Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thumbnail pictures in posts

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Here's why I do it:
- The small thumbnails don't fill up the whole page and create a ton of scrolling.
- By looking at the thumbnail you can decide yourself if you want to inspect the photo more closely.
- Saves page loading time because by default your browser only needs to load the thumbnail. Only when you click on the photo the full large thing gets downloaded to your local machine and loaded.

Personally I prefer the downsized photos or thumbnails in the posts over posts with 10 full sized photos that all need to be loaded upon opening the thread page.

But it's just subjective preference.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I prefer it when the image is already visible without having to click on the stamp first.

Mandarin

Practically Family
I got used to having to click on thumbnails, but I really prefer full size pictures.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
I always insert the pic by URL on the post. I make sure the image isn't too big, although it automatically adjusts to the width if I'm not wrong.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
I never use the thumbnails, but tend to always adjust the size of the full picture using the mouse once ive inserted in.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Some folks may not have dependable high-speed internet (DSL, cable, satellite, FTTH) and there could be data caps that have to be monitored. Thumbnails allow those individuals to selectively open images of their choice. The TB thread is a good example - Carrie posts many magnificent images of spectacular jackets but scrolling through them can be a chore regardless of connection. I post thumbnails so the viewer can decide to open the image(s) or not. I am very fortunate to have FTTH so down/upload speeds and data caps don't apply to me but I still prefer thumbnails although some who post 1-4 full images is just fine too.

Regardless of the method used to post images, I always look forward to viewing all that the fine folks on this site choose to share. As the old saying goes - 'a picture is worth a thousand words' - hence the feedback which is so valuable on this site.

Thanks for posting your images/pictures!

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
When you upload a picture to a post, it always uploads as kind of a thumbnail. There is a drop-down menu in the upper left hand corner of the picture, where you can choose a thumbnail or full size when you hit the post button. Kind of a PITA, I think that is the main reason why most people upload thumbnails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran