Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
I hear you. I can not believe the stuff that my daughter's friends ask for and get away with. I always tell her that I'd rather that she was an alive dork than a popular dead girl. Anyway, we are WAY off topic here and I apologize, but it's always James's fault :p lol

I'm sure that is one of the reasons my about-to-be-16 year old is making plans to move out. a significant number of her friends have "cool" parents that let their kids do and watch whatever they want. We're not prudes but we do set boundaries for our children. I have a good relationship with my kids but I'm still Dad, not their best friend, and sometimes the foot has to come down. She moves into her friends house she doesn't have to deal with that anymore

HepKitty

One Too Many
I'm sure that is one of the reasons my about-to-be-16 year old is making plans to move out. a significant number of her friends have "cool" parents that let their kids do and watch whatever they want. We're not prudes but we do set boundaries for our children. I have a good relationship with my kids but I'm still Dad, not their best friend, and sometimes the foot has to come down. She moves into her friends house she doesn't have to deal with that anymore

Amen brotha

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
Great to be able to express unpopular opinions without a backlash!

I detest Jim Carrey with a passion.
Nicholas Cage only ever plays Nicholas Cage.
Rocky is one of the greatest love stories ever told (hence the user name!).

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Sean Connery only ever plays Sean Connery.
Ditto Jack Nicholson.
Clint Eastwood is overrated ad an actor and director.

They are all pretty fabulous despite all that, I don't detest them, just think they're not 'all that'.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Great to be able to express unpopular opinions without a backlash!

I detest Jim Carrey with a passion.
Nicholas Cage only ever plays Nicholas Cage.
Rocky is one of the greatest love stories ever told (hence the user name!).

Can I add that Sylvester Stallone is underrated, Rocky is a masterpiece.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
John Wayne has always struck me as "all hat and no cattle."

Irving Thalberg was exactly right to take "Greed" away from Erich Von Stroheim.

"Monsieur Verdoux" is Chaplin's funniest film.

Douglas Fairbanks is still the sexiest man ever to appear in movies.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sean Connery only ever plays Sean Connery.
Ditto Jack Nicholson.
Clint Eastwood is overrated ad an actor and director.
They are all pretty fabulous despite all that, I don't detest them, just think they're not 'all that'.
Hi

I remember an article stating that Reagen was poor actor because couldn't play a light in the loafer's actor in some 1930's movie. That being said Neil Patrick Harris is a great actor, believably playing an unrepentant womanizer and NOT playing Neil Patrick Harris.

James Garner always plays James Garner too.

Later

Talbot

One Too Many
I can't understand it myself. My daughter is fifteen now, but she has been subjected to films like that since she was twelve. She was always a semi-outcast at those parties because she left the room. I threw a thirteenth birthday party for her one year and the girls were really upset that we didn't rent blood and gore movies.

Stick to your guns and give it a few years. Your daughters friends will ultimately admire her for her strength of character. If not, they are not worth it.

First hand experience.

Edward

Bartender
It seems to me that, increasingly, it has become the norm for A list Hollywood actors to play themselves - or, at least, a version of their public persona - in all their films. It seems to me, though, that this is not necessarily the fault of the performer him or herself. Tom Cruise, for instance, is one of whom I am no particular fan, but when he gets cast against type or in something otherwise interesting - Interview with the Vampire, Valkyrie, Vanilla Sky - he shows himself to be a talented actor. I feel that much of the blame for this must fall to the Hollywood business machine, hiring say tom Cruise or Brad Pitt to make a 'Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt' film. Not all those who play themselves in everything are so limited in their range; it may well be the case that that is all they get hired to do.

It seems to me that, increasingly, it has become the norm for A list Hollywood actors to play themselves - or, at least, a version of their public persona - in all their films. It seems to me, though, that this is not necessarily the fault of the performer him or herself. Tom Cruise, for instance, is one of whom I am no particular fan, but when he gets cast against type or in something otherwise interesting - Interview with the Vampire, Valkyrie, Vanilla Sky - he shows himself to be a talented actor. I feel that much of the blame for this must fall to the Hollywood business machine, hiring say tom Cruise or Brad Pitt to make a 'Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt' film. Not all those who play themselves in everything are so limited in their range; it may well be the case that that is all they get hired to do.

That has been the Hollywood Machine since its inception really. Being typecast goes with the territory. In some sense, the audience(the public) expect them to act that way not only on film but in real life. Bogart played in Bogart movies and Douglas Fairbanks played in Douglas Fairbanks movies.
Not too likely you would have seen Chaplin as a swashbuckler or Shakespearean actor. You won't see Edward G. Robinson playing a light in the loafers character in any of his movies either. :p;)

Flat Foot Floey

Unpopular in the fedora lounge or in the mainstream? I think it is very easy to guess that "hostel" wouldn't get much fans here. So it is a quite popular movie opinion.

Golden era related:

Greta Garbo is just a cold diva and therefore boring. I just don't care what she thinks or feels...so why should I watch a whole movie with her? Haha! And I dislike her eyebrows. (But not as cruel as Jean Harlow's)
Marlene Dietrich is similar but the movies are better.

Undertow

John Wayne has always struck me as "all hat and no cattle."

I don't know if I already said this, but oh man! I agree here! If I see he's in a movie, I change the channel. I've never liked the Duke from day one. I even toured his birth home (a friend's mom was running the John Wayne Birthday Celebration thing in Winterset, IA one year), and left unimpressed. [huh]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't so much dislike his movies as much as the whole mystique around the man himself -- he's a competent enough actor, in the type of movies he made, but the whole packaging of him in his later life as The Very Living Breathing Embodiment Of America On A Ritz Cracker always struck me as a bit too too too. He made a *movie* about Iwo Jima. He never actually *fought* at Iwo Jima -- or anywhere else, for that matter.

1961MJS

I don't so much dislike his movies as much as the whole mystique around the man himself -- he's a competent enough actor, in the type of movies he made, but the whole packaging of him in his later life as The Very Living Breathing Embodiment Of America On A Ritz Cracker always struck me as a bit too too too. He made a *movie* about Iwo Jima. He never actually *fought* at Iwo Jima -- or anywhere else, for that matter.

I read his biography and his daughter Aissa's biography of him. He didn't have enough money to join the service since his film career and the war really took off at the same time. He was apparently in constant turmoil about whether to join up or not, but the studio won that battle.

John Wayne was in many ways the hero he was made out to be. He was also a kind of pathetic figure. As an example, he had a financial adviser. During the 1950's, Wayne was in several films and made over $250,000. His house was then paid off, and he already had several cars. He went Xmas shopping, and all of his checks bounced. His financial adviser had spent all of his money. At that same time, Montgomery Clift (if I remember correctly) was worth more than $20 Million.

John Wayne's Mother always disliked him. His original name was Marion Robert Morrison and went by Robert, but his Mom had another kid and they liked the name Robert better, so they renamed the Duke Marion Mitchell and called him Marion. He was older than 5 at the time, and didn't like the name. (Can't imagine why) The whole Duke thing came from his dog Duke. John Wayne was Little Duke until the dog died of old age...

I like the Duke (obviously), but I feel the way you do about the Dallas Cowboys as you do about the Duke. When I was in Junior high and High School, they were "America's Team", Spit, spit, cough, cough...

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari