Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Landman

One Too Many
She asked who Dick Tracy was.

The other day I was at the grocery store and was wearing a Stetson Open Road. The young man at the checkout counter said "I like your hat man....it's not really a cowboy hat but kind of is". I thanked him and told him it was a Stetson then while I was paying my bill I casually mentioned it was the same style of hat LBJ used to wear except he wore Resistols. The kid just stared at me with a blank look on his face. I thought maybe I confused him with too much hat information and then after a long pause he said "Oh yea...he was the President after Kennedy right?"

The other day I was at the grocery store and was wearing a Stetson Open Road. The young man at the checkout counter said "I like your hat man....it's not really a cowboy hat but kind of is". I thanked him and told him it was a Stetson then while I was paying my bill I casually mentioned it was the same style of hat LBJ used to wear except he wore Resistols. The kid just stared at me with a blank look on his face. I thought maybe I confused him with too much hat information and then after a long pause he said "Oh yea...he was the President after Kennedy right?"

Close enough I guess. :rolleyes:
"No, he was the one after Lincoln." :p

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I got a great compliment today, which was a nice pick me up after the sad task I had been doing. As I was walking back to my car, a lady waiting at the bus stop smiled broadly and said, "Oh! Where are you going today so dressed up?" I had come from scattering my mom's ashes, but I felt like that answer would dampen her spirits, so I simply said I had an occasion earlier and that now I had to go to work. She smiled again and said I looked great and she really loved my hat (black wool homburg by scala). I tipped my hat and said thank you and left with a smile, wishing her a nice day.

I got a great compliment today, which was a nice pick me up after the sad task I had been doing. As I was walking back to my car, a lady waiting at the bus stop smiled broadly and said, "Oh! Where are you going today so dressed up?" I had come from scattering my mom's ashes, but I felt like that answer would dampen her spirits, so I simply said I had an occasion earlier and that now I had to go to work. She smiled again and said I looked great and she really loved my hat (black wool homburg by scala). I tipped my hat and said thank you and left with a smile, wishing her a nice day.

Oh geez! I am sorry for your loss. At least you got a decent comment and it was when you needed it most.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My hat received a call out from the stage last evening. :)

Last evening I was fortunate to see a couple of world-class bluesy fingerstyle guitar folk’s play at a local coffee shop. Pat Donahue and Mary Flowers joined forces for a memorable 2 hours. Man they can groove. I am a fan of the acoustic blues stuff of the 1920-40's. Can you imagine they played locally in a coffee shop for audience tips? They are class acts who genuinely love performing music. As you imagine I tipped well!

My wife saved me a seat next to the wall in the rarely crowded local coffee shop. My arrival was late, as I had to finish up and close the business. I was wearing my Art Fawcett VS hat. Normally I would have taken the hat off, but I could not imagine where I could safely place the hat if I removed the hat. So it stayed on my head. Also my baldpate was chilled in the 40'F temps of the evening.

The performers later in the set called out to the "swell hatted fellow" by the wall. "Grand hat," was the comment. I like to think my hat received the pleasant applause and swell in voices that followed. At the end of the performance, I shook their hands, thanked them and received more hat praise.

Today, I am more proud than ever to wear my hat in public.

Moved by the music and experience, Eric -

Pappyb23

New in Town
Had a cool moment at work a few months back, I had a rare opportunity to work in a suit instead of my uniform (police officer) and decided to top off my ensemble with my gray fedora. When I got in to work my Deputy Chief who is one of those “I’ve got more time in the job than you have on this earth” coppers took a double take and said that my hat and the sound of the type writers (which we also still use although not by choice) really brought him back to when he was a kid visiting his dad at the police station and he walked away with a smile on his face, that made my day and I like to think it made his.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I always love it when my students ask me about my hats. I would like to think that my 8th graders know the difference between bunny and beaver fur now lol They love my new Falcon Park custom

My hat received a call out from the stage last evening. :)

Last evening I was fortunate to see a couple of world-class bluesy fingerstyle guitar folk’s play at a local coffee shop. Pat Donahue and Mary Flowers joined forces for a memorable 2 hours. Man they can groove. I am a fan of the acoustic blues stuff of the 1920-40's. Can you imagine they played locally in a coffee shop for audience tips? They are class acts who genuinely love performing music. As you imagine I tipped well!

My wife saved me a seat next to the wall in the rarely crowded local coffee shop. My arrival was late, as I had to finish up and close the business. I was wearing my Art Fawcett VS hat. Normally I would have taken the hat off, but I could not imagine where I could safely place the hat if I removed the hat. So it stayed on my head. Also my baldpate was chilled in the 40'F temps of the evening.

The performers later in the set called out to the "swell hatted fellow" by the wall. "Grand hat," was the comment. I like to think my hat received the pleasant applause and swell in voices that followed. At the end of the performance, I shook their hands, thanked them and received more hat praise.

Today, I am more proud than ever to wear my hat in public.

Moved by the music and experience, Eric -

That's great, Eric. I always liked listening to Pat Donahue on Prairie Home Companion.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I was at the flea-market today. As I was shuffling out of one stall into another, there were two guys blocking my path, having a chat about books. As I approached, one said:

"Sorry mate, but this extremely well-dressed young man wants to get past us!"

"Hahaha!!...I try...I try..."

"You try, and succeed, mate!"

Yowzah!

Otateral

Familiar Face
I always love it when my students ask me about my hats. I would like to think that my 8th graders know the difference between bunny and beaver fur now lol They love my new Falcon Park custom

Gotta keep the next generation well versed in hats and hat etiquette. I still hope that someday people will rediscover hats and they will become close to what they once were.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I drove up to an intersection yesterday with a modern Stetson Stratoliner on. There was some utility work going on and as one
of the workers passed in front of me he looked at me, grinned , ran his thumb and forefinger across the brim of his hard hat then walked on giving me a thumbs up-- I took that as a compliment .

Side note: A quick stop into one of the local regional closeout/surplus-type store (official name, "Building 19") to check out the high-end men's clothing sale was a big win for me. Suits, jackets, topcoats, shirts, etc., at 75-85% off retail!! Hickey Freeman, Brioni, Armani, etc., etc. But, just remember, you can go broke saving money...

I was dressed "business casual" with my VS oxblood fedora, sportcoat, and typically coordinated shirt and trousers when a tiny woman of a certain age approached me to ask size advice for her nephew. I gave her the information needed to pick the right size shirt for her nephew, and then as I turned to leave she grabbed my sleeve and said with a grin, "With your hat and clothes, YOU are dressed PERFECTLY." It was a perfect beginning and ending to an already great afternoon.

Landman

One Too Many
I had an unusual incident the other day that I'll share. It was late one Friday afternoon and I needed a haircut. Since I don't have much hair left I don't really care who cuts it so I just stopped in one of those national haircut chains. I was wearing an old Open Road with a fedora bash. I was reading a magazine and waiting my turn. They called my name and I started walking to the back when this young girl (probably college age) steps out from one of the stalls. She was dressed like Marilyn Monroe in a white dress and had her hair and makeup done just like Marilyn. She even had a beauty mark on her face and looked exactly like her. I guess she was going to a costume party or was maybe in a play. We met in the hallway and she said "I love your hat." and just kept walking by me. I was so stunned I don't think I even replied. She looked so much like the real Marilyn the incident felt surreal. I probably responded the same way a man would have responded to a compliment from the real Marilyn Monroe!

I had a guy stop me at the supermarket a couple weeks ago.

He told me that he is retired from the oil business and traveled all over and never seen somebody like me. He said he liked my hats, my clothes, my cars, my hairstyle, and to never change. I guess you never know who's looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR