Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Musashi

One of the Regulars
I'm convinced that if they could get them easily, and for less than the 'hardcore' prices we pay, that a lot of young people in their late teens and early 20's would wear fedoras. I get tons of compliments on my hats. and about half of them are from that age group.

Musashi said:
I'm convinced that if they could get them easily, and for less than the 'hardcore' prices we pay, that a lot of young people in their late teens and early 20's would wear fedoras. I get tons of compliments on my hats. and about half of them are from that age group.

That's probably true Musashi, I refer a lot of folks to E-bay, because I have gotten some pretty decent deals on hats that are not "hot items" (ie whippets, stratoliners, etc,) but still pretty nice hats. I see some of the younger members here also experimenting with less expensive brands and even wool styles to develop their look or taste in hats, before jumping full speed ahead into the more expensive ones. I think some of the celebrity wearers such as Johnny Depp have also popularized the fedora look.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Wearing my Federation, I was taking a walk by the local park, and I went into the restroom. As I was washing up afterwards, a little kid had said, "Nice hat!" That was actually very polite. All I could think of to respond with was a simple thank you, but I probably could have pointed out that my hat was in fact a fedora, for his future reference.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
There is one compliment i will never forget. I was buying brylcreem in wal-mart one day, wearing my pinstripe zoot suit. I passed a elderly veteran who was sitting on a bench just before entering the isle where the hair care products were. Just as i picked up the brylcreem, i saw that the veteran, who had to be in his 80's-90's, got up, walked to me, and said how much he liked my suit and how he hadn't seen one like mine in a long time. The smile on his face is still fresh in my head.

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
While doing WW II homefront living history, I frequently have veterans tell me they admire my hat, suit and shoes. I have been told several times that my suit was what they wanted when they were young, but could not afford it.

Also at Reading this year an attractive young woman wanted to be photographed with me the day I was wearing my seersucker, white bucks and Optimo Colonial. That is flattering for an overweight 55 year old.

theinterchange

One Too Many
It's interesting to me how quickly we [mostly meaning myself] want to chime in with negative experiences. But, in my experience, the positives FAR outweigh them.

Just yesterday evening while popping over to the grocery store, I had several "nice hat!" smiles. While no words were exchanged, just the fact that someone gave me a genuine smile made my evening. :) While I don't let people's thoughts one way or another sway me, it always feels good to have affirmation that you don't look like a raving idiot.

What was really interesting about this is the people who did said smiling were dressed atrociously... stripes and plaids together, socks hiked to their knees with sandals... you get the picture. :p

Randy

Herzen

One of the Regulars
I must say that, in my experience, comments regarding my headwear are overwhelmingly positive. I rarely go out without receiving at least one "Nice hat!".

It certainly can brighten one's day!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I get a lot of compliments on my Campdraft. It's well proportioned and the color throws off the indy comments, along with the thin ribbon.

Plus, the hat screams "authority".

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Nice, I think

I was thinking of posting this on the "dumbest comment" thread, but I had decided that the gentleman meant it as a compliment...

I was wearing a brown Fed Deluxe as I walked in the other day. A coworker told me, "Jacob, I think I'm going to have you make me a watch next week."

I'm not really sure what it means? But I realized he meant it as the nicest thing he could think of :)

Herzen

One of the Regulars
Had another great one today! Was at the county fair, wearing (what else?) my straw boater, when a youngish guy came up to me and said "Dude, I gotta tell ya, of all the hats, caps, and do-rags I've seen today, yours is number one."

:D

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
danofarlington said:
I'd rather have his face and hair.

lol

I received a message from an acquaintance the other day asking if my hat and I could come down for a TV advertisement shoot for a chap running for the congress; couldn’t oblige the request, but at least it made me feel good.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Paying it forward...

I was recently in our local Harley Davidson shop & got a great compliment from one of the mechanics there. I had my Whippet on that day. He was wearing a nice little pork pie number that didn't took expensive & he admitted that he paid too much for what he got. We got into a fun conversation about hats, both new and vintage, & he said something about being in the market for a better hat according to himself so I gave this mechanic the info for Art & John and wished him the best. Hopefully he'll contact one of them & get the exact hat he wants. Just trying to pay it forward.

Cheers!

Dan

CRH

Call Me a Cab
B.J. Hedberg said:
lol

I received a message from an acquaintance the other day asking if my hat and I could come down for a TV advertisement shoot for a chap running for the congress; couldn’t oblige the request, but at least it made me feel good.

I'm a little wary of supporting politicians myself. :rolleyes:

navarre

Vendor
In downtown Seattle this week, I was headed down the street, whistling into the evening air, as I often do. Stopped at a crosswalk when a woman, arms full of shopping bags toutched me on the shoulder and said " You whistle beautifully."
"Thank you" I said.
"I'm on the last day of my vacation. Hearing you whistle and then seeing you walking in such a nice suit and hat took me back to a better time. What a great way to end my vacation."
Have to say, I was speachless.
So I tipped my hat.

www.blacksheephatworks.com

Pompidou

One Too Many
So, tonight I go for my usual Friday night at the bar, it's a longstanding tradition. I've got my new Art Fawcett unique creation on my head - the bright red and black one you can see in the Hall of Fame and in my avatar. This lady walks up to me and asks, "Can I ask you a question?" and I might as well say yes, so I say, "Yeah, what?" and she asks "How can you be so brave to wear a hat like that here?" and I say, "Brave? It's just what I do." Then she asks, "Can I wear it?" And I say, "Well, it costs 300-350 or so, so be careful, and don't walk off with it." She'd done the same a couple weeks ago with my Stetson Whippet and I couldn't care less. I let people pass that one around. This hat is me, though, it's one of a kind. So, she puts it on, says, "Looks better on me (meaning her), and hands it back." For the first time, I cringe when she picks it up by the crown, because this is the first hat I'm babying. Not sure if it's good or bad. It's just an anecdote, and despite what I told all the ladies that tried on the Stetson, this hat looks way better on me than them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner