Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Don't believe it's a U.S. military issue trench of any sort, those buttons aren't the style for it. Could be a private purchase or foreign. Strikes me as French, for some reason.

It seems rather short. Possibly for cavalry/dispatch riders? Or just a short guy?

Feraud

Bartender
Charlie Noodles said:
Curses to Peterman and their illustrations!
When is this company going to get with the times and use photographs? I have avoided buying from them due to the use of illustrations.
4024.jpg

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Fancy A Bargain Trenchcoat ?

I don't know whether this suggestion has been posted before but if you're looking for a khaki belted trenchcoat a la Burbery or Acquascutum at a mere fraction of the cost, try a Netherlands Army M90 raincoat.
It's light khaki with leather buttons, a zip in winter lining and has a real "Casablanca" look.
Get one from -
www.aprilorange.nl
The price for a brand new one is 20 Euros (about $15).
Aprilorange speak English and are very helpful. If you email your height, chest and waist in centimetres, they'll sort out a coat that fits just right.
The added bonus is that they mail the coat in a box that's just the right size to make into a fedora storage box !
Check out their Netherlands Army brown leather gloves too, they're really nice.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Admin Tidy Up.

Just merged a few more Trench Coat threads into this mother thread (redirects from the originals have been left too for ease).;)

PADDY M.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Old Fogey UK said:
Check out their Netherlands Army brown leather gloves too, they're really nice.

And the brown boots - killer! I have a pair of the previous issue, with toecaps. Used to be the cheap option for US Airborne re-enactment.

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
From 1963 until very recently the Dutch army wore a type of "Pinks & Greens" which is very helpful to impoverished cheapskates like me trying to put together a passable lookalike USAAF officer's uniform.
The boots that Aprilorange have look a bit different from the Dutch ones I had in the late 1970's; they looked just like Corcorans.
The French Army used to wear brown buckle-top boots that looked very WW2US, but I think they've gone over to black now.

Trench

Hello Folks: Need some help never owned one in all my years,looking for a good trench coat I don`t really want too nit pick ,but I looked at the Aquascutum trench pricey about 1400.00 US.Any in put on anything close to a WW1 style??? BB

Feraud

Bartender
bburtner@moran said:
Hello Folks: Need some help never owned one in all my years,looking for a good trench coat I don`t really want too nit pick ,but I looked at the Aquascutum trench pricey about 1400.00 US.Any in put on anything close to a WW1 style??? BB

I've merged your post into the larger trenchcoat thread.

There is a lot of info and pics to be found here.

SteveS

New in Town
Question,

Outside of trying on a trench coat to see how it fits, say if you were getting one from Ebay or the like, is there any rule of thumb about what size to get? For instance do you get a trench coat that is 2 sizes bigger then your sports coat or suit so that it's not tight?

Thanks,
Steve

celtic

A-List Customer
SteveS said:
Question,

Outside of trying on a trench coat to see how it fits, say if you were getting one from Ebay or the like, is there any rule of thumb about what size to get? For instance do you get a trench coat that is 2 sizes bigger then your sports coat or suit so that it's not tight?

Thanks,
Steve

I would say that most are already sized to fit over a suit. At least that's the way trenchcoats, overcoats and topcoats USED to be sized.

I can't say for sure as to the "true" military versions, but usually with the civillian coats you would just choose your regular suit size...of course as we know, vintage might be smaller than modern, so I'd go with chest measurements.

norton

One of the Regulars
O.K., This thread is five years old and 28 pages long. That would indicate that there is some interest in a quality vintage style trench coat. Yet no consensus has been reached on any product that meets the requirements.

There are how many companies selling repro leather jackets.? Can't someone come up with a decent gabardine trenchcoat?

I don't know what their current quality is like but the Stafford name goes way back for J.C.Penny's and was a quality name in the past.

Penny's is one of the department stores that tends to stand behind their products so if you do buy it, hang onto that receipt and take it back for any reason (within limits) if you don't like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy