Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin ties...any thoughts?

Widebrim said:
Bump^^. Okay, here's a late-'50s thin tie that I found today at a thrift store in Hollywood ($2). It has a nifty finned-automobile and (what I think is) steering wheel design. From Kory Ties of (where else?) California; feels like silk blend.

CCF04302010_00001.jpg
CCF04302010_00001-1.jpg

Looks like a 57 Chevy to me. I'll have to see it in person. ;) :D

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't actually own a skinny tie, so excuse me, I'm sorry if I don't have anything worthwhile to offer in this thread.

However, the funny thing is, a few months back, I almost bought a skinny tie (black, with a squared, flat bottom too), but then decided against it. I'm not sure if I could quite pull it off, unless I owned a late 1950s, 1960s suit (something very Mad Men-esque, in layman's terms) to go along with it, and maybe a more period accurate fedora, to boot, as I own a very Golden Era, 1930s type for that matter. I think they can look very good, you just have to dress a certain way to make it work, if you don't want to come across as being a trendy hipster, which is an association I'd personally want to avoid.

Just my two cents. If you want to know what I was actually going to get that one day, it's this:

http://www.amazon.com/SKINNY-BLACK-...1_14?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1272948731&sr=8-14

Personally, I'm glad I saved my money. If I'm going to purchase a skinny tie, I'll try to go for an actual vintage from the 50s or 60s (for some reason, I want to avoid the 80s stuff, even though they were a fad then).

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
J B said:
ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1272948731&sr=8-14[/url]

Personally, I'm glad I saved my money. If I'm going to purchase a skinny tie, I'll try to go for an actual vintage from the 50s or 60s (for some reason, I want to avoid the 80s stuff, even though they were a fad then).

JB, if you want a couple of skinny ties, several of us, I'm sure, would send you some vintage ones for free...Anything to help a fellow FL tie enthusiast. Right, James Powers?;)

Chainsaw

Suspended
It's kinda cool. But ewww. What's with all the stooged up ties?

What can I say though, my favorite tie fors years was my Bugs bunny sitting in the director seat tie. Go figure, GQ regreats.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
You want a "thin" Hollyvogue?

jamespowers said:
That's because it was thin. ;) :p
Hollyvogue made skinny ties?! I thought they had better sense than that. :p :D

Just scored this today at a thrift store. Okay, at 3" it's not exactly "thin," but neither is it the wide type that we're used to seeing from Hollyvogue.

CCF05132010_00000.jpg

The rich-looking lining has "Chereau Paris" embossed all over it, and the tie looks like it wasn't ever worn. It feels like silk, but could be rayon and/or acetate. Judging from the width and price tag, I'd say mid-'50s.

CCF05132010_00001.jpg

Widebrim said:
Just scored this today at a thrift store. Okay, at 3" it's not exactly "thin," but neither is it the wide type that we're used to seeing from Hollyvogue.

CCF05132010_00000.jpg

The rich-looking lining has "Chereau Paris" embossed all over it, and the tie looks like it wasn't ever worn. It feels like silk, but could be rayon and/or acetate. Judging from the width and price tag, I'd say mid-'50s.

CCF05132010_00001.jpg

It might well be but it is early fifties--before 1955. They were still producing the white patterned ties then. It is plainer than the 40s examples though. You could be right in the long run. $3.50 was fairly expensive for a tie then.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
It might well be but it is early fifties--before 1955. They were still producing the white patterned ties then. It is plainer than the 40s examples though. You could be right in the long run. $3.50 was fairly expensive for a tie then.

Yeah, the average price for a tie in the mid-'50s would have been about $2.50, but the width pretty much pegs it for that brief transitional period. But, hey, it's a Hollyvogue, and would have been well worth it!:D

ssfilez

New in Town
One way or another, yesterday's fashion will find its way and emerge in today's trend. I find skinny ties more attractive than the traditional ties worn by most men today. I tried searching through the web and I found printed neckties that would spice up one's simple attire. Pretty little things, really.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
One way or another, yesterday's fashion will find its way and emerge in today's trend. I find skinny ties more attractive than the traditional ties worn by most men today. I tried searching through the web and I found printed neckties that would spice up one's simple attire. Pretty little things, really.

Very true, all the way around. I would agree that thinner ties from the mid-'50s are often more attractive than most of the neckties from today (although I did recently see some rather decent 3" examples at Nordstrom's Rack). Now if we're talking early-'60s, then we've regressed to mostly plain and minimalist...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy