Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

Tea.

Webster's Third provoked a gigantic controversy when it was published in 1961 -- it was far less encyclopedic than Webster's Second, and it was edited on the basis of documenting the language as it was actually used in practice, not how "rules" maintained it was supposed to be used. Both versions have their champions -- I like the Second for the encyclopedic features that it offered, as well as the larger type, but I like the Third for its acknowledgement that language is an ever-evolving thing.

The debate mirrors the debate between the King James Only crowd and the supporters of the Revised Standard Version, with the Second as the KJV of American English. There's a Nero Wolfe novel that came out around the time of the Third's release that has Wolfe fiercely tearing pages out of his copy of the Third and throwing them into the fire.

Tea with junk in it -- milk, sugar, lemon, other filthy habits -- or Tea as God and Thomas J. Lipton intended?

I did know about 10% of what you posted because, as you said, it was a big controversy - and reflects one of the philosophical core controversies of dictionaries / languages - that I remember teachers talking about even in the '70s, but I had to have a little fun at your expense because it is a bit of an esoteric "This or That."

And sorry, I need some sugar and lemon in my tea or I can't drink it, with all respects to God and Mr. Lipton.

Last edited:
Not to tilt the scales or anything, just to inform: A Hot Toddy has whiskey (a wonderfully aged, oaky-flavored spirit), honey (think how hard all those bees work to give us this lovely sweet liquid) and lemon (a fruit in the citrus family that brings a tart, but sweet, piquant background taste) in it; Mr. Lipton's tea has, uh, tea leaves.

Again, for informational purposes only. (And then we must address the Catwoman T or T or T)

Will somebody please tilt the scales & proceed to the next !

Somehow I have a yearning to go to Starbucks !

Never been there before, anyone know if it’s good ?

See ya all Later !

While Hudson Hawk will tear me a new one, if you go to Starbucks, first study up on on-line their menu and how to order as, if you go to a busy one, not only will you have to deal with the condescending look from the barista if you don't know how to order, but you'll also have seven in-line-behind-you, ear-bud-wearing, eyes-burried-in-a-tiny-screen millennials disgusted with you as well.

Kidding aside, if you haven't tried it, you should go to see what you think. I think the coffee tastes a bit burnt (but I kinda like it that way) and the basic coffee is not aggressively overpriced as, IMHO, many things in Starbucks are.

At meals (or maybe a cup here or there, but not all day as described)

Now, let's not skip over the cat-woman triple "this or that?" It's not often that three actors get to play the same role, in the same show, opposite the same leads - a neat reveal of how an actor's individual skills and personality can shape a character and make it sing or not.

Tapioca, not even close. Jelly isn't food, tapioca is one of those unique foods that truly tastes like nothing else and tastes wonderful.

Rice pudding or creme brûlée? (For this exercise, the rice pudding has cinnamon sprinkled on it and creme brûlée has caramelized sugar on top.)

Can't I have both?

Okay, rice pudding.

And Elizabeth, have you made any allowances for the absence of lead in modern motor fuels? Hardened valves and valve seats, maybe?

Two doors or four? (That one hasn't been used yet, has it?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And Elizabeth, have you made any allowances for the absence of lead in modern motor fuels? Hardened valves and valve seats, maybe?

Four doors for me. I like carry space, and I like people to be able to get in and out of the back seat easily.

As for lead, it's only the high-compression engines of the fifties and sixties that need it. A thirties-technology engine like in my Plodge was made when most fuel didn't have lead, and as it happens, the valve seats came hardened from the factory.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
HT.... The Dodgers should never have been allowed by the Lords of Baseball to leave Brooklyn. :(

Ginger or Mary Ann? ;)

Mary Ann was the one all us boys dreamed about! -----------------------------------------------------------260/289 Cobra or 427 Cobra?

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Roller, but they have to be the old fashion type with a wheel in each corner. Can't stand (literally) those roller blades.

Walter or Achmed

Walter- although Dunham hasn't written/performed an original funny gag in five years.

Dietrich or Piaf.jpg

Marlene Dietrich or Edith Piaf?

Last edited:
Piaf (and that was a good this or that, Piaf got my vote for talent amidst tragedy / Dietrich talented but in a narrow scope)

Norma Shearer or Kay Francis (while they acted after the code was enforced, these actress found their biggest success pre-code with very different styles)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic