Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Old Thing? It's New!

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
Did women not eat back in the 1940s and 50s? The article led me to look at vintage dresses and patterns on Etsy and the sizes are so small! As in the equivalent of today's sizes 2's and 4's. If I stopped eating for the next 10 years I still couldn't get my big butt into any of these dresses. :(

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Did women not eat back in the 1940s and 50s? The article led me to look at vintage dresses and patterns on Etsy and the sizes are so small! As in the equivalent of today's sizes 2's and 4's. If I stopped eating for the next 10 years I still couldn't get my big butt into any of these dresses. :(

Aww, don't feel bad! This is very likely a case of unequal supply and demand. There are a lot less girls who are 2s and 4s, so these are the dresses most often left behind. Popular sizes are always the first to go. I bet anything that vigilance will yield great rewards :)

zombi

A-List Customer

In addition to what Penny Dreadful already noted -- supply, demand, etc -- there have been changes over time in humankind in general, and in our technology (vaccinations, availability of food, hormones in food, etc) that have changed the way humans look. Check this article to see what I mean: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/health/30age.html

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

What Zombi indicated in that article is very true. My grandmother (born in 1924) was almost 5'1" and never weighed more than 90 pounds. (She was tiny, tiny). My bone measurements for my hips (not including the fleshy stuff on top- haha) wouldn't fit within her measurements- I'm nearly 5'8. Women back then also wore shapewear (which changed their measurements somewhat), smoked (which tends to decrease your fleshy body weight), and had poorer nutrition as children.

If you look at most generations of families, most women children are taller than their mothers (unless their mother is oddly tall). If you are taller than your mother, it is likely your bone structure is bigger too. Many of us are two or three generations away from people who wore this clothing. (Some say that we're ending the dramatic changes in height between generations, because advances in nutrition are stablizing).

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I think the same things that have lead to the popularity of reproduction dresses have led to the popularity of home sewing. I like repros but get even a better fit and range os styles, colors etc... with home sewing. Also it doesn't matter if the pattern is musty and falling apart since I make copies anyway.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I love me my real vintage, and if I can't get what I want or need of that to complete an outfit, I'd rather sew my own, since I can have whatever fabric and colour I choose, use vintage fabric and trims, etc.

I don't think I would ever buy a 'ready to wear' repro item, unless it is something I couldn't make myself. I guess they're just not individual enough for me. [huh]

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I've never paid much attention to repro, as actual vintage is way cheaper and more abundant in my area, but I have to admit I loved this analogy:

Madeline Meyerowitz, owner of the vintage clothing Web site enokiworld.com, which sells labels like Courrèges and Claire McCardell, likened designers of reproduction clothing to singers at a karaoke bar. “I don’t want to hear you sing it, I want to hear the original artist sing it,” she said.

littledarling

New in Town
Hello,
Im new here, but I've been lurking around for awhile and wanted to chime in :).
I had a chance to stop by in Hollywood and visit the bettie page store. I was actually kinda disappointed with the quality. I think it was those zippers that put me off, but I love those designs though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay