Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Outerwear: Threads of the Past

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Deerfoot
1707750015359.png

1707750033730.png

1707750062442.png

1707750114752.png

Yamahana

One Too Many
Here’s another Albert Richard with that triangular stitch at the cuff strap.

[/URL]

View attachment 589474

Here’s one that was on eBay forever. Now on YAJ. Has the same union ticket.

[/URL]

View attachment 589475

Glad you got it. It’s beautiful, congrats!
Thanks, me as well. The strap stitching pattern does appear to be distinctive to Albert Richard.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
A few thoughts. Since it is Vintage I will put it here.

I'm not quite sure if the new wave Vintage will read this. I know their handles, I see the jackets and; They are noted that they walk the walk. Interesting to watch. I like it.

I can hardly keep up with my own doings, I loose track of all the other jackets seeming coming from everywhere. I'm saying jackets I've never seen. To me that means something I can't convey.

I have seen several of the most interesting jackets bought by folks here. I'm forgetting who has what at this point. I've commented on some, but others I just didn't think it would matter or I just thought I would find the right time to buy it.

Below I go off on a self serving proposition.

I do believe the "new" wave do appreciate the jackets. Money is a valued form of appreciation, ownership can be many things. The more hunters, the more game.

My size and My lack of funds turned out to be in a couple of folks favor. And size was only an excuse, I may be knocking on some doors soon. I've seen a couple that I would like to hang around with.

You, are the new Hunters.

I hope you are reading this.

And now to try and take advantage of your youth and enthusiasm. I quite serious. It just came to me tonight. No I'm not on anything, but life.

Soon, very soon, hopefully...I will be able to provide funding for finds, I like that Funding for Finds! You find em, and I buy em! I've seen too many post of jackets that, at least, I would have paid for, but I didn't see them.

The Above is not BS. I will move those details to the classifieds.

Nacho

Practically Family
Do you guys think the Wards/Cats-eyes jacket could be made by Los Angeles Sportogs Company? Based on the way the vertical tag that is sewn to the label tag?

View attachment 549148

Cuffs too. Many other brands has those cuffs but it seems most of the LASC jackets came with those angular American cuffs with buttons. I love the cats eye design, or any symmetry design for that matter. Was sorting through my photos last night and it might be the booze talking but I made this assumption connection.
I Have had the same question regarding the label and the Maker of the cat eye. I originally thought California sports wear because of this stitching on the lapel fold. View attachment 549862

I have one in black and brown period I originally thought the black 1 was made by Seattle woollen. It has no tag . The horse hide tag on my Brown one is not associated with California sports Ware, which I have questioned.

Here is a Californian horsehide tag on the same Ward's label. View attachment 549863 If csc were the maker it would have this label.

I tried to recall where I had seen the ribbon tag like the LA Sportogs. You may have found it

I have this LA Sports Tog half belt and I've been studying it for a while now. I look at its design (mainly the cuffs and back) and I know that I've seen it somewhere. I searched hard, but my brain couldn't find it.

A few days ago, while I was scrolling through my IG feed, I came across this post from a Japanese vintage store and things finally clicked.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3ggV7VPh8H/?img_index=1

The jacket in the post is a Montgomery Ward aviator aka Cat's Eyes as dubbed by Terry. When I looked through the slides, I noticed that the cuffs and the back of it look exactly like my LA Sports Tog half belt's. I was excited and I also remembered somebody on here speculating that LA Sports Tog might be the maker of the Cat's Eyes instead of CSC.

I wasn't wrong.

It was Canuck Panda and Terry that had that same thought, but they didn't have enough evidence to back up that claim. So I think what I'm about to show below might be that nail in the coffin for this little mystery.

Windward Cat's Eyes cuffs (pics taken from a Japanese listing)

1694387523358.png

Mine's cuffs (notice the shape and the buttons)

tempImaget35lJx.jpg

tempImageI3N14w.jpg

Windward Cat's Eyes back

1694387548719.png

Mine's back

tempImagebFImqG.jpg

Windward Cat's Eyes label

1694387566899.png

Mine's label (notice the center fold of the lining, two stitches coming down from the neck line to the sides of the label, and the absence of stitching at the top. Sheesh! Even the buildings and the palm trees kinda look similar. Isn’t that Stanford U???)

tempImage5vi0fz.jpg

EDIT: *in addition to (not instead of)

IMG_6236.jpeg

IMG_6237.jpeg

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have this LA Sports Tog half belt and I've been studying it for a while now. I look at its design (mainly the cuffs and back) and I know that I've seen it somewhere. I searched hard, but my brain couldn't find it.

A few days ago, while I was scrolling through my IG feed, I came across this post from a Japanese vintage store and things finally clicked.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3ggV7VPh8H/?img_index=1

The jacket in the post is a Montgomery Ward aviator aka Cat's Eyes as dubbed by Terry. When I looked through the slides, I noticed that the cuffs and the back of it look exactly like my LA Sports Tog half belt's. I was excited and I also remembered somebody on here speculating that LA Sports Tog might be the maker of the Cat's Eyes instead of CSC.

I wasn't wrong.

It was Canuck Panda and Terry that had that same thought, but they didn't have enough evidence to back up that claim. So I think what I'm about to show below might be that nail in the coffin for this little mystery.

Windward Cat's Eyes cuffs (pics taken from a Japanese listing)

View attachment 592805

Mine's cuffs (notice the shape and the buttons)

View attachment 592806
View attachment 592807

Windward Cat's Eyes back

View attachment 592808

Mine's back

View attachment 592809

Windward Cat's Eyes label

View attachment 592810

Mine's label (notice the center fold of the lining, two stitches coming down from the neck line to the sides of the label, and the absence of stitching at the top)

View attachment 592811
Great find. Congrats! LASC had some really interesting designs. I've always really liked this "cat's eyes" sports jacket. Very classy.

Nacho

Practically Family

Thanks, Marc.

Yeah, you're right. Even the cuffs and the collar too. The collar on the LASC is just way cooler though.

I think Terry has the two versions if I'm not mistaken.

Cool jacket design nonetheless.

Nacho

Practically Family
I have one black and one brown with the MW label and leather ribbon. They are the same jacket, but the black does not have any labels.

I do not have a CSC jacket in this style.

I see. For some reasons, I always thought you have the two different jackets with the same style.

So you have three LA Sports Tog jackets now, hey? The ladies capeskin and these two Cat’s Eyes.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I see. For some reasons, I always thought you have the two different jackets with the same style.

So you have three LA Sports Tog jackets now, hey? The ladies capeskin and these two Cat’s Eyes.

I have the 2 Cat's Eye; one brown one black. The Cat's Eye jacket are the same, one with no labels.

The ladies Capeskin

LA Togs, vest

LA togs suede car coat

jeo

One Too Many
Another yes on Block. They did a lot of jackets in Goatskin, also made jackets for retail/store labels. Block was advertised nation wide.

They made jackets with a flair. Note the recent Block worn by @Marc mndt They worked in all materials. They probably made jackets for Levi Strauss. That is my hunch. I was also told Levi did use other suppliers for some of their leather jackets. Levi was pretty busy making other things.

Another Strongbilt. No picture of the back unfortunately.

IMG_7376.jpeg

Old photo of a zippered version.

IMG_7377.jpeg

Nacho

Practically Family
Nice chocolate brown Windward aviator, with a piping across the back and wartime Talon. Don't think it had any buttons at the cuffs. Couldn't see any button imprints there. Or they were possibly removed at some point. The collar are kinda lame-ass.

windward_1.jpg

windward_2.jpg

windward_3.jpg

windward_4.jpg

windward_5.jpg

Then this dog-turd brown gets thrown in the mix. Similar front except the buttons. Also the back is different as well. The Talon looks to be pre-war. Horrendous colour, but the collars are way cooler on this dude.

windward_6.jpg

windward_7.jpg

windward_8.jpg

windward_9.jpg

Terry does have a black version of the above, but there is no side buckles for adjustment at the half belt.

These dudes are quite rare. You don't see a lot of them in the wild. Cool aviator for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner