Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Disapointment

epr25

Practically Family
So I live in a fairly large town. I never I mean never run into anyone else dressed in vintage. I was at a church sale and saw another lady that was dressed all in vintage and I was so excited. (but thought that I should look at everything before she got it :p ) But I was so totally disappointed when she was not friendly at all. I mean at all. I guess I was being naive that we all were kind of in an unwritten club and was stupid to think she would be polite and friendly. Not a word. Has anyone else ever ran into another vintage person and got the cold shoulder?

lyburnum

Practically Family
Oh yes. There's one person in particular (they aren't on this forum and I won't mention their name, I'm sure some of the other London ladies will know who I'm talking about), who seems to be fairly arrogant and precious about vintage fashion. She tends not to reply to messages asking simple things like where she got clothes from or how to do her hair (I'm not the only one who's experienced this) and apparently is fairly rude in person when complimented on how she looks.

Although I could just be jealous, because she is very beautiful!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Hopefully your vintage stranger was just a bit shy epr25. Maybe if you see her again you should approach her directly and tell her how great you think she looks. If that doesn't get her at least smiling then maybe she likes being 'the only gay in the village' (that may only make sense to the Brits) and finds your presence threatening.

I know that I am not always very good at being friendly and smiley to other vintage gals about town but it's only because I feel a little awkward - if anybody ever speaks to me I am always friendly and grateful for any compliments received!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, both kinds:

Those that are so on guard, that they are not use to others giving compliments, and those that think they are 'so much more' vintage than you that you are not worth their time.

I try to see as much good in a person and ignore the negative. So I smile and go on.

LD

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Ditto on the awkwardness. There is one girl here in Toronto who is basically my vintage idol but every time I see her I am too ashamed at my lackadaisical vintage look to say hello.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
One thing to remember: Just because someone likes vintage, doesn't make them any less likely to suck as much as anyone else you might meet. Just remember that and you'll be fine.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
yep... i've NOT-met rockabilly clubs full of them. lol

but yeah, i've had experiences like that at least a few times in my life. it's even worse when you are pining away for a vintage-friend and you get the cold shoulder!

epr25

Practically Family
True true I was just disappointed in speaking to someone and getting a blank stare. It's not like I am worried about it I just found it interesting to see someone else. I was carrying a crinoline so maybe she was hating me for getting that before her lol

KittyT said:
One thing to remember: Just because someone likes vintage, doesn't make them any less likely to suck as much as anyone else you might meet. Just remember that and you'll be fine.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
MissHannah said:
maybe she likes being 'the only gay in the village' (that may only make sense to the Brits)
Or Stateside fans of Little Britain :D

I know I'm INCREDIBLY shy, so maybe some people are just uncomfortable with strangers running up to them, even if it is positive? And the world is full of it's fair share of rude people.

Great point, KittyT!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Well I can rest assured that it wasn't me :) I haven't donned anything remotely vintage for the last few months!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Yes, I have met some snobby vintage people in my time. I have probably been a snobby vintage person a few times too. :p We all have those times when we don't really want to be bothered. But I completely agree with what KittyT has stated.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
yep... i've NOT-met rockabilly clubs full of them. lol

but yeah, i've had experiences like that at least a few times in my life. it's even worse when you are pining away for a vintage-friend and you get the cold shoulder!

Oh my goodness Shoo Shoo, my husband and I were talking about this very thing this past Saturday...at a car show here in town. The few (counted: handful) of RAB girls or RAB couples at the show were so uptight and unfriendly. I passed this one girl on the way to the ladies room and politely said "Hi" and I though she was passing a walnut through her butt at that very moment, she totally ignored me and walked away all pickled pussed.

You would think there would be some more solidarity...nope.

Blondie

Practically Family
desi_de_lu_lu said:
'' I though she was passing a walnut through her butt at that very moment'']
Desi de Lu lu ~ you are too funny, i nearly pee'ed myself laughing when i read this !!!!!!
I always smile say "hi" if i see anyone who even looks vaguely vintage,
if they don't say hello back , then i figure it's their loss !

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Blondie said:
Desi de Lu lu ~ you are too funny, i nearly pee'ed myself laughing when i read this !!!!!!
I always smile say "hi" if i see anyone who even looks vaguely vintage,
if they don't say hello back , then i figure it's their loss !

Hahaa.. then you KNOW the face that they make that I am describing....it is like. .."Do I smell like an onion or something?"

I would love to meet more vintage couples or just vintage folks in general.

I guess people forget that being cordial and having manners is "old school" too.

C'est la vie!

Blondie

Practically Family
Today i saw Keith Urban, i know he is not vintage, but i was tempted to say
"G'day mate"
And EPR25 if i lived in your town i would def. be your friend !

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I would SO say hi to another Vintager!
I wish I could meet someone around here who has an interest. I could definately use a shopping buddy. It's no fun to hold up something in a store and say "what do you think?" to my fiance. His only response is "you'd look good". *Sigh* I know that!! lol- I just want someone's ACTUAL opinion! haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou