Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage trains

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Derailment , Dewitt County Texas 1905
train%20derailment%201905_zpszyyhlrup.jpg

Warden

One Too Many
I saw a mention earlier in this thread about John Betjeman.

He did a cracking railway TV programme in the late 1960s called Branch Line. I recently found it on YouTube

[video=youtube;dDrQkg8lOGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDrQkg8lOGc[/video]

Warden, thank you for posting - that was fun. Very British 1960s. Also, he was prescient in his statement that we would return to trains in that, at least in some part of the world and even in car-loving-USA, passenger rail travel is coming back a bit (via high speed for long distance and light-rail for intra-city). If we put gov't funding for rails (in the USA) on equal footing with cars and planes (the infrastructure of both is heavily subsidies by gov't), rails would have a chance to compete.

Warden

One Too Many
Sadly that is true on this side of the pond, if railways had the investment roads had the world would be a better place.

Sadly the line featured was closed a few years later and is now no more.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I keep forgetting to post this painting, called Saboteur by David Uhl. While the premise of the painting is totally fiction, the event it was based on is true!
cb124502-fa97-4df2-924c-b352e1647fdf_zpsylfo8boz.jpg
Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895_zpsdycobhjx.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
And here is a fictional short about the above accident. There was no boy on the track, but it makes a great little plot twist! [video=youtube;m3EZr4VOPkQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3EZr4VOPkQ[/video]

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I recently got to check something off our bucket list. We spent a night in this resort that had old refurbished cabooses as hotel rooms.

IMG_0273.jpg

This was our "room" with a picnic table right outside:

IMG_0277.jpg

There were some cool old antique train items:

IMG_0271.jpg

This was the dining car:

IMG_0292.jpg

and on the inside, a nice restaurant:

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0285_1.jpg

the lamp at our table had a cool touch:
IMG_0286_1.jpg

"our place:"

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Blackthorn, fantastic, thank you for posting so many pictures - looks like an great time. While the dinning car captured a very train vintage vibe, it's a shame they didn't do more to capture / echo / recreate the look and feel of the old sleepers (with a nod to modern necessities and sensitivities) in your room.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn, fantastic, thank you for posting so many pictures - looks like an great time. While the dinning car captured a very train vintage vibe, it's a shame they didn't do more to capture / echo / recreate the look and feel of the old sleepers (with a nod to modern necessities and sensitivities) in your room.

I had the same thought, FF.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
So, show of hands, how many of you would love to have a caboose in your back yard? I have both hands up! Now that I think about it, I have been watching the show Tiny Houses, exactly how many square feet is the interior of the average caboose?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
So, show of hands, how many of you would love to have a caboose in your back yard? I have both hands up! Now that I think about it, I have been watching the show Tiny Houses, exactly how many square feet is the interior of the average caboose?
I don't know but I'm sure there is info somewhere on the Net. One thing for sure, I have lived in far smaller and worse places.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Stearmen, To Blackthorn I suggested a trip on the Orient Express, for you, not a Caboose, but a complete railway station. This link: Stearmen's dream, will take you to images of a former railway station. The couple bought it when it was derelict following closure of the line, they painstakingly restored it, adding a signalbox and a rail carriage. It's hard to tell from the photos if the carriage is a former 'sleeper car,' or just a seat filled commuter. All the same, it's worth putting both hands up for.
Scroll down the many photos, you will see pictures of it's former years, pictures of it's dereliction and how the couple put it to use today.

My wife and I went to a wedding there some years ago. The bride wanted the guests all dressed up 40's style: Spitfire pilot, ARP warden, Police Officer in vintage tunic, we all gave it our best shot. And the day before, the station owners laboriously stuck tape over all the station and signalbox windows, crisscrossed, as they did in wartime.

If ever Blackthorn wins the lottery, and he's generous enough to share a few shekels with you, come on over and see for yourself. In fact, I'll take you there in style:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I saw that on TV a few years back. A lot of work to bring it back! I would still rather have an old Fire Station, but, if you could find an old round house, that would do nicely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner