Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Water Based Pomades vs Petroleum Based

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I'm a big fan of the traditional short back and sides with a longer top and perfectly slicked side part. Lately I have been experimenting with more water based products to give my scalp a break. The only problem is they tend to dry out if recombed or even as the day wears on even if not recombed and I just keep going back to petroleum based to get the all day shine and the recombability without my hair turning hard. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Dr. Rubins pomade (petroleum-based), anybody tried it? or have any tips for making water based products work?

Hepville

One of the Regulars
I´m using Layrite or Cock grease. You´re right... they dry out and get hard. If you want to recomb you can wet your comb a bit... that makes it easier. You can also mix your water based stuff up with a soft traditional pomade for the shine (I use the red Royal Crown for this). That´ll make it more flexible.
But beside that: It will never be the same as using a traditional pomade. But for me that´s okay as I like the plus to easily wash out the stuff if I want it.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I use dapperman pomade, great shine, medium hold, doesn't stain and it's easy to re-comb to another style after a few hours. Not the cheapest brand out there, but I wouldn't consider using anything else. Petrolum ain't good for your hair & scalp, so I'm going to stick with this pomade with natural ingredients only.

tealseal

A-List Customer
I use dapperman pomade, great shine, medium hold, doesn't stain and it's easy to re-comb to another style after a few hours. Not the cheapest brand out there, but I wouldn't consider using anything else. Petrolum ain't good for your hair & scalp, so I'm going to stick with this pomade with natural ingredients only.
It's only recently that I've decided to try a pomade. My issue has been that with my thick, thick hair, I need something to hold my hair so my hats don't muss it up! I can't cut it short, because with the heat we have down here, I end up looking like a frizzy Chia pet. lol
I found a jar of Tres Flores Brilliantine at the local Wally's, and it seems to do the trick (I put it on once a week, then use Groom&Clean the rest of the days), but I'm not sure I'm a fan of the petroleum.
I've heard of this Dapperman stuff before, but would like to know more. Where does one get it, does it rinse out or do you need to wash, what's the competition?

Thanks again, FL, for the knowledge base that improves my day! :)

RichardH

One of the Regulars
It's only recently that I've decided to try a pomade. My issue has been that with my thick, thick hair, I need something to hold my hair so my hats don't muss it up! I can't cut it short, because with the heat we have down here, I end up looking like a frizzy Chia pet. lol
I found a jar of Tres Flores Brilliantine at the local Wally's, and it seems to do the trick (I put it on once a week, then use Groom&Clean the rest of the days), but I'm not sure I'm a fan of the petroleum.
I've heard of this Dapperman stuff before, but would like to know more. Where does one get it, does it rinse out or do you need to wash, what's the competition?

Thanks again, FL, for the knowledge base that improves my day! :)
You can get it on dappermanvintage.com or their ebay store. I have curly hair (like Will Smith) but I have it chemically straightened though. It works pretty well for me, even though my hair is pretty thick (I sometimes used Schmiere hardt/knuppelhardt to tame the sides and back, but I think cutting it a bit shorter on the sides and back will help.) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR