Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Prototype "MD1" - Matt Deckard Apparel Fedora!

Musashi said:
Mayserwegener: Notice your avatar says 'Maryland'... You would not happen to know of any hat shops in the Northern VA/Maryland area would you?

There is Hippodrome Hatters in Baltimore but they are on the lower end. Would be nice to have store similar to Bencraft Hatters in the DC - Baltimore area.

mike said:
Did you received yours? Love to see some shots and an in depth review! :)

Yes and no, I got to see it briefly but when Matt was inspecting his shipment of hats when they came in, he had found a "problem" with my specific hat and sent it back to the maker to get it done right. So I should see mine sometime after the holidays. (Just my luck!:eusa_doh: Life is full of surprises.)

Matt has the measured eye as they say, as such he wants it to be to his specifications and standards or it doesn't go out.

If things go right, we may video playing with the open crown & getting the bash right,

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
mayserwegener said:
The Stetson Nostalgia has a higher crown and less taper than other modern Stetsons. It also comes open crown. I will have to compare it to the MD-1.

I own both. The MD-1 has a better sweat, an excellent binding (doesn't curl like after-market applied bindings), and the ribbon is a much better color than the flat black/navy. Plus the Nostalgia is raw edge and you get all that powder in the felt.

I did a custom job on my Nostalgia and the hatter ruined it by putting a taper into a clean and block that he insisted on doing. Waiting to find a hatter who has a straight block to send it back out.

Being subject to both taper and shrinkage for many of the modern felts seems to be much more common.

We were speculating that the vintage felts were subjected to a better or longer felting process making for a tighter, stronger felt which meant it was already "pre-shrunk" so the felt could stand up to rain, steaming and cleaning better.

Matt said that he had seen some samples of modern felt that was so loosely felted he could easily pull it apart by hand.

The MD1 has a bit thicker felt than compared to vintage but still a soft felt that one can shape easily.

mike

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
Yes and no, I got to see it briefly but when Matt was inspecting his shipment of hats when they came in, he had found a "problem" with my specific hat and sent it back to the maker to get it done right. So I should see mine sometime after the holidays. (Just my luck!:eusa_doh: Life is full of surprises.)

Matt has the measured eye as they say, as such he wants it to be to his specifications and standards or it doesn't go out.

If things go right, we may video playing with the open crown & getting the bash right,

Sounds promising. I'm looking forward to the video! Considering we're well into the new century, it's not surprising that moving images replace a lot of the need for still photos. I thought those videos of Matt displaying the movement of his action-back were really a nice touch and a tool virtually never utilized here.

marvelgoose said:
I own both. The MD-1 has a better sweat, an excellent binding (doesn't curl like after-market applied bindings), and the ribbon is a much better color than the flat black/navy. Plus the Nostalgia is raw edge and you get all that powder in the felt.

I did a custom job on my Nostalgia and the hatter ruined it by putting a taper into a clean and block that he insisted on doing. Waiting to find a hatter who has a straight block to send it back out.

I was talking about the block and crown as compared to the modern Whippet. I know the Nostalgia doesn't have binding. By the way my MD-1 has powder in the felt. The felt appears similar to my Nostalgia although a different color. If I had to guess I would say that Hatco is the MD-1 maker.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Over a year ago Matt showed a bunch of us in Pasadena an 8 piece cap that he had made. I think he said something about having more made, but that was a while ago.

Feraud

Bartender
Hey Deckard, what's the deal on the 8 piece cap? Was it a custom piece intended for a possible future production? Got pics, details, etc.? Inquiring minds want to know!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Making you wait?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gq_5QZDpY1Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gq_5QZDpY1Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy