Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unexpected windfall $

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I have this shell cordovan shoe although mine is C&J, made for Ralph Lauren. I wasn't sure if I'd like it at first as it is rather plain, but it is very elegant and works with everything from "super high end selvedge denim" :D to sportcoats. It is my favorite shoe.

yep, they sure are versatile. I already have a very similar pair that have been going strong now for about 8 years, and they still look good. I dunno when these will need to be replaced but on that fateful day those in the link will be my next port of call

Edward

Bartender
Do people really want or use those things?

I do. More expensive start-up than a modern cartridge affair, but the running costs are so low by comparison that four years in it has cost me only a fraction of what the Mach IIIs did after I stopped buying hte next one up due to the crazy price. The better reason, though, if the infinitley superior shave with the DE. Just wish I could see to get the right angle to use it all over my head. Hate expensive, inferior cartridge razors now.

Edward

Bartender

I do. More expensive start-up than a modern cartridge affair, but the running costs are so low by comparison that four years in it has cost me only a fraction of what the Mach IIIs did after I stopped buying hte next one up due to the crazy price. The better reason, though, if the infinitley superior shave with the DE. Just wish I could see to get the right angle to use it all over my head. Hate expensive, inferior cartridge razors now.

wdw

One Too Many
I've started using DE razors recently as well, partly because I'm fed up with the ridiculous cost and waste of other razors. I've gone the whole hog with the badger brush, sandalwood soap and alum block, but the whole process does take a lot longer, although it's somehow more satisfying.

tonypaj

Practically Family

Wiith me it was simple. My now 18 year old son decided to have one, and all the stuff that goes with it, a couple of years back. I figured that if he's dumb enough to try, I can handle that as well. I was surprised, way better shave, way more enjoyable, nicer gear, cheaper in the long run, there's just upsides with these things for me.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
OK, Boyo, let's go back to the original issue related to your recent acquisition of "some unexpected money.. (about $5,000)," and your question to us, "if given the chance what would you buy?" It seems to me this money is burning a hole in your pocket, but please allow me to be the devil's advocate: Don't buy anything in the near future but simply leave your money in the bank, forget about it for the time being, and ignore the axiom that expenditures rise to meet income :D. Sooner or later something will come up that will allow you to make a better investment in some kind of tangible goods than at the present time, such as a size 60, or whatever size a linebacker for the the New York Giants football team such as yourself might wear :D, on Aero's sale page that might be a better value for the money than what you might come up with now.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Fanch, thankfully, the new found loot is not really needed for anything more important than wasting . I know I could stash it in my IRA, a college fund, or a worthy charity. But right now I'm in the mood to spend it on some expensive stuff that I've only seen in pictures. I plan on taking my time with some decisions but it is burning a hole in my pocket. :)

wdw

One Too Many
The jacket will last for years, so is something of an investment, so easily justifiable. I'd also get a couple of pairs of half-decent boots and shoe trees and alternate them. Since I started taking footwear more seriously, I look after them more, which means trees, brushes, alternating and always checking the weather. Although the upfront cost is higher, two pairs will obviously last at least twice as long, and at least you'll always have good boots to match your jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The point that wdw is making is that shoes properly cared for will last much longer than those worn every day without use of shoe trees. Always use cedar trees, and never wear the same shoes two days in a row, even best to skip at least two full days, allowing the cedar trees to remove sweat and maintain shape. Shoes and boots will then last 4-5 times longer than one pair worn every day.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Boyo... just get a bike! Or a classic car! You might not get much of a car for 5 large but trust me, nice jacket aside, nothin' turns heads like an unusual or classic mode of transport.

Worf

Iowa Slim

New in Town
If it was 25 large i'd be with Worf...but you know that Himel will be sex every time you put it on, great sex. Your obviously having fun with it now and I'm sure you'll not regret your pick(s). fun stuff

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Hey guys thanks for the continued input..
Wdw, Ive got 2 sets of cedar tree's probably need a few more..

Worf, Im not really a car guy... I appreciate the classic stuff but it seems like owning one take alot of time and effort. I have a hard enough time keeping the cars I have clean and on PM schedule.

Nick123, great suggestion, thanks

Iowa, its much more fun spending it ($) than it is making it

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Spend every dollar on material goods but promise yourself you'll volunteer a day at a soup kitchen!

I don't think one token day really amounts to anything. Just spend the money. If you insist on doing something good volunteer for a worthwhile period, year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo