Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

filfoster

One Too Many
RE-TRENCH

Arrived today. Very nice condition with just slightest fray at cuff ends, correctable by 1/8" shortening, and the usual tears to the hip pocket lining at the top but very nice and complete. Hardly any wear to the leather buckles. It has the useless strap under the collar and some kind of buttoned, small triangular flap there as well. "D" rings on the belt. Now to the cleaners and the tailor for the sleeve shortening. eBay triumphs again.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Spy Kids Trenchcoat

Ok, so while I was killing time waiting for the world series the other night, Spy Kids 3 was on TV... I noticed in the beginning of the movie Juni is wearing a pretty slick looking trenchcoat. Just wondering if anyone knows what this is, or if it is commercially available (in adult size). Here's a couple pictures, and a you tube starting at 53 seconds

165918.jpg

spy-kids-3-d.jpg

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ldJ2bpJPg1I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ldJ2bpJPg1I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Maguire

Practically Family
Bargain trenchcoat i just won on ebay-

I just got this khaki trenchcoat on ebay. Before this i had 2 trenchcoats, olive green and black but i figured for the price it would not hurt to have a khaki as well, as its one of the most commonly seen colors. I paid a whopping 17 dollars plus about 10 shipping on this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200399003143&ssPageName=ADME:L:COSI:US:1123 trenchcoat.

The material is heavy and feels fine although its probably cheap. The only issue is a broken belt buckle which can easily be replaced and the actual belt itself feels far too short. I take a 42 and this coat is a 42, so I am only wondering if it just looks like a shorter variety trenchcoat or "too small". It doesn't feel too small at all but the length may project that. However i've seen plenty of trenchcoats (watchmen comes to mind) that don't go down far below the knee or even end high above it. Any thoughts? Is this trenchcoat fine or would you throw a tomato at me weairng this? thanks for any input.
DSCF2049.jpg

DSCF2050.jpg

DSCF2051.jpg
DSCF2052.jpg

sproily

Practically Family
Looks good for the price, but to my eye it does fall a bit short.. I'm not sure if it looks bad or anything though..

You might want to try high rise boots with that one ;) Would make it look longer.

Edward

Bartender
The lining looks nice. Nothing wrong with the length to my eye. Actually, at that just above/on the knee length, it's very much got the Bogie look.... Bogart's Casablanca trenchcoat was taken up to that height to project the illusion of him being taller than he actually was. That Rorschach's coat was of a similar length (something carried over from the original book into the film) is most likely a nod to Bogart.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Looks great to me. Actually, spot on with how I expect a trenchcoat to look lengthwise. I tend to think the longer ones look much more awkward then the shorter ones. Blame Casablanca for that if you want.

Edward

Bartender
deanglen said:
The length appears similar to the military trench in the fourth trench coat post down the list of "sticky" posts by Paddy.

If memory serves, one of the deiberate design features of the original trench coat when Burberry first came up with it was that they were just a touch shorter than the heavy wool greatcoat of the time, thus being less prone to the bottom end getting covered in mud, caught on anything sticking out of the trench, and whatever.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
norton said:
Nice, but the storm flap seems vestigal rather than functional and I don't think that trench coats look right without raglan sleeves. They just don't drape right.

Just an update, now that its fall I've been wearing my new trench from http://www.raincoatsdirect.co.uk/we...051&top_category=10401&top=Y&categoryId=10401

There were some posts in this thread where DragonJade and I critiqued our coats, he had tried to have his customized at the factory and wasn't happy with the results. I was satisfied. The more I wear this coat the more I like it. I can't find those posts anymore.

Hi norton,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been away on holiday. Here's the thread you were talking about:
Raincoats Direct Trench Coat - Review

As a quick update, they finally sent me a replacement where the inside stitching has no problems and the pockets are as they should be. I've worn it a few times in wet weather and love it. The only problem I have with it is the stitching for the belt loops on the cuffs. They're angled all over the place, not of the same lengths and at different distances from the end of the cuffs. Oh well, you can't have everything. Still, a great coat otherwise. Would I recommend them to anyone else? Yes. But if you're outside the UK, push them so you don't have to pay VAT, and be aware that the stitching isn't always that great when it comes to belt loops.

Now, the only thing we haven't sorted out is what to do with the first damaged coat they sent.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
griffer said:
Eeep! 275 POUNDS?

£275, but they always have a 10% sale on, making it £247.50. And if you live abroad you can ask for VAT to be taken off, making it £210.34. Add in the fact that postage is £5 to anywhere in the world, and you've got yourself a pretty good deal.

norton

One of the Regulars
DragonJade said:
Hi norton,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been away on holiday. Here's the thread you were talking about:
Raincoats Direct Trench Coat - Review

As a quick update, they finally sent me a replacement where the inside stitching has no problems and the pockets are as they should be. I've worn it a few times in wet weather and love it. The only problem I have with it is the stitching for the belt loops on the cuffs. They're angled all over the place, not of the same lengths and at different distances from the end of the cuffs. Oh well, you can't have everything. Still, a great coat otherwise. Would I recommend them to anyone else? Yes. But if you're outside the UK, push them so you don't have to pay VAT, and be aware that the stitching isn't always that great when it comes to belt loops.

Now, the only thing we haven't sorted out is what to do with the first damaged coat they sent.

Welcome back. I'm glad they took care of you. Like I said earlier, I really like this coat. I've never had a burberry so I can't compare it directly, but I don't see how I would like a burberry better at several times the price.

remicanard

New in Town
Hi all,

I ordered a coat from them at the end of october, and haven't had any news since then (not even a order confirmation). They told me that the turnover is usually between 7 and 10 working days. I'm trying to contact them but their website is broken (or doesn't exist anymore), so is their mail adress.

I'd be very grateful if anyone had their phone number or an alternative email (I only know admin@raincoatsdirect.co.uk).

Remi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff