Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Trench coats are another in the long list of garments that, while attractive and appealing, are of little use here in SoCal. If I had more closet space I might invest in one but it is rarely so cool and/or wet that it makes no sense. However, I am another who concurs on the issue of wearing what you damned well please and let the pundits bedamned.

Maguire

Practically Family
I think the trenchcoat is one of the most versatile overcoats you can possibly get a hold of. It can be worn in rain, and isn't too heavy for mild weather, but can take cold weather too, and the lining helps. Plus it is far more durable than the dressy wool overcoats. I usually start wearing trenchcoats as soon as i start wearing felts and such. The only time i think it would be odd is a straw hat/summer suit and a trenchcoat. Even if its cool and rainy, i'd say it just doesn't look right. Only time i think i saw it was in Usual Suspects, the corrupt diamond dealer using the "new yorks finest taxi service" has this combo.

But i show a bias, i was wearing trenchcoats way before i was interested in suits and the like. I am surprised they aren't used more, or have any stigma attached to them, they are far nicer looking than any of the coats/jackets one sees, certainly windbreakers, northface jackets, all that sort of thing.

PhilD82

New in Town
I'm the proud owner of a black gaberdine trenchcoat, it's hanging up in the wardrobe now after a much needed dry clean. To be honest, I can't imagine an occasion when it would look, sartorially speaking, out of place. it's very versatile, and a damn sight more stylish than a leather trench (although you don't see many of those either these days, come to think of it) You'll look smart even if you're just wearing jeans and a shirt underneath. Function-wise it keeps the rain off far better than wool (an important consideration in the UK) and is reasonably warm, though the lining, and maybe extra layers underneath are must haves in winter. It's hands-down my favourite coat, and I look forward to it being cold/damp enough to wear again- I say get one!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I don't see why it should be limited to rainy weather. They're purpose in the trenches in WW1 was as much to keep the wearer warm as to keep them dry.

Like Maguire said, they are a very versatile overcoat. I've worn mine and been comfortable on quite mild summer days and walking around in an Austrian village whilst it was snowing.

Maguire said:
The only time i think it would be odd is a straw hat/summer suit and a trenchcoat. Even if its cool and rainy, i'd say it just doesn't look right.
I find there can be exceptions to this though, especially where there can be a significant variation between night time temperature and day time temperature I think it's acceptable to wear one over a summer suit. For example Bogart wears a trenchcoat over a summer suit in Casablanca and doesn't look out of place, though he does wear a felt hat rather than a panama.

Hal

Practically Family
I think the trenchcoat is one of the most versatile overcoats you can possibly get a hold of. It can be worn in rain, and isn't too heavy for mild weather, but can take cold weather too, and the lining helps...I usually start wearing trenchcoats as soon as I start wearing felts and such.
Very sensible points.
The only time I think it would be odd is a straw hat/summer suit and a trenchcoat. Even if its cool and rainy, I'd say it just doesn't look right.
As avedwards writes, the odd look is caused by the straw hat - summer suit plus trench-coat plus felt hat would be fine.
..trenchcoats...are far nicer looking than any of the coats/jackets one sees, certainly windbreakers, northface jackets, all that sort of thing.
Yes, indeed - and also better at keeping off the rain. The more efficient a short raincoat is, the wetter the trousers become from rain run-off.
PhilD82 said:
...I can't imagine an occasion when it would look, sartorially speaking, out of place.Function-wise it keeps the rain off far better than wool...
There are good proofed wool gaberdine fabrics - not all gaberdine is cotton-based. And I agree with you that I don't think such a coat is ever out of place - doesn't a full-length coat give a more impressive silhouette to a man that a suit alone doesn't? Some FL members live in climates where such a coat is hardly ever needed, but many of us like the arrival of the coat-wearing season on stylistic grounds.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
There are good proofed wool gaberdine fabrics - not all gaberdine is cotton-based. And I agree with you that I don't think such a coat is ever out of place - doesn't a full-length coat give a more impressive silhouette to a man that a suit alone doesn't? Some FL members live in climates where such a coat is hardly ever needed, but many of us like the arrival of the coat-wearing season on stylistic grounds.

I do enjoy coat wearing season, especially when it's cold enough for a heavy weight loden wool overcoat (which is also the most waterproof wool I've come across to date). However by February I quite look forward to being able to wear a suit without an overcoat, though I am usually of the opposite opinion by the end of April. I quite enjoyed the first day this year I was able to venture forth in just a suit in mid-March.

I wore a trench coat out today and a teenager called me "Rorschach." It left me smiling - I have been called much worse! Nothing else I have worn has got me as much attention as this trench coat. It's roughly equal amounts positive and negative.

Maguire

Practically Family
@ Hal: i always assumed its not proper to wear felt in the summer or straw in the winter. So wearing a felt hat in the summer.. well its somewhat confusing.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
@ Hal: i always assumed its not proper to wear felt in the summer or straw in the winter. So wearing a felt hat in the summer.. well its somewhat confusing.

Depends where you live, but I think felt in summer is acceptable. Lots of old films show people like Bogart wearing felt with linen/summer suits. Personally I do it all the time, though we probably have a lot milder summers here than you do. It makes sense to wear a trenchcoat over a linen suit to me as it still keeps you cool whilst also keeping you dry.

Maguire

Practically Family
Depends where you live, but I think felt in summer is acceptable. Lots of old films show people like Bogart wearing felt with linen/summer suits. Personally I do it all the time, though we probably have a lot milder summers here than you do. It makes sense to wear a trenchcoat over a linen suit to me as it still keeps you cool whilst also keeping you dry.
Well in the UK/Ireland etc, i'd agree. But then again, i can't even imagine a need for straw or linen over there, the weather is almost never warm enough to warrant it. I was there last year and even on the "hottest" days of the year in Ireland, i was wearing long sleeves, and some of the people working with me were still wearing sweaters. NYC on the other hand is more radical, the winters are absolutely freezing (which i enjoy) and the summers are humid and the temperature soars to unbearable levels.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
My trench-coat (courtesy of italian army) would have been absolutely perfect, if it wasn't for the liner, that is "sleeveless"; which prevents me from wearing it in the coolest day of winter
(unless I'm dressing properly, with a suit or at least a coat; the coat's sleeves give me the extra layer I just need).
Then again, I'm extremely sensitive to cold.

For the rest, it's absolutely fabulous for autumn, spring, winter, and without liner also for occasional summer downpours. :)

dustyjohnson10

New in Town
yes I also think that trench coats are mostly for rain and winter season. It only looks good when it's winters or at rainy seasons. else i would never wore it in summers.

BowlofRice

New in Town
1930s-40s trench coat styles?

Hi everyone (again), thanks for visiting my second thread! This time my questions are about trench coats. I've always loved that classic image of a private investigator with a fedora and beige trench coat, so when I started dressing in 30's style, a beige double-breasted trench coat became a must. I remember going from mall to mall here in Toronto and visiting almost every store and asking, "Do you have any double breasted trench coats here?" and the answer would always be no. My mom did buy me a double breasted trench coat for Christmas, but I only wear it when I'm trying to dress "modern" as this coat is very short and has modern styling to it. Well, after a while, I resorted to the thrift store. I found a black double breasted trench coat from Moore's at the thrift store one day, then a few weeks later at the same store I had found the coat I was longing for, the 1930's style beige, knee-length double breasted trench coat I had been dying to find. So I bought it. I also own a gray-green almost ankle length single breasted trench coat, which I bought recently only for its sheer length.

Ok, maybe some of you are getting annoyed at my constant story-telling, I'm sorry for any of you that are. So here are my trench coat questions:
-What colors were trench coats in the 1930's-40's OTHER than beige?
-Were single breasted trench coats in use during this time period? I only ever remember seeing Hitler wearing one in a video and no one else.

D

Deleted member 16736

Yeah, wouldn't want to copy his style. I have two trench coats from Burberry and love them both. Too bad I've never had occasion to wear either.

YETI

A-List Customer
When you say trench coat, do you mean the lighter weight gabardine ones worn for rainy weather or the heavy wool worumbo coats more commonly worn for the "freeze your butt off " weather?

I do believe the term "trench" referred to the heavy coats worn by soldiers in the trenches during WWI.

Hal

Practically Family
-What colors were trench coats in the 1930's-40's OTHER than beige?
-Were single breasted trench coats in use during this time period? I only ever remember seeing Hitler wearing one in a video and no one else.
With respect to the second question, a single-breasted coat is NOT a trench-coat - a trench-coat is, by definition, double-breasted and belted. All trench-coats are raincoats, but not all raincoats are trench-coats.
Both single-breasetd raincoats and true trenchcoats were, in this period, so far as I know, either beige or khaki.
The two true trench-coats you have recently acquired sound great, and I hope you enjoy wearing both of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo