Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Elaina

One Too Many
lol but I doubt anyone would want to read about the serial romances I seem to devour. Besides all that, I have such a strange taste in books (which just means, I read so much I get them as cheap as possible, therefore I can't be too picky) that the last time I did that for a week, I got asked why I wasn't sharing my drugs with them. Which I don't know why, nothing is wrong with gun history, Tom Clancy, Tolkien, Asimov, Homer, Du Maurier, every category romance from a major line for the month of April in '89, paranormal investigations....you get the idea.

Today I read a category romance from '93, finished up the Hobbit (I started it yesterday), 3 kids books from the Magic Treehouse series, The Regulators (finished from yesterday), and just started reading the freshman effort by a friend of mine, so he can wrangle me into reading some work to critique. I'll probably finish that in a few hours. After that...I need to go to the store.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Harp said:
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi is good. My copy is around
here someplace....:)

That is a really good one! Picked it up on a whim, and took about six months to get to it, but I'm so Glad I did!:D

Lancealot

Practically Family
carebear said:
Just finished "The Sword and the Centuries" by Alfred Hutton. Not a sword manual but a selection of different duels showing the evolution of weapons and technique.

I tell you what, life might have been bloodier up until the first half of the 19th century but people sure had reason to be polite.

Great book and good point the thought of loss of life or limb, defintely makes one be more polite.

Lancealot

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I have heard great things about the Dresden Files and intend on getting some out of the library. I coincidentally recently bought the first of Jim Butcher's fantasy series without realising it was by the ame guy so 'm not sure what it will be like.

I just finished Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker and am about to start the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I am rediscovering my inner epic fantasy nerd.

I love Butcher's work. The Dresden Files are top notch and The Codex Aleria (the fantasy series) is rather good too. He stated in an article I read that Tolkien is what made him want to start writing. I think that really shows in the fantasy series.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Royal Survivor

It's about King Charles II. I have had the book for a while and have now finally found time to start it!!

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Mr. Lincoln's T-Mails
Tom Wheeler

The untold story of how Abraham Lincoln used the telegraph to win the Civil War. The Civil War was the first "modern war." Abraham Lincoln became president of a divided nation during a period of both technological and social revolution. Among the many modern marvels was the telegraph, which Lincoln used to stay connected to the forces in the field in almost real time. No leader in history had ever possessed such a powerful tool. As a result Lincoln had to learn for himself how to use the power of electronic messages. Without precedent to guide him, Lincoln developed his own model of electronic communications -- an approach that echoes today in our use of email.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I went out a couple of days ago for some new books, and picked up Hannibal Rising, by Thomas Harris, it's not in my usual taste range but something possessed me[huh]
I'll post about how it is when I get the chance to sit down and read it.:)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As part of my current "read it and get it out of the house" plan I just reread all my "Sandman" graphic novels (Neil Gaiman).

Wow, that boy is a writer.

Salv

One Too Many
carebear said:
As part of my current "read it and get it out of the house" plan I just reread all my "Sandman" graphic novels (Neil Gaiman).

Wow, that boy is a writer.

American Gods is excellent, and Anansi Boys was good as well, but Neverwhere is my favourite of his books, possibly because of the familiar London settings.

carebear

Salv said:
American Gods is excellent, and Anansi Boys was good as well, but Neverwhere is my favourite of his books, possibly because of the familiar London settings.

Well yeah, but these ones have pictures... :D

Salv

One Too Many
carebear said:
Well yeah, but these ones have pictures... :D

Nooooo ... pictures too scary ...

dreamdeath.gif

carebear

Fleur De Guerre said:
Did you see the BBC adaptation of Neverwhere? God I hate the BBC! I hope they make it into a film or something because it did not do the book justice!

No. And I suppose I'm glad.

Gaiman is so visual in his writing it would seem hard to mess up.

Salv

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Did you see the BBC adaptation of Neverwhere? God I hate the BBC! I hope they make it into a film or something because it did not do the book justice!

I missed it as well, but it would need a really huge budget to be done right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran