Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Got some of the Beatles remastered CDs (Sgt Pepper, Past Masters, and Hard Days Night) and they bumped my listening of "Bing With A Beat," probably one of Bing Crosby's last great album.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Some extraordinary Sax music. The history in the CD's tells me that there was a period in the US when Saxophone based bands were very popular, These guys really do Saxophones right and it really shows why this music was so loved.
:eek: ??!! How is it you love this stuff so much and you don't even play sax? Unpossible! lol

1424_5131.jpg

You'll want to know about The Transatlantic Saxtette then. (I'm one of the "Englishmen" on the date.)

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Vera Lynn Tops The Pops

At 92, Vera Lynn has the No. 1 selling record in Britain with her Greatest Hits compilation, beating out the Arctic Monkeys and even the Beatles remastered discs. The legendary singer who kept up the spirits of millions of soldiers during World War II, first recorded her legendary song "We'll Meet Again" in September 1939, just as war broke out.

The is quite an amazing feat since the previous not-so "older artists" to top the charts in the UK were Bob Dylan and Neil Diamond. Way to go Dame Vera! :eusa_clap

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8254000/8254088.stm?loc=interstitialskip

Vera%20Lynn%20Pack%203.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to rouse from a lingering torpor by --

Leading off in 1934 with Rudy Vallee and his Connecticut Yankees and "The Drunkard Song," aka "There Is A Tavern In The Town." This is the version where Rudy cracks up at the silliness of the neo-Gay-90s arrangement and begins giggling uncontrollably thru the rest of the record. And they said he was a cold-blooded flinty Mainer with no sense of humor.

Next up, from 1932, Ray Noble and his Orchestra, with a dandy Al Bowlly vocal on another mock-melodramatic tune, "And So I Married The Girl." For some reason they left out the best chorus, the one where Papa's shotgun is unfurled, "and so I married the girl!"

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Ted Weems -- Collegiate Love

One of the aspects of the collegiate lifestyle the lyrics of this song focus on is droppy socks. Which reminded me of Groucho's reaction in ANIMAL CRACKERS when art expert (and former fish monger) Roscoe W. Chandler discovers he's without garters (they were stolen by Harpo) -- Groucho responds with disdain, "Turning collegiate on me, eh?"

I guess the discarding of sock garters by the youth of the late '20s caused quite the societal disruption.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The Boston Pops Orchestra - "The Colonel Bogey March".

All together now...

Hitler, he only had one ball,
Goering, he had two but very small,
Himmler had something simmler,
But poor old Goebbels had no balls at all.

Frankfurt has only one beer hall,
Stuttgart, die München all on call,
Munich, vee lift our tunich,
To show vee 'Cherman' have no balls at all.

Hans Otto is very short, not tall,
And blotto, for drinking Singhai and Skol.
A 'Cherman', unlike Bruce Erwin,
Because Hans Otto has no balls at all.

Hitler has only got one ball,
The other is in the Albert Hall.
His mother, the dirty bugger,
Cut it off when he was small.

She tied it upon a conker tree,
The wind came and blew it out to sea,
The fishes got out their dishes,
And had scallops and bollocks for tea!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The New York Philharmonic under its new head man, 41yo Alan Gilbert, with Renée Fleming singing Olivier Messiaen's 1936 Poèmes pour Mi. It's a wild, affecting, religiously-themed modernist song cycle (Messiaen was devoutly Catholic) in 9 brief movements. The title dedicated it to his wife; the text celebrates marriage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner