Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two Coat Questions

JRivera

New in Town
1. Do you think a traditional tan trenchcoat (what you picture a man in a business suit wearing on rainy days) is approrpiate to wear over a tuxedo? A set of tails w/ top hat?

2. What kind of coat do you think would look good with a bow tie (worn with white collar shirt and dress slacks) that wasn't a suit jacket/blazer/sportscoat and not a long coat? Are there any leather jackets or short jackets that you can picture completing the look?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
To the first question I'd answer that I see tuxes with trenchcoats or tan raincoats in New York all the time, and you also see it in the old movies. I wouldn't worry about it.
The second question I don't quite understand. Do you mean is it OK to wear a bow tie with another type of jacket than a suit coat or sports jacket? Like an Eisenhower length jacket? I would think that's perfectly OK, too. I think a leather motorcycle style jacket with a bow tie is not going to look as dressy as another type of coat. But as long as you do it with a little style, what the hey.
I think that a varsity jacket with a bow tie might look a little Archie Andrews tho.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
JRivera said:
1. Do you think a traditional tan trenchcoat (what you picture a man in a business suit wearing on rainy days) is approrpiate to wear over a tuxedo? A set of tails w/ top hat?

2. What kind of coat do you think would look good with a bow tie (worn with white collar shirt and dress slacks) that wasn't a suit jacket/blazer/sportscoat and not a long coat? Are there any leather jackets or short jackets that you can picture completing the look?

1. Yes
2. Pretty much any jacket will go with a bow tie. If you're wearing a bow, you'll already thinking way beyond most people, so just go with what you feel.

Navin323i

Practically Family
1) What color is the tux and hat? If black then I'd personally go with a black trenchcoat or one of those waterproof microfiber long coats in a dark color to flow better with the dark color of the tux and hat.

2) How about a leather blazer? I assumed when you said no blazers, sportcoats, etc. that you were referring to the traditional non-leather ones.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
JRivera said:
No and no. If it must be worn account of weather and lack of other attire, then by all means, as it is better than some sort of mountain climbing jacket, but I think that the light color and the general informality of it look out of place. Then again, it is removed when you get where you are going, so it is not that important.
JRivera said:

A slim fitting pea coat looks fantastic with a bowtie, and I think that a lot of the less bulky leather jackets favored by those here would look good too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff