Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

B1ggles

Familiar Face
I went to a funeral Tuesday and wore my vintage Borsalino Homburg - first time I've worn it 'in the wild', it seemed to need a more formal setting, which this was, so I wore it with a dark Crombie-style coat.

It drew several compliments, including 'nice touch' from an old gent at the funeral and an offer to swap for his sparkly xmas hat from the local butcher. The swap was rejected graciously.

Time to FIRE up this thread with today's CLASSIC comment from the coffee gal at Whole Foods...

She being an obviously style-conscious person, (she looked marvelous) stopped me before I turned away with my coffee to say (gesturing head to toe) that she really, REALLY liked my SWAG. Are you kidding me?!?!?! I have swag?!? Now I have to GooGoo "Swag" to see where I stand, but my "kids" all tell me it's good -- to their shock.

What rain? It's a GREAT day!!

IMG_6909.jpg
Go figure...

Time to FIRE up this thread with today's CLASSIC comment from the coffee gal at Whole Foods...

She being an obviously style-conscious person, (she looked marvelous) stopped me before I turned away with my coffee to say (gesturing head to toe) that she really, REALLY liked my SWAG. Are you kidding me?!?!?! I have swag?!? Now I have to GooGoo "Swag" to see where I stand, but my "kids" all tell me it's good -- to their shock.

View attachment 29669
Go figure...

I think, it has a nice touch of Harrison Ford. Looks good and cool!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 29669
Go figure...

Well bling is jewlery so "swag" is what? Swagger...?

Well bling is jewlery so "swag" is what? Swagger...?

My mother (88 years of age, but don't say I said so...) told me that "swag," or swagger was an OLD word from HER era. I was under the impression that it had to be uber-contemporary. Both of us are Waayyy behind on such matters, Bob.

Thank you guys for such kind comments!

My mother (88 years of age, but don't say I said so...) told me that "swag," or swagger was an OLD word from HER era. I was under the impression that it had to be uber-contemporary. Both of us are Waayyy behind on such matters, Bob.

I think, "swag" means classy coolness or stylish. Appearing with style/attitude, I guess.

First, I think of Leonard Cohen in these days, in his suits.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 29669
Go figure...

it just means you have style and attitude

so she is right

It depends on the context in which it's used. In this context, "swag" is indeed short for "swagger", which is commonly defined as "Having a demeanor of confidence; presenting comfortability with his/her self." However, in modern usage it can also be an acronym referring to free gifts given to attendees of special events, i.e. "Stuff We All Get".

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
"Swag" used to mean "loot". If you looked, you could probably find a cartoon from 100 years ago with a burglar wearing a black mask and carrying a sack labelled "swag". Or possibly a political cartoon highlighting graft.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
"Swag" used to mean "loot". If you looked, you could probably find a cartoon from 100 years ago with a burglar wearing a black mask and carrying a sack labelled "swag". Or possibly a political cartoon highlighting graft.

back then it meant anything free .... that was often stolen

for example.... maybe a mobsters wife would get to pick through the "swag" that "fell off the truck" on it's way to the clothing store

humanshoes

One Too Many
The woman working behind the counter at my local deli informed me that she thought I looked "very sophisticated with your fedora and pipe" whereby I replied "Thank you very much, but there is nothing more beautiful to me than a gorgeous woman slicing corned beef" Okay, so I'm not exactly Mr. Smooth.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Guess so! Lol. Good words always hang around or come back.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Courtesy Wikipedia:

"In the early 1800s, the term swag was used by British thieves to describe any amount of stolen goods. One definition given in Francis Grose's 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue is "any booty you have lately obtained,.... To carry the swag is to be the bearer of the stolen goods to a place of safety."[3] James Hardy Vaux, a convict in Australia, used the term for similar purposes in his memoirs written in 1812 and published in 1819.[4] By the 1830s, the term in Australia had transferred from meaning goods acquired by a thief to the possessions and daily necessaries carried by a bushman. The compound swagman and colloquial variation swaggie first appeared in the 1850s during the Australian gold rushes, alongside less common terms such as bundleman.[5] New Zealanders adopted the term in the 1880s, where swagmen were also known as swaggers.[6] Swagger also originated in Australia, but became obsolete there by the 1890s.[7]"

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
SWAG is also used in geocaching, meaning the stuff you find in the cache once found, you get one leave one. So swag to me is the same as the others that posted about stuff, swagger is different to me, same as the previous posted definition.

And yes, I know many kids today who "cut off" or shorten words, my opinion is that much of it came from the words we used in the online chats rooms of the 90's & much of it from military speak. But I'll never endorse the dropping of letters from words just so they can fit it into twitter...OMG, tht brd is s blu..... Gah, save me from that laziness unless you actually have a broken keyboard or rarely drop a letter due to typing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley