Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Probably unpopular here but I actually like quite a few of Brad Pitt's flicks. I really enjoyed Fight Club, Seven, Seven Years in Tibet (dodgy accent and all), A River Runs Through It, Twelve Monkeys and Spy Game.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
Pitt can be brilliant. i've worked in/around mental health for 18 years and his portrayal in "12 Monkeys" was brilliant.

"Fight Club" was a great venue for him. of course it was an amazing film, based on a great book.

but in most cases you hire Brad Pitt because he's "Brad Pitt". i can blame him for taking bad projects, but he can act just fine in the right circumstances.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He didn't have enough money to join the service since his film career and the war really took off at the same time...
John Wayne's Mother always disliked him...

That's strange, when the service drafted my grandfather, he was only 17 and didn't have a dime to his name. lol In fact, the Army waited with bated breath for him to turn 18 before they swooped in (the day after he graduated from high school) and scooped him up with little ceremony. Poor guy had to anticipate his service before he was even eligible. lol

I've also heard quite a bit about the Duke's mom not liking him. As I said, an old friend of mine lived in Winterset and their family was charged with various "John Wayne" duties while cleaning up the orginal birth house for public showing. At one point, my friend's father had to clean out the back of the house and found a significant mountain of empty whiskey bottles stashed away (under the house, I believe?) from the Duke's mother. I won't attempt to rewrite history or anything, but I understand from local residents that were familiar with the family she wasn't the nicest person to anyone and a bit of a drinker.

That's strange, when the service drafted my grandfather, he was only 17 and didn't have a dime to his name. lol In fact, the Army waited with bated breath for him to turn 18 before they swooped in (the day after he graduated from high school) and scooped him up with little ceremony. Poor guy had to anticipate his service before he was even eligible. lol

I've also heard quite a bit about the Duke's mom not liking him. As I said, an old friend of mine lived in Winterset and their family was charged with various "John Wayne" duties while cleaning up the orginal birth house for public showing. At one point, my friend's father had to clean out the back of the house and found a significant mountain of empty whiskey bottles stashed away (under the house, I believe?) from the Duke's mother. I won't attempt to rewrite history or anything, but I understand from local residents that were familiar with the family she wasn't the nicest person to anyone and a bit of a drinker.

A bit of a drinker?! With a mountain of whiskey bottles as evidence, I would say she was a bit of a drinker just as much as a fish is a bit of a drinker. :p;)

rue

It seems to me that, increasingly, it has become the norm for A list Hollywood actors to play themselves - or, at least, a version of their public persona - in all their films. It seems to me, though, that this is not necessarily the fault of the performer him or herself. Tom Cruise, for instance, is one of whom I am no particular fan, but when he gets cast against type or in something otherwise interesting - Interview with the Vampire, Valkyrie, Vanilla Sky - he shows himself to be a talented actor. I feel that much of the blame for this must fall to the Hollywood business machine, hiring say tom Cruise or Brad Pitt to make a 'Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt' film. Not all those who play themselves in everything are so limited in their range; it may well be the case that that is all they get hired to do.

Interview with a Vampire.... now that's a movie I love that most didn't, but then again I love Anne Rice books [huh] In fact, it's one of the few movies that I loved Tom cruise, Brad Pitt or Antonio Banderas in.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Ha! So we've a lot in common - family in Lancs and a love of Rocky!

I truly love Rocky - both the film and the character. His love for Adrian is a masterclass in romance.

People often forget how well written Rocky is, and what a fantastic performance Sly gives. He's a very smart guy (although I'm certainly not a fan of many of his other films).
It's all too easy to remember 'key' bits of films, 'the steps' 'Adriaaan!', and forget the best bits. Most people forget just how gritty Saturday Night Fever is, for example. I remember it as the first mainstream film that I saw that used the 'C' word!

On John Wayne, I have always hated all his films, except 'Brannigan' which is one of the funniest films I have ever seen.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
It's the one where he manages to have either a car chase or fight around every London landmark EVER, whether they are 2 minutes or 10 miles apart. It's like starting a fight outside the Empire State Building. getting punched and landing on the Brooklyn Bridge, kicking the guy in the 'nads and he bounces off the Statue of Liberty.....

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Katherine Hepburn in all of her neurotic movies

Bette Davis in 90% of her movies, save one or two of the very early ones

most recent, Diane Keaton, in all of her Woody Allen movies.

There are more :D but those are the ones i recall at the moment.

More dislike for Avatar here. Visually interesting, but standard performances (with the exception of Stephen Lang) and a "nothing special about it" story. The most overrated film since Home Alone.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Buster Keaton's talkies didn't all stink.

The Marx Brothers' MGM pictures all did. *Including* Night At The Opera.

Harry Langdon's "Three's A Crowd" is one of the most memorable comedy features of the twenties. And not for the wrong reasons.

Ricardo Cortez was the best Sam Spade.

I'm attempting to watch "Night At The Opera" right now. I wonder if annoying is what they were going for here. EEESH.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm attempting to watch "Night At The Opera" right now. I wonder if annoying is what they were going for here. EEESH.

The big problem with it is that MGM completely missed the point of the Marx Brothers -- they felt that they needed to have a rational explanation for everything they did, and that they had to become "empathetic" characters. When they had that goon beat up Harpo to make us "feel sorry for him," they completely lost me. Harpo never needed anyone to feel sorry for him at Paramount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari