Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Aerol

A-List Customer
Coming home from dinner, about 8:30 in the evening, this week, a Flava-Flave look-alike (including very dark sunglasses) said "you're really wearing that brim, Bro."

I know a compliment when I hear one, and thanked him.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well here's a new story. So I was wandering around my community college campus in-between classes, and at the cafeteria, I was approached by a girl saying "I like your style!" I had to do a double take, and ask, "Oh, what?" She said, "I like your style, I think you look nice," or something to that effect. "Thank you! Yeah, I sometimes do this (speaking of my fedora, a Federation IV brown)," and I smiled. I clearly remember being somewhat shy about it, but I acknowledged the compliment to my attire. I'm almost positive that it was the hat that got me noticed, but I was wearing a khaki, cotton B-15 jacket too. Then the rest was just jeans and a denim shirt. I wasn't particularly dressy today, but I was dressing more for warmth as it was cold this morning.

Certainly one of the nicest compliments I've received!

metropd

One Too Many
I was walking to a bar last night at around 11:30 for a drink, when a young Brotha was walking with some girls, he took of his sunglasses (in the middle of the night) turned to the girls and said "Thats either an O.G. or a young Fred Astaire."

I was walking a few days ago to get pizza in Little Italy, and a little girl turned to her mom and said "look Mommy its a Prince."

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
The campus has been flooded with a sea of new and returning undergrads. While waiting for the bus yesterday I got a lot of strange looks, then as a group of three girls walked by one said "Excuse me, sir, my friend really likes your style but is too shy to say so." :eek:

Phoenix_400

New in Town
A few from over the last couple of months:

Couple of ladies at work keep threatening to steal my fedoras, LOL! I'm also now known as 'The Guy in the Hat' at work....Mission Accomplished! :D

My friends are really likin' my new Park Royal vented. I showed a buddy a pic of the Stetson Ashland I've got on order and he talked about how his dad used to always wear a hat just like it when he took his family on hikes in Germany.

The W.M. of my Lodge told me I was looking very dapper one evening when I wore my hat in.

One funny lil convo' the other day,

Lady at work the other day: "Are you goin' bald or something?"
Me: *Pulls off hat to reveal full mop of brown* Nope!
Lady: Oh you've got nice hair, do you just like hats?
Me: Yup! :D

Honestly, the fedoras get noticed more, but my '41 replica Zippo gets the most comments. Always something about the sound or the smell and association with people's fathers/grandfathers/etc.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Pompidou said:
Best compliment ever, in the Art Fawcett, of course - "You look like a Tim Burton character." That's a compliment to me.

I would count that as one, too! Though, I don't know what I'd think of someone saying I LOOK like Burton. :p

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
Over the weekend, I got the most compliments I've had in some time.

In a convenience store, I had a short conversation with a guy who had just received one of his grandpas fedoras.

But the crowning exchange there was a very attractive girl in line in front of me kept turning around and grinning at me. [I would respond with what had to be a stupid smile. :D ] As I walked out, I noticed her gassing up her car, following me with her eyes. It was one of those "is she really giving me that sort of look?" things or I'd have spoke to her. :eek:

Then later the same day, I was in a store and passed a guy wearing a Hawaiian shirt, swimming trunks, and sneakers. He stopped me and asked where I got my hat "cause you don't see many like it around here! It's GREAT!" I don't know what to think of style comments from that source but chatted with and thanked him then went on my way.

Randy

This past weekend we flew to Boston and then later went up to Vermont for a seminar. I wore my moonstone Fed IV, figured gray is a versatile color. A gentleman in First Class says "like your hat". I of course, thanked him and kept on to the coach seats.

On a related note, wore the Fed hiking up Stowe Summit, it survived without being blown off my head, plus some rain and sweat. At the airport Sunday nite our flight is delayed for 3 hrs, so my wife decides to nap on the floor so she can spread out. Other passengers in the area alerted her to some mice running around in the gate area, so she jumps back into the seat, directly on my hat. I was amazed, it popped right out, a little wrinkly, but still wearable.
Those Akubras are great.

Also saw a young man in the airport with a nice gray fedora, looked newer, stingy brim turned up. Looked good on him, sort of an Elvis Costello look.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Since I am a writer

Well, I am a writer and at a political event last week someone said, "Man, with the fedora you are the perfect example of a reporter."

Now, since I am a constant detractor of the modern media establishment, it MIGHT be an insult, but the guy meant it as a compliment, so I will settle for that!
:)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
"you look like the type of mafia man I'd date"
Wearing a suit (I don't wear vintage, I prefer bespoke modern cut) and a hat from W&W. She was gorgeous!. :rolleyes:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Went in to the department today, in a three piece with a new green bowtie, and one of the new postgrad students, a girl from France, says "Wow, you are so elegant!"

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aureliano said:
"you look like the type of mafia man I'd date"
Wearing a suit (I don't wear vintage, I prefer bespoke modern cut) and a hat from W&W. She was gorgeous!. :rolleyes:
Great. Somehow I think the majority of FL participants are shooting for reactions like that.

r00tuk

New in Town
Today it was chucking it down in London and my wife got herself a hat from James Lock & Co. A couple of hours later in a shoe shop, one of the assistants complimented both of us on our hats. She was very chuffed and so was I in my Federation IV.

So many stingy trilbies about in London this year and will be very surprised if I don't see people progressing to fedoras and medium trilbies.

Jeff1969

New in Town
I wore my fedora into the office for the first time into a few weeks ago. Lots of compliments, including one from my boss, "You look very 50s dapper." A couple women commented on it the day after I wore it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Today I wore my Akubra Fed IV (with my leather jacket as it was cold), and while I was sitting down on a bench in between classes, a guy walked by and said, "Nice hat bro!" I thanked him after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot