Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

gqmagic

One of the Regulars
Yes, it is always a possibility and yes, it would be a sacrilege. You'd have holes from the stitching and probably a darker shade of fabric showing afterwards. Stitch lines never go away. Eventually someone will notice. Please, just jam the flaps inside the pockets like everyone else or go find another "bargain" that doesn't have them.

I agree with this.

one2rock

New in Town
:eusa_doh:Jeez......

Jeez, yourself!

Can't a man express a preference without being hassled? :p

I am a minimalist and I just happen to like vintage models apart from some minor details, and flaps look too "grandpa" for my taste.
Same goes for the Aquascutum "arches" on the back yoke on some models. It always makes me think of Batman's cape for some reason :D

By the way, I just bought a vintage Aquascutum Kingsgate in beige. Unfortunately, it is too small for my size. So, if anyone is interested, give me a PM.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
This trench coat should be from 50's. Made in Czechoslovakia. Material is wool. I would say it's very classy piece of clothing.
DSC_010454654.jpg

Last edited:

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
For what my opinion is worth, I like it, Giftmacher! :)
(but smile a little!!)
All in all, trenchcoat is probably my favourite garment... just thinking to buy one for my brother! he will surely appreciate :)

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
I have one (it's posted somewhere in this thread...) an ex Italian Army one :)
I enjoy it a lot...
one of my friends told me that according to her a trenchcoat is reassuring on a man, sexy on a woman, it makes old fellows look younger, and young guys looking more autoritative...
I add that it works in most seasons and has that "movie vibe" that we like :)

actually my brother has an ex Italian Airforce trenchcoat, perfectly identical to mine except in color, but he became slimmer and it doesn't fit anymore... so I was wondering to buy him something classier as a present for this winter... :)
ciao!!

davidraphael

Practically Family
Is anyone familiar with the name "Lord - Finest Menswear Fashion"
This is their logo which I found online:
080912_mantel1_04.jpg

I just picked up one of their trench coats in a 2nd hand store. Perfect condition - looks like it was never worn - and incredibly well made with a double lining, one of which is removable.
It was sold by Fink in Strasbourg, France.

I'm guessing that it's 20 - 30 years old.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
Yes, it is always a possibility and yes, it would be a sacrilege. You'd have holes from the stitching and probably a darker shade of fabric showing afterwards. Stitch lines never go away. Eventually someone will notice. Please, just jam the flaps inside the pockets like everyone else or go find another "bargain" that doesn't have them.
Another problem with removing flaps is that underneath there is only a narrow edging to the pocket, whereas coats which never had flaps to begin with have a much larger rectangular piece, which this sort of coats needs for balance, etc.

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
I have never seen this ad before, thanks for sharing. Both, Aquascutum and Burberry must have had numerous different versions and models, but at then end of the day the features were all really similar.
I personally prefer the double breasted 5x2 over the 4x2, and according to my research, this was also the first model.

You may be onto something; coats have certainly changed a lot from the WW1 period when they were introduced and become much more "civilian-ized". Belts, for example, are now much longer, which I suspect is so they can be tied if one chooses rather than buckled; rain flaps are also much longer - they still do the job, but change overall proportions.

The Burberry thing I posted above mentions the Air Warm coat and here it is (also from 1950):

Last edited:

musicmax

New in Town
I just got a cheap and clean Christian Dior off eBay. Definitely the easiest way to get close to the grail Casablanca coat for those like me seeking cheap instant gratification!

ADVANTAGES OVER MOST ON THE MARKET TODAY:
- Two gun flaps not one
- Working trapezoid not rectangular epaulets
- Set sleeves not raglan
- 6 x 3-roll-2 buttoning not 8 x 4
- Zip lining (much easier to deal with than buttoned)
- $550 cheaper than Magnoli

DIFFERENCES FROM GRAIL BOGIE
- 80/20 Poly/Cotton fabric
- Unknown country of origin (Says Christian Dior Monsieur Paris New York but I cannot find a country of manufacture, tho it did have a COAT INSPECTED BY #7 tag in the pocket)
- Faux storm pockets (buttoned flap is decorative not functional, and they are not through-pockets)
- Collar points are different... love the way Magnoli nails the point collar
- Two scallops on back vs. one on Bogie's
- Buttons on gun flaps vs. no buttons
- No throat strap or hook & eye (not sure if Bogie has either)
- No D-Rings
- Plastic buckles on belt and sleeve straps
- Plastic buttons that I wish were also just a touch larger

But like the song says, it will have to do until the real thing comes along.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
It pays to wait for the right one. I recently found this trench for $22 at an op shop in my local area.

The union label (My first garment with an American union label - this is a big deal as I am in Australia) is black with a circle around the 'R' making it late 60's early 70's I believe. Given the age it looks brand new and never rained on as far as I can tell. Pics below show it fits perfectly over a jacket and there are D-rings on the back as well as front.

I only just noticed a further label stating "Made expressly for wallachs New York" a now closed mens wear store

100_2443_zps2ec9d0aa.jpg

100_2440_zpsc4913241.jpg

100_2435_zps39a26eab.jpg

I freakin' love, probably one of my best finds ever

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
Here is my 1990-made Soviet Army "Summer" Overcoat. It is very light-weight, but very nice, and I got it for only 10$! Soviet military clothing has a really nice lining, in my opinion.

1001097q.jpg

1001098i.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran