
I wore my blk/whit/red outfit with the big straw hat to choir practice Thursday evening. He said, "You look great. I'm think that's your best outfit yet."
362986341.jpg

And what part do you sing in the choir, CC? Whatever it is, I'm looking for one of those in my choir, especially ones that dress as nicely as you. :eusa_clap

rrog

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Not so much a nice comment, but a cute one. I was on the way to a play today, wearing a pinstripe 3-piece with spats and my black Dunn homburg. There was a little boy a few seats behind on the bus talking to his mom, and I distinctly heard, '...and he looks like he's going to a wedding, 'cause he's wearing a posh hat!'. lol

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday my wife and I went into town to go to Lush, since they're closing for a month for a major refurbishment, and Cassie wanted to stock up. I wore my off-white linen suit, a red pattern bow, and Olney boater, and got several comment while in town. The girl at Lush, with bright green hair, loved the suit and boater. Another guy walking out of a store as we walked past gave me the thumbs up, and I even saw some older ladies on a bus pointing at me.

Later in the day I went to a small vintage clothing shop near me. I hung up my hat on the edge of the rack while roothing through jackets, and while doing so another guy in the shop picked it up and went to the mirror :eek:

Also while in there, a group of college-age girls came in, and the first one in said 'Wow, look at this guy!' The owner of the shop, who had kindly set my hat aside for me so it didn't get taken again, told her 'You haven't seen all of it, either', to which the young woman, with a raised eyebrow and a smile said 'You mean there's more?'

She left to get money to pay for something, and I had just put my hat on to go when she came back in. She also liked it and asked if I was going to a garden party, and was impressed when I told her it was 'just a nice day'.

bdb71

New in Town
I had on my newly refurbished blue Dobbs jean shorts and a black tshirt with blue airbrushed skulls. I had just finished loading my twins in the truck from breakfast, as I was coming around the back of the truck a rather snappy dressed African American gentelman walked out the front door, gave me a nod, and said "You are WEARIN that hat my brotha" jumped in his red porsche and zipped off. It made me feel my first refurb was a success:)

mmccabe

New in Town
A couple weeks ago I was out wearing a summer off white sport jacket (get lots of remarks on it. $5 at Sal's Boutique) and my
Bailey faux straw fedora. The cashier says" You remind me of that guy from "Night Court".

LordBest

Practically Family
A very nice lady in an antique/gift shop told me how 'wonderful it was to see well polished shoes on a younger person these days, and a hat'. and gave me an 10% off an antique Egyptian fez I was purchasing (on top of 30% from a sale). Awfully nice of her, what.

rrog

A-List Customer
mmccabe said:
A couple weeks ago I was out wearing a summer off white sport jacket (get lots of remarks on it. $5 at Sal's Boutique) and my
Bailey faux straw fedora. The cashier says" You remind me of that guy from "Night Court".

I would take that as a compliment. That show is one of my all time favorites!

rrog

Funny, as I was reading that, that's who I thought of, Harry his name was, rite?

mmccabe said:

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Was at work today minding my own business when a customer came up to me and asked "what got you started wearing fedoras?" Mind you, I wasn't wearing my fedora.

I answered that I thought they were sharp and I like old clothing. She responded "well, my son saw you wearing one the other day and thought it was the coolest thing, like Indiana Jones. I have to agree, you look very handsome in them".

I was pretty much blushing by now and said thank you before she walked off.

Also, an older gentleman I see at work has started calling me "late '30s, early '40s man". Told me he remembers those days.

I wasn't sure how to take this 'comment' today. I was at McDonald's today and a group of people had their camera phones out taking pictures of my hair. I wear my hair slicked back, with a side part, pompadour, and a ducktail. I just laughed it off, I'm a pretty light-hearted guy, and took it as a compliment. To really give them a kick, I busted the comb out of my pocket and started slicking the sides back down, etc.

My friends took offense to it and apparantly confronted them when I went to the restroom. The guys just said that they liked my hair and hadn't seen anybody with their hair like that in person. The lady I was with was actually charmed by the attention and said that I was famous like Elvis haha.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
rrog- Thanks! I try to dress my best for Sunday church, especially with being in the choir. I'm singing second soprano right now, but otherwise have done first soprano. Though for one song that I did the solo with our womens' ensemble, I sang the alto and first soprano solo parts- none of the other ladies would touch the solo part on that one! That song was called "I've Got Joy". The nice compliment on my outfit came from the Music Pastor, and he's pretty rare for compliments of any kind- so that meant alot.

rrog said:
And what part do you sing in the choir, CC? Whatever it is, I'm looking for one of those in my choir, especially ones that dress as nicely as you. :eusa_clap

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
chanteuseCarey said:
The nice compliment on my outfit came from the Music Pastor, and he's pretty rare for compliments of any kind- so that meant alot.

I can think of two possible reasons for this. One is that the Music Pastor (which I am in my church) doesn't want to compliment the choir too much. They'll think they're so good they don't have to come to choir practice anymore. :rolleyes: And the other reason may be because of the ever-present potential for someone to take the compliment in the wrong way and therefore question the intentions/integrity of the pastor. I know it sounds paranoid, but it pays to be cautious. Plus, you know what they say about being paranoid: just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me. ;)

Have a good day.
rrog

funneman

Practically Family
My ten year old son wore his brown Lord Tarleton to the Costco warehouse
over the weekend. When he got back he came running into the house,
his face was all lit up and he says "Dad, the guy at the check out said to me,
"Hey Dog, nice hat.""

;)

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
I was in the grocery story last night wearing my Federation IV in my new Indy (Raiders) bash and I don't normally get comments at all (6'2" and slightly intimidating to most) but I walked past a little girl (2 years maybe) in a cart who grinned ear to ear when she saw me. I couldn't help but smile and tipped my hat at which point she clapped. She didn't actually say anything but I took it as a compliment :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats