Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Twin Peaks: James's Jacket?

Fardad

Familiar Face
Anyone know what style James's jacket from Twin Peaks is? (I'll try to find a pic of it in the meantime).

It's the black leather biker jacket with a thin and wide fur collar.

Edward

Bartender
Working from memory, I'd hazard a guess at something like a Schott, given the timeframe in which TP was made.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, that's how I remember it. I don't recall if he ever wore the jacket on screen without the collar, but on all the versions I have ever seen with one, it was a removable affair which studded into place, the same as on the A2/G1 style hybrid type jackets that Schott produced in thed 80s (and, I believe, still do). Silvermans here in London have two different versions of such a jacket, one at GBP400, the other about GBP150 - presumably both of different quality levels. Can't post a picture here (their website doesn't allow it), but look for the CHIPs jackets in the Motorcycle section at www.silvermans.co.uk

I'm sure I've seen a Schott Perfecto with this sort of removable collar also, but just now it eludes me on Google. Aero would probably be a great source too - in fact, while I don't see a source listed on Silvermans' site, the more expensive one is fairly similar to the Aero Brando jacket, just with the additional removable fluffy collar. I'm sure Aero wouldn't have a problem putting something of that nature together.

I apologize for bringing this old thread back from the dead, but being a fan of the show, I too would be very much interested in finding out the manufacturer of the jacket James Marshall's character James Hurley is always seen wearing throughout the series. I took a few screen grabs of the jacket, so perhaps someone might know exactly what it is.

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/DogLizard/library/Twin peaks

Yeah, I know, it's a very straightforward variant of the style, with no distinctive features whatsoever but still... Maybe you guys recognize the model? My uneducated guess would be one of the Excelled versions but having never seen one in person, I cannot be sure. It's definitely not Schott, though.

By the way, the furry collar that appears to look like one of those detachable collars is not in fact that, but rather some kind of furry or fleese vest-thing James' wearing underneath the jacket.

devilish

A-List Customer
It looks like two jackets to me. If you look at the picture of him stood next to the tree in Monitor's link, it appears to go under the leather and there's what looks like the ribbed hem sticking out below the leather jacket's edge.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Interesting!
I had always assumed it was a removable collar, but from the pics it does indeed seem to be some kind of fleece that he is wearing underneath, carefully tucked away so that we can't see it when his jacket is unzipped.

Edward

Bartender
There we are, yes.... Looks like it is indeed something different that I'd always assumed. Which would make fining a similar jacket even easier...

Probably worth seeking out and trawling a dedicated Twin Peaks board on this; somebody out there in the hardcore Peaky fanbase is bound to know exactly what it was.

Better screenshot of the fleece jacket, you can clearly see the (plastic) zipper belonging to the thing, underneath the Perfecto...

However, insanely odd coincidence would have it that the jacket Ksozay posted (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?80437-Stump-the-Lounge) appears to be a dead ringer for the James' jacket! I wish I could see the back of it but so far every detail is a match. The double stitching on the epaulettes, the way pockets are positioned, especially in relation to one another, the collar, belt buckle, and belt loops reaching all the way to the bottom hem of the jacket... Everything is a perfect match! It's the same jacket! Now, if someone would be kind enough to ID it... :D

Edward, I've already been looking there but strangely so, they don't seem to... care. XD

Well what a massive can of suck you've opened. I spent a good chunk of paycheck on a perfecto with the optional mouton collar because I've always thought that jacket was the coolest thing ever, and come to find out my old camel hide cheapo with a ****ing fleece track suit underneath would have done the job. Curse those Hollywood special effects.

Last edited:
lol I'm really sorry dh66. :D For what it's worth, I believe that the Perfecto with the mouton fur collar is what they were originally going for anyway, just couldn't, perhaps, figure it quite out. Fur collar is rarely seen on MC jackets so maybe the costume designer saw it somewhere but didn't know what it was, exactly? James always wears that fleece thing underneath the jacket. There's one scene I remember where James and Audrey's leaving somewhere, and he's putting the jacket on with the fleece thing already being stuck inside so... Hey, maybe this was this particular manufacturers version of a zip-out liner? :D

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
So it looks like a Brody's horsehide MC jacket… It does fit this actor like it's a couple of sizes too wide. That may have been the look they were after. I remember the late 1980's, early 90's when just about everyone seemed to be wearing this kind of black MC jacket. They seemed to take off after people got bored with the Indiana Jones style and A2's.

c29fc4f7370beecbe1fedef4c0944cc7.jpg
732d5fabe540ea057f00a5dca3aa08a9.jpg
923cbd7241601252910a3b406fee9632.jpg

That's a CHP on JD, right?

@Seb Lucas, yep, the jacket's definitely too large for the actor even with all the layers they've stuck underneath. Then again, those were the early 90's...

Edward

Bartender
Fashions in thd 80s tended to a much looser fit; eighties fashions seemed to hold sway in the US until well into the early nineties. Course, he was also supposed to be a young kid, on a budget, living in the back end of nowhere, so wouldn't exactly have had access to the latest fashion either. Given Lynch was in thd big chair, I woildn't rule out it bring thought through like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran