Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

VoodooSan

A-List Customer
I’ve had this Smithbilt 4-dent Peak since at least 2005, and I've worn it probably more often than any other hat, when cowboy shooting. None of its current condition/appearance is the result of artificial distressing; all the wear and tear visible came from long and frequent wearings, most of them in hot environments.

Special shout out to @Steve1857 for helping me finally identify its maker.

2020-08-09 OTRR crop 2.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I’ve had this Smithbilt 4-dent Peak since at least 2005, and I've worn it probably more often than any other hat, when cowboy shooting. None of its current condition/appearance is the result of artificial distressing; all the wear and tear visible came from long and frequent wearings, most of them in hot environments.

Special shout out to @Steve1857 for helping me finally identify its maker.

View attachment 601727
You're welcome, Mark. It's certainly a great looking Western despite the wear and tear; or maybe because of it.

Great scarf again, too.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Just picked up from the mailbox 20 ago, courtesy of a KILLER deal offered to me by Bill #wsmontana. A slightly cut-down Resistol Calgary, in mink. I think this falls into the "western fedora" category, and I think it's freaking awesome. (Also just made an appearance in the Daily thread). View attachment 601782 View attachment 601783
Looks awesome Mark! I love all your big westerns but this is a great style for you as well. Be careful, this could be a gateway hat to fedoras. ;-)

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
A reposting of this Western Custom built by yours truly. The felt is Carbon Steel from Millenary Warehouse. The open crown is 6 inches creased to a Cattleman with a 3 1/2 inch wide curled brim. I really like the old style Westerns, but lately I've been drawn to the modern styles too. I've been getting my inspiration for these from some of the hat styles worn by various Texas law enforcement officers.
Carbon-Steel-Western-Project-3-A.jpg
IMG-20231106-182019384.jpg
IMG-20231106-181925169.jpg
IMG-20231106-181757330.jpg
IMG-20231106-181729087.jpg

Not a hat, but two hat ornaments I found recently......both marked "Sterling". 50's Stetsons hat clips...the Stetson "Sheriff", given out with the Stetson Twenty-Five and a Stetson "Longhorn" clip for the Stetson Longhorn model (a really nice 3X 6 cord). Both pins are hard to find away from a hat.......people just do not know what they are.
1711403718724.jpeg

My second Longhorn clip (my other came with my Longhorn Hat).
My Stetson Longhorn...
1711403794011.jpeg
1711403806119.jpeg

I now have 3 of the Stetson Sheriff clips.......one came with a mid-late 50's Twenty Five OR....
My Twenty-Five OR.....
1711404024249.png
1711404054856.png

I have been lucky to acquire these clips.....;)

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
Thanks but it’s all the work of an app converting a pic.

The hat is an Akubra Territory I made to look like a planters hat. David Carradine wore something similar in the movie but his was a BE brim turned down. A few yrs ago a planters hat owned by a CSA General & worn thru the war came up for auction. It ultimately ended up being won by a museum. I sort of modeled mine somewhat like it.

View attachment 594625
Jack - Here's one that you might like from The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City.
HJ.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I haven't posted enough in this thread. Let see if I can touch at least a few of the recent bases.....

For Brent, a Knudsen "Maverick"
View attachment 600993

For Thundercolt, in solidarity of costuming (mine being for SASS competitions)

View attachment 600994

And a trio for all the big-brim aficionados

View attachment 600995 View attachment 600996 View attachment 600997
Hi, on the brown ensemble, what color is the hat and what color is the wool? I have a charcoal gray hat that matches Richmond Gray and I plan on getting a matched set.

VoodooSan

A-List Customer
Mike are you talking about this?

U2019-03-24 TRP crop .jpg

If so, the hat is by Mustang Mike, who's currently not making hats anymore. He termed this color "Whiskey" and the suit coat is from Historical Emporium; it's their Sable Brushed Cotton Frock Coat. I just checked, and it looks like they have a pretty wide selection of frock coats in gray: https://www.historicalemporium.com/store/mens-coats.php?&color=Gray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner