Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We went to have our picture made for the church directory today and the lady taking the picture said, "Oh yeah, you are the one everyone says always dresses so nice."

Landman

One Too Many
I was at the dentist's office last week and when I was checking out the young female dental assistant stopped and said "I really like your hat. I wish men would start wearing hats like that again. I hate baseball caps". I was wearing a silverbelly Open Road style hat by Art Fawcett. This one had a center pinch teardrop crease in it. Where I live, western hats with cattleman's creases are very popular and practically go unnoticed but a hat with a fedora crease seems to get a lot of attention. I have also noticed a lot of the compliments I get are from younger people. I think hats are making a comeback with the younger generation but it seems most of the hats they wear are stingy brims. When they see a fedora style hat with a wider brim they notice it immediately.

Pulled into the supermarket on Saturday, wearing my Stratoliner. A guy was standing there, smiling at me like I was an old friend. He said, "I love that fedora, that is a nice look!" He kept walking with his friend and I could hear him talking about how he remembered how everybody used to wear them.

-30-

A-List Customer
"He kept walking with his friend and I could hear him talking about how he remembered how everybody used to wear them."
QUOTE: AtomicEraTom.

We still do!

Regards,
-30-

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pulled into the supermarket on Saturday, wearing my Stratoliner. A guy was standing there, smiling at me like I was an old friend. He said, "I love that fedora, that is a nice look!" He kept walking with his friend and I could hear him talking about how he remembered how everybody used to wear them.

Fedoras are a nice look. It took about fifty years of intervening no-hat time for the popular taste to roll back around to that though. I do believe that Western culture was oversaturated with the businessman's hat look and the whole adult uniform thing that had been growing. Now that we've burst out of that bondage, and had a lot of years in the middle to try other things, the value of the look can be seen from fresh eyes instead of prejudiced your-father's-hat kind of eyes.

Sometimes that rebellious flair that people have really works against those of us who like tradition lol

Fedoras are a nice look. It took about fifty years of intervening no-hat time for the popular taste to roll back around to that though. I do believe that Western culture was oversaturated with the businessman's hat look and the whole adult uniform thing that had been growing. Now that we've burst out of that bondage, and had a lot of years in the middle to try other things, the value of the look can be seen from fresh eyes instead of prejudiced your-father's-hat kind of eyes.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Sometimes that rebellious flair that people have really works against those of us who like tradition lol

Tradition is at its best when there's sincere enthusiasm in discovering it, I think. I think rediscovering the fedora will prove to be better than if it had never been forgotten. A fresh set of eyes.

Perhaps you're right. Your theory makes complete sense to me. Whatever it takes to get people excited in tradition and in vintage, in general, is alright by me.

Tradition is at its best when there's sincere enthusiasm in discovering it, I think. I think rediscovering the fedora will prove to be better than if it had never been forgotten. A fresh set of eyes.

Mystic

Practically Family
Maybe not the nicest comment I ever heard, but this is Hilarious!

Had to go the court house for jury duty selection this morning. I sometimes wear a hearing aid for better clarity in crowded surroundings. So, as I was waiting with about 50 other people waiting for instructions on procedures. It occurred to me that I just might be excused if I couldn't hear well. So, I asked to see the Judge to be excused from jury duty.

When I went into the Judge's office I was holding my hat. A Emerson Ten Dryette that I posted in the What are you wearing today thread this morning.

I explained my hearing problem to the Judge. Answered a few questions with a couple of "excuse me" and "what" thrown in. Then the Judge asked me about my hat. He looked it over, showed quite a bit of interest. We talked about fedoras and my interest in hats for about 10-15 minutes. He said he thought he would like to have a couple of fedoras to wear with suits.
He then said he would excuse me from jury duty because my hearing problem could cause a problem in the court room during the hearings.

After I thanked him.....he said...."Your hearing problem seems to be much better when discussing your hats"....he laughed and said but, I really like your hat.

Hilarious !! :pound:

Maybe not the nicest comment I ever heard, but this is Hilarious!

Had to go the court house for jury duty selection this morning. I sometimes wear a hearing aid for better clarity in crowded surroundings. So, as I was waiting with about 50 other people waiting for instructions on procedures. It occurred to me that I just might be excused if I couldn't hear well. So, I asked to see the Judge to be excused from jury duty.

When I went into the Judge's office I was holding my hat. A Emerson Ten Dryette that I posted in the What are you wearing today thread this morning.

I explained my hearing problem to the Judge. Answered a few questions with a couple of "excuse me" and "what" thrown in. Then the Judge asked me about my hat. He looked it over, showed quite a bit of interest. We talked about fedoras and my interest in hats for about 10-15 minutes. He said he thought he would like to have a couple of fedoras to wear with suits.
He then said he would excuse me from jury duty because my hearing problem could cause a problem in the court room during the hearings.

After I thanked him.....he said...."Your hearing problem seems to be much better when discussing your hats"....he laughed and said but, I really like your hat.

Hilarious !! :pound:

Well, hats are just more interesting so you listen more intently. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff