Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
F. Jean Fcant du Chapeaux
38 Rue Temple, Paris

18471376479_43b27c0a81.jpg

18631229976_fedb3af2b2.jpg

18469805848_18c9f5e69b.jpg

18657577605_5afc6ac0c4.jpg

Dont know too much about the company, it's french made. I did find reference to the company in the trade exposition listing dating to 1867. Amazing condition for the age, the sweatband could even be easily re-attached its still very pliable. No tears or any significant dents in the crown. And the color is an fantastic in person, looked more rust in color in the sellers pictures but its a much more pronounced golden brown.

https://books.google.com/books?id=e...QBm#v=onepage&q=f jean chapeaux paris&f=false

Last edited:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Thank you very kindly gents, this one really was a holy grail hat for me.

Scott, it measured at just about 7 3/8 inches tall. Definitely the tallest crown in my collection.

navarre

Vendor
Last night I went to a birthday party and was gifted this hat, It wasn't even my birthday! And even more amazing, it fits! That makes it a 7 3/8.
Top is 6", brim is 2". Obviouslly the box is not the original, but cool non the less. There is a news paper in the box used as packing that is dated Dec. 30th 1930.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1890's Miller (Stetson) Felt Topper Gray (Part 1)

Here is a new acquisition. Late 1890's or VERY early 1900's Miller topper. I did quite a bit of research on Miller, Eichhold & Miller, and Miller-Allaire and will be creating a new thread soon to list the differences of all 3 companies, their origins and some of their original ads. The old American Hatter and Clothier & Furnisher publications are an extrmemely wonderful wealth of knowledge for early American hat companies. The common factor in all 3 of these separate hat companies was EDWARD MILLER.

Starting in 1894, the Miller Hat Company hats were NOT made by Miller. He contracted good ole' John B. Stetson to produce his hats. This partnership went on until 1908. In 1908, the partnership between Miller and Stetson dissolved and Schoble then received the contract to make Miller Hats. The Miller Trademark that is seen in my top hat was only used during the Stetson era and changed slightly when Schoble took over the contract.

Based on the very small and tight sweatband stitching which forms a stitch over the natural cane reed and short brim paired with strait tall crown (very popular American style for top hats in the 1890's), this hat shares very similar characteristics to other 1890's hats that I own. Though this hat could date as late as 1908, I firmly believe based on the trimmings, that it is an 1890's Stetson-made Miller. Besides the crown insert, there are NO other labels or tags under the sweatband. The sweatband is by far one of the driest I have ever encountered. Its cracks and tears just by looking at it. LOL.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1890's Miller (Stetson) Felt Topper Gray (Part 3)

1908 American Hatter (Stetson Discontinues Production of Miller Hats)

1908 American Hatter (Schoble Takes over prodcution of Miller Hats)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo