Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat - the 'Ultimate' Thread!

Feraud

Bartender
Chasseur said:
This might have been discussed before, but I did some searches and didn't find anything, so here goes:

Does anyone make something like that trench coat Joel McCrea had in "The Foreign Correspondent"? Seems to have very large lapels...

Foreign_Correspondent_trailer_16_McCrea_crop.jpg

ww2_foreign.jpg

Finding large lapels on trenchcoats and suits are near impossible.
The current fashions all run to the narrow.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I have a Burberry trench (100% cotton) and it was certainly not inexpensive. I don't really care how it compares to those worn Bogart but I feel like I can walk through walls when wearing that coat and the wetter it gets the better it looks. And when I take it off the tartan lineing says it all.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I find I like it when it rains while I'm wearing my trench coat as it gets fewer "Inspector Gadget" comments. In the rain a trench coat is viewed as sensible by more people, so it becomes more acceptable I find.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Trench Coat in Spring

As silly as this sounds, is it appropriate to wear one in the spring? I have an event Saturday and it will be raining and I don't relish the thought of getting my suit wet.

Corky

Practically Family
Trench coat wearers across the nation agree...

Trench coat wearers across the nation agree on this point: it is acceptable to wear a trench coat in inclement weather, whatever the season.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
cufflinkmaniac said:
As silly as this sounds, is it appropriate to wear one in the spring? I have an event Saturday and it will be raining and I don't relish the thought of getting my suit wet.
The idea of the trench coat is that it's a relatively thin overcoat when the lining is removed. Therefore I think it is appropriate at any time of year as long as you feel comfortable (temperature wise) in it. I wore mine the last two days and probably will today and the rest of the week, as it's raining and only just over 10C. That's English weather for you. Just my opinion, so keep in mind that I am someone who never wears shorts, rarely wears short sleeved shirts, and wears a felt hat all year round.

Feraud

Bartender
cufflinkmaniac said:
If there were ever a time to wear one, in the rain would be it.
;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Trench is out in full use today (pic)

This is an original 40's trenchcoat (so 'very' heavy) with original belt and still some of the leather remaining on the buckle. Nice 'wide' lapels too, which the modern versions seem to miss.

This baby is toasty (even with a skeleton lining to it) and stands up well to the elements - as it's having to today with the constant rain.

There should be other pictures of it earlier on in the thread for those interested in labels and close-ups.

TRENCH014.jpg

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
I've been wearing my J. Peterman English Trench' quite a bit as of late. I've lost two buttons in two weeks. An epaullete button came off when I wasn't careful enough with a backpack filled with books. I think one of the front buttons came off at a party, I have no idea when.

fardin

New in Town
i didnt get to read the hole thread yet, but i still wanted to know if burberrys or any other company made threch or single breated trench coats without lining in a lighter gabardine. i think i read somewhere that burberrys made their coats also in different weights?
i have a burberrys single brest trench taht i bought in 1990 and i love it, but it is to warm in the summer or late spring. i do hope you can help me .
kind regards.

cufflinkmaniac said:

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
fedoralover said:
Is everyone wanting to be as precise on getting an exact duplicate of Bogie's trench coat as some of us are about Indy's fedora? I have seen some that are really close and if you are 3-4 feet away only the most die hard movie buff would be able to tell the difference. I recently saw a vintage Christian Dior trench coat that had the sleeves sewn on at the shoulder and also had the double gun flap. From a few feet away it looked really close to the pic above. It was too small for me so I didn't get it, but I did get a London fog with the double gun flap, and it had the straps on the sleeves and the epaulets on the shoulders. It doesn't have the sleeves sewn on at the shoulder but quite frankly it doesn't bother me. That is about the only thing it lacks from being very close in apperance. It still more than captures the spirit and style of the one Bogie wore.

fedoralover

I have a botany 500 that matches this description minus belt because I had to replace it.

it is not in great condition and is a little longer than bogie's, also, it is the wrong color but style wise it is almost dead on.

The gun flaps also button to the coat, did bogie's do that or did they just hang free?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Could anyone tell me what the difference is between just having one gun patch or double gun patch? Besides the purely aesthetic difference, that is. I was just wondering if there are rules as to when you have single, when double and so forth. I noticed that ladies trench have the gun patch on the left side, while gents have it on the right side.

I'm currently ordering this ladies trench, and the company I'm buying it from (above mentioned) will make it to measure for me, and their standard is single gun patch, but I'm considering having them make it double... What do you think?

Also, I've been asking the ladies in the powder room about colors. I've decided to go with stone, I think it will suit my complexion the best while still giving that classic trench coat feel.

LADIES_TRENCH_COAT_Front.gif

LADIES_TRENCH_COAT_Back.gif

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Ugarte, I know what you mean. :) I was just wondering if it's purely a matter of taste or if there is some sort of story connected to it.

And what about raglan vs. standard sleeves? I'm thinking that standard sleeves would look more elegant. What do you think?

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
Ugarte, I know what you mean. :) I was just wondering if it's purely a matter of taste or if there is some sort of story connected to it.

And what about raglan vs. standard sleeves? I'm thinking that standard sleeves would look more elegant. What do you think?

I suspect inset sleeves look better, but Raglans are probably more waterproof and wear differently. Other than that, I have no idea.

Mark

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The "storm flap" is designed to cover the top of the button closure and make a weather-proof seal.
Two storm flaps means you can button a double breasted coat to either side (if possible)
and retain the function of the coat. A feature of double breasted
trench coats. A SB coat need not have one.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara