Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Authentic A-2 Jacket Review!

Weston

A-List Customer
Well, got my first (and I hope only) A-2 today. I've been reading the reviews for weeks now to determine the right one to get. There were a couple determining factors:

1. Budget- Wanted highest quality for least price. But not Cooper of Avirex.

2. Overall closeness to original look. I'm sure the pocket nipple attachies are not too accurate (they are gold colored), and certainly the Talon Zipper is nowhere near accurate looking, but I can look past that.

3. Had to be on eBay, in my size, and cheap!

Having monitored most major manufacturer's sale pages (Eastman, US Authentic), was heart broken to find an Eastman listed for $150 I just missed. Found a US Authentic on eBay, size 40 that was close to what I wanted to pay.

Initially wanted a pic off the sale page of a wrinkled leather A-2 Shaul Dover had on Flightjacket.com, but he didn't want to send a pic. That's OK, found a US Authentic exactly like I wanted on eBay for $20 more, so paid a grand total with shipping of $180. Impressions?

Put it on, I'm a size 40 in suitcoat, size short. Sleeves are a little form fitting, which I like. Body of jacket falls to my waist like a normal jacket. Not sure if its my short torso, but fits like a modern day jacket in terms of ending at my waist line, not high up like some pics I've seen. Room in the chest, but not "swimmy". Can tell this would accommodate someone with a little bit of a gut. I'm pretty trim, so fit is OK without being blousy. Good to know I can go for the double cheeseburger without worry! LOL

Pocket spacing was nice, size excellent. Not too big or too small.

Hardware too obviously brand new. Will need to find a way to "old" them up ASAP.

Leather feels nice, never had Goat. Smells good. How does goat wear? Well? I've seen some awesome worn horsehide, should I attempt to wear the heck out of my Goat, or will it just wear it out instead of breaking it in? Not that it needs it, being so soft.

Details like jacket hook and label tag very pleasant. Pleased by interior stamps. Want to print name inside as in old jackets, do I need to use a fabric marker? Also, are the stencils they used commercially available?

Epaulets flair well. Don't stay glued down to the jacket as in others I've seen.

Overall, the only thing I would change that I can't is the zipper. Wonder if I could snag an old WWII zipper and have it resewn?

Overall, very pleased and at a price affordable to a student (at seminary).

Thanks for reading my review!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
They are really awesome jackets for the price.

I just bought one of their horsehide A2's in russet brown a few months ago and I love it! I wanted a jacket that was affordable yet close to the first jackets produced in the 30's, and I had never had a horsehide before so had to try it. Now I want one or two in all the colors and leathers! I think the fit is the best of all the jackets I've tried so far, in that they are cut a just little bit longer than most.

Goatskin, even though it seems lighter than other leathers, actually wears better. Maybe due to the fact that it already has a grainy texture from the start, so that as it wears surface cracks do not develop in the leather. Horsehide and cowhide start out relatively smooth by comparison, but soon develop all kinds of tiny creases and cracks as the leather breaks in. Areas that over time may be more prone then to losing the protective surface finish.
Congratulations on your find. I have to get back on ebay and see if I can snag a deal on another! :cheers1:

Bebop

Practically Family
I love mine!

I have a U.S. Authentic goat A-2 that is great. Goat wears very well. It is tough and my jacket has seen some rain without any negative effects. It is my second A-2. The first being a Cooper. The U.S. Authentic is by far the superior jacket. It fits me as if it was custom made. I also wear a size 40 and you got a good bargain at $180. Enjoy it. You will have it for a long time.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Wow, it's really nice to see US Authentic A-2s get some good press! US A's jackets *regularly* take a beating from the hardcore jacketeers... But for those of us who aren't disposed to spend $500+ for an Eastman/Aero/McCoys/Lost Worlds/Ricksons/etc. (and with even the Flight Suits historical models up in the $400s on their site - and $500s if you order from their catalog), US A's are definitely a great alternative.

I've had a US A horsehide A-2 for almost four years, and it is a superbly tough and beautiful jacket with lots of character. Sure, it's not at the level of accuracy of the jackets costing hundreds more, but it's way better than the current-spec Cooper/Avirex/US Wings offerings. I'm very happy to hear that other folks are enjoying their US A A-2s...

Fellow US Authentic owners, I salute you!

Weston

A-List Customer
Yeah, there's an unfortunate stigma going around on re-enacting forums, etc. It seems to run like this:

1. Accuracy is everything, no matter what.
2. To obtain accuracy, do anything required.
3. Anything required=spend $1,000.

If you aren't willing to take these steps, you're either
A. An idiot or
B. A rank "amateur"

Got news for ya boys: we don't all have deep pockets, and to some of us, we'd love a Buzz Rickson. But we don't have a ton of cash, sorry. Jackets should still be fun to wear, not the reason to go to work to pay off your loan to a company in Japan! :)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
You're absolutely right Doc,...

Doctor Strange said:
I've had a US A horsehide A-2 for almost four years, and it is a superbly tough and beautiful jacket with lots of character. Sure, it's not at the level of accuracy of the jackets costing hundreds more, but it's way better than the current-spec Cooper/Avirex/US Wings offerings. I'm very happy to hear that other folks are enjoying their US A A-2s...

Fellow US Authentic owners, I salute you!

I'd say it's by far the best value in this country for an A2. Mine was $387 all totalled and it arrived in only 2 days time. With a few very minor refinements these jackets will own the market! Not much room for improvement in my opinion, though. :cheers1:

Rinterstate

New in Town
I bought my US Authenic in December about 2 week before this past Christmas. I got the goatskin, my first goat. I love it. Overall fit was much better than the Cooper I have. The sleeves are more true to the originals, not blousy like the Coopers. I would like to get one of their horsehides in a few years. God willing or should I say wife willing :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
A perfect example of the lack of respect for US A A-2s from the jacketeer elite - Weston also posted this review over at the Vintage Leather Jackets forum. The thread had two quick replies, then quickly dropped dead...

Well, I guess we should be glad that they're not ganging up on him and going all "Well, US Authentics are okay, but if you want a *real* repro, try Eastman, Aero or Real McCoys..."!

Annoying, isn't it?

Rinterstate

New in Town
Hey Doc Strange,
I would love to see some picts of your Authenics horsehide. I'm considering one from them in the future and they don't have many pictures of it online.
Any chance I could see how your jacket looks?
Thanks
Randy

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
What's your point?

Doc,

As a regular poster on VLJ3, I wonder what you are reading into the fact that Weston's post only had two replies? I don't think that implies either disdain or lack of agreement. I post lots of stuff that doesn't even get two replies!

I think you'll find that many posters on VLJ3 either own or have owned jackets by US wings, Avirex or Cooper. I don't wish to speak for others, but I think I can say that some VLJ3 posters wear them as what they are - good everyday jackets without the pretence of 'total authenticity' (whatever that may mean). Then they have their 'best jackets' - repros that they are prepared to spend big money on, even, sometimes, more than originals are available for. I don't understand this (I would go for an original every time), but I recognise their right to spend their own money on what they want.

Just my opinion.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Alas, I have no good recent pictures. The one below was taken after only a couple of months of wear, and doesn't reflect the level of graining and wrinkling it has now. It's also a bit dark and low-res (shot with just a 1-megapixel camera, and hand-held, so there's a touch of softness from camera movement). And yes, it's a very dark seal - though the mix of flourescent and hot lights in this picture does render it pretty accurately.

msghrs1.jpg

I've definitely got to shoot it again one of these days...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Alan, all I know is that I've spent several years on all the jacket forums now, and it's very rare for anything nice to get said about US A. The recent glee with which folks were demanding that Shaul *must* make good on that custom G-1 with problems is much more typical - and equivalent problems from the premium repro makers are often glossed over.

I know many of the folks there have had good experiences with US A, but there is a distinct snobbery at work. And I'm really tired of it. For the price, US A makes a good product, and they are the epitome of a small biz (I've been there - we're talking three sewing machines) and they need the support of the jacketeer crowd, not the dismissive disgust. Certainly, there's room for all kinds of repro jackets, and all kinds of repro jacket fans.

I've got nothing against the folks who are boosters for the other firms (I hope to get my hands on some of those primo jackets sometime too!), and Lord knows, I've written plenty of threads that have dropped dead prematurely. But you'll notice that I didn't even comment on the US A review thread over there - I'm just tired of being the voice crying in the wilderness...

Havana

One of the Regulars
The whole "my threads are more accurate than your threads" argument is bloody, flippin' ridiculous. I think it all points to some kind of inner insecurity. For historical purposes, I can understand it but as a standard for everyday wearing? I don't think there's anything wrong with a quality jacket that is correct in spirit if not in every last detail. I will always argue for quality but these thread counters need to move beyond the "acquisition" and into the "wearing." I know a guy who acts like his jacket was crafted by Zeus himself. He goes on and on about how great it is and how he wouldn't compromise on the details. In nearly two years, I've never seen the dude wear it! If you've got a jacket that you're happy with, wear it proudly like a second skin.

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
Instead of bickering, why doesnt someone answer his question about having the zipper replaced? I posted this same question yesterday morning and was never answered either. :)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Zipper

I don't think we're bickering. I accept Dr. Strange's points about some of the posters on VLJ3. I don't think you can generalise those points to everyone who posts there. The phrase 'the jacketeer elite' is used in a context that would imply the whole forum, which I suspect is probably not what the Doc intended.

To answer the question - yes you can have a WW2 zipper inserted, but they are expensive. A good place to start would be eBay. Look up seller Santi1. I'm sure US A would install it for a fee. It might be cheaper to get a good repro Talon put in for less money.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, we're not bickering.

I was just making the observation that many of the hardcore flight jacket fans seem to think that US A's jackets aren't worthwhile, and they don't want to recognize that US A provides some darn nice products for the budget segment of the market. I guess it's just human nature: you see essentially the same behavior among camera nuts, car buffs, and in every area of collecting...

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
Hey I understand, and no offense intended. Sometimes I forget that over the internet, its harder to judge someones demeanor than in person. I wasnt really that serious.:)

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
For what it's worth, I have a goat US Authentic A2 that I bought a year ago and like it very much. I post every now and then on the flight jacket forum and I agree that US A doesn't seem to get a lot of respect among many jacket buffs. Nobody would claim that their jackets are as authentic as the Aeros, Real McCoys, etc, but they are pretty nice jackets made in the spirit of the original A2s for a very good price. The important elements that define the original A2 are present, but without the stitch-for-stitch correctness of some of the higher end repros. I can live with that, especially for the money!
My US Authentic wears well, fits well, and does the job for me. I have conisdered customizing it a little with a name strip and possibly an inside pocket. A better zipper would be about the only other thing I would consider doing to personalize it a bit. The good thing is you could do a few custom mods to one of their jackets and still not have a ton of money in it. Their A2 would also be a good one to tinker with before spending bigger bucks on one of the higher end repros...I'm thinking of the water treatment, for example. I think they make a good quality A2 jacket for the money.

Rinterstate

New in Town
Thanks for the photo Doctor Strange, nice looking jacket. I will definitely look into a horsehide from US Authentic. For what I'm looking for in an A-2 you can't be the price from them. Oh BTW guys and gals thanks for a great website and forum!

Cheers

bfrench

Familiar Face
US A review

StraightRazor said:
Instead of bickering, why doesnt someone answer his question about having the zipper replaced? I posted this same question yesterday morning and was never answered either. :)

Hi, Folks,

The same post - word for word - was done on VLJ III and he received good comments.

The zipper repair / replacement was also answered there.

I'll give the same answer - wear the jacket until the zipper needs replacing - in the meantime find a nos Talon on eBay and use that as the repair / replacement when it needs to be done.

Addressing the anal retrospective of some of the high end repro jacket collectors - well it's what they get off on. I'm a little of both.

I originally thought US A was the best bargain for a repro but have since changed my mind and go with Gibson and Barnes.

By the time you get the options you want at US A you've just about spent what you would have at G&B.

Now for US A - they've only got to do a few small changes to oust G&B from first place.

Like make the collar come to the middle of the wind flap, shorten the length of the cuffs and change the text on the name tag to make it more in line with a generic original.

All small things that will not drive the price up but certainly increase the original look.

Bill French

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy