Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time's Top 10 Things We Miss About the Mad Men Era

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I thought the section regarding women was interesting because during the 1920's there was a 'boyish' look. Some women wanted to be thin, and the dresses were 'straight cut' - curves weren't the 'in thing' during the 1920s.

So I was kind of amazed that the androgynous look of the 1920's wasn't mentioned...certainly way before the 'Twiggy' look that the article brought up.

In addition to their irreverent behavior flappers were known for their style, which largely emerged as a result of French fashions, especially those pioneered by Coco Chanel; and by the effect on dress of the rapid spread of American jazz and the popularization of dancing that accompanied it[17]. Called garçonne in French ("boy" with a feminine suffix), flapper style made them look young and boyish: short hair, flattened breasts, and straight waists accentuated it. By at least 1913 the association between slim adolescence and a certain characteristic look had already been made.
From Wiki: Flapper

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
It is rather unfortunate how society has steadily declined in terms of style. I would say that the major difference between now and then is a sense of class in all things. Good fitting clothes, artist designed cars, slick hair, music which not only took talent but also creativity. These are things which grow more nonexistent each day. Once the norm, now the exception. Truly a loss for my generation.

phinz

New in Town
dhermann1 said:
Nah. Men drank plain old lager beer. First glass of beer I ever drank (legally) cost me 15 cents. 8 ounce glass of lager beer.
But ale was more popular in general, and there were more brands.

My point, though I didn't elucidate it quite well enough, is that "light ale" is kind of a misnomer. Ales, as a rule, are more flavorful than lagers and therefore aren't exactly considered "light."

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Prien said:
I thought the section regarding women was interesting because during the 1920's there was a 'boyish' look. Some women wanted to be thin, and the dresses were 'straight cut' - curves weren't the 'in thing' during the 1920s.

So I was kind of amazed that the androgynous look of the 1920's wasn't mentioned...certainly way before the 'Twiggy' look that the article brought up.

Yes, this was one style in the 20s. The Flapper was a fad and in no way makes up all the varied and still traditional fashions in the 20s. You just dont see them now, but you did then.

Women wanted to be equal to men, and often that meant a female 'version' of a man as described in the quote. American women also got the right to vote in the 20s, which leveled the playing field. Prohibition helped too.

But the flapper look went out pretty quickly in the 30s, when a womanly figure came back to prominence. Mainly for modesty reasons as those flapper dresses were getting shorter and shorter....

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran