Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Untiled Stuff in you Pockets Thread

Zach R.

Practically Family
Lemme see. Front left pocket: a small Old Timer Pocketknife and my car keys. Front right: Waterman Phileas Fountain pen(if I don't wear a shirt with a front pocket, which isn't often). Back Left: White Handkerchief. Back Right: Slim Money Clip Wallet(usually empty). :p

Mycroft

One Too Many
Zach R. said:
Lemme see. Front left pocket: a small Old Timer Pocketknife and my car keys. Front right: Waterman Phileas Fountain pen(if I don't wear a shirt with a front pocket, which isn't often). Back Left: White Handkerchief. Back Right: Slim Money Clip Wallet(usually empty). :p

How much and where did you get your foutain pen? Is it good quality and smooth in writing?

Blackjack

One Too Many
Cool post... Me I carry either a 1934 Union Pacific Lucky Piece or a 1946 Milwaukee Rd. Lucky Piece with a 46 penny in the center with a suit. A mid 50's nudie "flicker" keychain, or sometimes an 1800's ivory pokerchip. With jeans one of an assortment of pocketknives and my dad's army wristwatch that he wore all through WWII.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Blackjack said:
Cool post... Me I carry either a 1934 Union Pacific Lucky Piece or a 1946 Milwaukee Rd. Lucky Piece with a 46 penny in the center with a suit. A mid 50's nudie "flicker" keychain, or sometimes an 1800's ivory pokerchip. With jeans one of an assortment of pocketknives and my dad's army wristwatch that he wore all through WWII.

What is a flicker keychain? Are you superstissious? Cool stuff, how did you find an 1800's pocker chip?

Blackjack

One Too Many
No (lol) I'm not superstitious. Don't you remember flicker rings years ago, if you moved them back and forth the image would change? Same thing only bigger and has a beautiful brunette in a nightgown that lets say gets revealed when you move it. As for the ivory poker chip, I collected those once upon a time.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Blackjack said:
No (lol) I'm not superstitious. Don't you remember flicker rings years ago, if you moved them back and forth the image would change? Same thing only bigger and has a beautiful brunette in a nightgown that lets say gets revealed when you move it. As for the ivory poker chip, I collected those once upon a time.

I think I know what you mean.

varga49

One of the Regulars
In my right pocket, Keys to my 68 chevy pickup...does 1968 count as vintage or just old? 5 sponge balls (one inch), 2 small knives (color changing), Two d'lites, one in each pocket. In my left pocket is a johnson half dollarand twenty centavo aka scotch and soda 1 sponge ball (two inch). In my watch pocket is my victorinox pocket watch, a johnson quarter and a johnson dime and penny. my cigar punch is usually in there somewhere!
!gotta have big pockets to do close up magic!

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I can't stand stuff in my front britches pockets.

I hang my car and house keys from a belt keeper. I may have some loose change from after a purchase, but as soon as I get to my truck it goes in the console change holder. I keep a ball point pen, business cards, and small memo pad in the breast pocket of my shirt. I have a very slim billfold that I wear in my left rear pocket and a Cold Steel Large Clip Point Voyager folding knife clipped inside my right rear pocket. I wear a 1 3/4 inch garrison belt that also serves as a gunbelt for when I'm packing heat.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Biltmore Bob said:
I can't stand stuff in my front britches pockets.

I hang my car and house keys from a belt keeper. I may have some loose change from after a purchase, but as soon as I get to my truck it goes in the console change holder. I keep a ball point pen, business cards, and small memo pad in the breast pocket of my shirt. I have a very slim billfold that I wear in my left rear pocket and a Cold Steel Large Clip Point Voyager folding knife clipped inside my right rear pocket. I wear a 1 3/4 inch garrison belt that also serves as a gunbelt for when I'm packing heat.

I hate stuff in the breast pocket.

fountwriter

New in Town
I usually have a pocket watch in my one of my vest pockets and a silver snuff box in the other. In my jacket I carry a small pocket notebook for random jottings, and in my shirt pocket I keep a fountain pen and a mechanical drafting pencil. In my trousers, just your standard 2 hanky, wallet, and pocketknife package.

Adam

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
In my everyday runabout clothes, I carry a comb in front right with keys, wallet in back right. In my front left pocket, I car a pilot gel pin, small swiss army knife like the banks give away to customers, and listerine pocket strips. In my leather flight jacket, I usually carry a leather bound writing pad.

In my suit, I carry my pocket knife in my left trouser pocket and a comb in my right pocket with my small key chain with only the keys that I absolutely have to have. In my jacket left inside pocket I carry my leather check style wallet and my zippo lighter that has the gold US Army WWII Eagle and my fountain pin. In my right inside pocket, I carry 2 handkerchiefs. One for my use and one for the lady if she needs one.

GG

Fountain pens

Mycroft said:
Does anyone recomend a basic, nice, kinda beginers foutain pen (around $10-$50)? How about stock broker's pens or pencils, any recomedations?

You didn't say if you wanted a period piece for your fountain pen. It is posible to get a nice working vintage Sheaffer Balance pen from the 30-40's for about $50. Go for a lever fill one as they are much easier to get fixed than the plunger style. Wahl-Eversharp, you may find a period piece like a symphony. I can heartily reccomend an Esterbrook the early style with 2 holes in the clip or somewhat later 40-50's are both workhorse pens and are easy to repair with new nibs still available. Vintage is a gamble only because you just don't know what you can stumble into. You should ask family members and in laws if they have any old fountain pens in a desk or box tucked away somewheres. Sometimes you can get Uncle Soandso's pen and have it cleaned and restored for a small amount of money. That has a plus, you have a direct connection to the past. About 90% of old fountain pens can be restored to working condition pretty easy. Even bent nibs and scratchy writers can usually be fixed. If a pen has not been abused you can wind up with a beautiful pen that writes like a house afire. In US pens look for Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman, and Wahl Eversharp. Add Conklin too. There are others that were high end only some low end only, and so on.

If you are looking for current production pens (NEW) for $50 and under there are several that are well worth the $. Also, if you do web shopping, try to find out what the MSRP is for a pen and try not to pay more than 20% off MSRP.

Current Good (student type) fountain pens:
Waterman Phileas $35
Pilot Knight $45
Lamy Safari & Safari Allstar $35
Rotring 600 can be found on special.
Maybe a Pelikan M200.

Look for specials and clearences at the web site dealers.

As to stockbroker type; here you are pointing towards a more high end pen of the period and they tend to be high end in vintage. Parker Duofolds, Wahl Dorics and Gold Seal pens, Waterman Patricians or Hundred Year pens, Sheaffer Balance Lifetime and oversized. As to pencils ther are a fair amount of vintage pens where they were sold as a Pen & Pencil Sets.

For some men with an office or pratice of some type, they often would have a desk set that was imppressive.

Happy Pen Hunting and if you are in the So Cal Area check under events, the LA pen Show is next month in Manhattan Beach Marriott Sunday 2/19/06.

With in the last 2 months i have acquire the following vintage pens: 2 Parker Vacumatics for the 40's in celluloid on Black & Blue the other black & green both gold trim Blue Diamond models and they are classics. A nice Waterman Commando in a Butterscotch cream swirl witha flex fine nib. A wahl Personal Point Gold Seal fountain pen mottled pearl & black with a military or soldier clip. Finally an Eversharp Symphomy in green with Silver and gold cap and a somewhat flexible fine nib.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Money (bills, no clip)
small credit card wallet holding plastic $$$, business cards etc.
Original Leatherman
1 x roll of Kodak Tri-X black and white film (135 format, 36 exp.)
1 x Sekonic 308 lightmeter
1 x cellphone
1 x pen of some sort

Thunderbolt said:
The ink it comes with is blue, but all the replacement ink comes in black (that I've seen). When switching from blue to black, the pen writes in a dark blue, then gets darker and darker until black.

They are made in France and they take both disposable and non desposable ink cartriges. I never get the disposables. I just keep using the non desposable and a bottle of ink. It is a clear plastic tube with a stopper inside that draws the ink in with a screwing action. Basicly, it works like a syringe but you screw the stopper back and not pull it.
The variety of inks for Fountain Pens is on the rise with an astonishing array of colors available. Parker just makes a few colors but you probably can find another brand ink that makes more colors in the cartridge style you need. I have heard of people using an eyedropper to refill a cartridge so they may use other inks.

The reuseable cartridge is called "a converter" it converts a cartidge pen to bottle fill. There are many types of converters available for many brands and sometimes specific to a model. There are some models using a cartridge that a converter will not fit. Bottle filler pens are better in as much the selection of inks from the bottle is greater than in cartridge.

WARNING: NEVER USE INDIA INK in a fountain pen. India and many drawing inks contain a varnish for permanance and drying. The varnish will dry inside the pen rendering the feed portion plugged and unuseable. If the replacement is not available the pen may not be able to be fixed.

For the lovers of color, the brand Private Reserve has a kit and directions on mixing their brand inks of different colors to make Personal Colors!

Happy Writing!

Carry your own Grail Diary!

When i am working I sometimes carry a pocket sized Moleskine notebook. They have re-introduced the thicker one as a daily journal. For those that don't know in the movie "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" the father's "Grail Diary" was (supposedly) a Moleskine note book but the thicker style.

Punch in Moleskine(s) in a Google or similar search engine they have a US annd a UK website. See what famous people used them and where else they can be seen.

One thing is they are suppose to improve the paper as with some inks there is read thru, so you may only be able to write on one side of a page. I tend to like the grid ones most for regular notebooks.

Moleskine notebooks

John in Covina said:
When i am working I sometimes carry a pocket sized Moleskine notebook. They have re-introduced the thicker one as a daily journal. For those that don't know in the movie "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" the father's "Grail Diary" was (supposedly) a Moleskine note book but the thicker style.

Punch in Moleskine(s) in a Google or similar search engine they have a US annd a UK website. See what famous people used them and where else they can be seen.

One thing is they are suppose to improve the paper as with some inks there is read thru, so you may only be able to write on one side of a page. I tend to like the grid ones most for regular notebooks.
http://www.moleskine.co.uk/
http://www.moleskineus.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo