Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toppers Unite

Repairing wear on top hats is very difficult... removing dents, replacing brim binding, restoring bare spots in the silk plush... if the hat is in very good condition and the hat fits your son, I think the price is very reasonable. Top hats in excellent condition usually command a good price at eBay auction. I have a good number in size 7 and all cost me more than $125.

EstherWeis

Vendor
This is from my birthday party a couple years back.
It was a theme-party
I loved that hat so very much.

6a1a7fbc71f38965e57959be346eb2b0.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Raider

One of the Regulars
That seems like a lot of $$. What size is he? As I'm sure you know, the smaller sizes are much easier to find, and should be less money. Good for you (both) though, you lucky man!

The hat is a 7 1/8. A little large for him now, but he'll have something to look forward to.

Raider

One of the Regulars
False alarm. On closer inspection yesterday, the hat turned out to be a DP Mad Hatter with a liner from said hat shop. I'd pay more for the liner than the hat, it's beautiful.

P. & C. Habig Wien "Extra Qualität", 1980. This Silk Top Hat belongs to the grandson (Jonathan) of Victor Böhm owner of Brüder Böhm.

22576141949_cb7a25bbe7_b.jpg

22550084068_a2c0863f53_b.jpg

22345672774_bd013d19a2_b.jpg

In 1974 P. & C. Habig Wien purchased all the equipment and silk plush stock from the last manufacturer of Silk Top Hats Spoorenberg of Holland. It would be interesting to know what happened to this equipment and silk plush stock (assuming there was any left) when P. & C. Habig went out of business in the late 1980s.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/5-p-c-habig-hutfabrik/page-4#entry700

It's made of Silk Plush. My guess would be 1930s maybe a bit later. The mark is generic so similar to the A. Tsoard Marseille "Premiere Marque Paris" I posted above. You may want to check for a paper label behind the sweatband that might have a company mark. By the way it looks fantastic!

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
I've been a bit busy with work lately so I have quite a many pages to catch up on, in the meantime here's my newest contribution to this thread, a trio of unique toppers made for the costume department of a french film company. Heavy and very sturdily made. The two olive green ones are particularly striking being made out of velvet rather than the typical silk or fur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR