Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Kinda same as the other day, but in stead of pants, I wore the shirt with a purple woolen pencil skirt... The shirt is my favorite at the moment so I wear it all the time.

2376849391_2096303873_o.jpg

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
One of Green Bay's last reputable men's clothiers, The Haberdasher, has been holding a "going out of business" sale (now in its "final week," but who knows?). Last week I picked up two sportcoats, two pair of dress trousers, and one pair of Pantherella socks for a mere $200.00 (I used my bargaining skills). First fruit of that purchase on display today, top item:

Bill Kaiserman rough-textured SB 3B ventless brown sportcoat with tan and black windowpanes, 85% baby alpaca/10% silk/5% nylon ($60.00!!)
Jos. A. Bank British tan cuffed trousers (borrowed from full suit)
Enro light blue point collar shirt
Cape Cod brown/cream patterned tie
Gold collar safety pin
Vintage brass tie slide with mother-of-pearl sailboat
Brown silk pocket square, puff fold
Lemon-colored carnation, right lapel
Brown leather dress belt with silver buckle, vertical score lines
Lorus watch with tan band (right wrist)
Polished stainless steel link bracelet (left wrist)
Armani Mania cologne
Sand-colored patterned OTC socks
Brown suede snaffle-bit loafers
Scala dark brown fedora with matching leather band, "Scala" pin
Burberry olive trenchcoat with tan wool collar, at the ready (supposed to rain)
LL Bean 5-eyelet duck boots, brown uppers, also at the ready
Nike green/black umbrella, ditto

Marty M.

Vendor
Patrick Murtha said:
One of Green Bay's last reputable men's clothiers, The Haberdasher, has been holding a "going out of business" sale (now in its "final week," but who knows?).

PM, is that the store owned by Steve (Van Vuren. Not sure if last name is correct)?
Marty Mathis

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Marty M. said:
PM, is that the store owned by Steve (Van Vuren. Not sure if last name is correct)?
Marty Mathis

Van Buren, yes. Apparently, he plans to replace the store with a "by appointment only" custom shop; hoever, between you and me and the lamp-post, I think the prospects for such a venture in Green Bay are even worse than the continued prospects for his current store. When I arrived in Green Bay six years ago, C.A. Gross and The Haberdasher were the two upper-end men's stores; now both are gone, leaving the Northeast Wisconsin market to Jason Louis in Green Bay (run by younger and I think savvier guys); Zegers in De Pere; and Bill Paul in Neenah. No independent men's clothiers left in Appleton, oddly (after Bill Paul closed his clearance store there).

To clear up the geography for everyone, De Pere is next to Green Bay; Appleton (close to Green Bay in population) is 25 miles SW of Green Bay; and Neenah is next to Appleton.

Marty M.

Vendor
Such a shame?

Patrick Murtha said:
Van Buren, yes. Apparently, he plans to replace the store with a "by appointment only" custom shop; hoever, between you and me and the lamp-post, I think the prospects for such a venture in Green Bay are even worse than the continued prospects for his current store. When I arrived in Green Bay six years ago, C.A. Gross and The Haberdasher were the two upper-end men's stores; now both are gone, leaving the Northeast Wisconsin market to Jason Louis in Green Bay (run by younger and I think savvier guys); Zegers in De Pere; and Bill Paul in Neenah. No independent men's clothiers left in Appleton, oddly (after Bill Paul closed his clearance store there).

Steve's a good guy. But, I do agree with you on the prospect of success in his Custom shop. I don't think that Steve realizes the difference between a Made to Measure business, and a retail store. I don't think that he's gonna work that hard and long on the new venture.
I'd be interested to know what the so called reasons that these stores (above mentioned) went out of business over. We Retailer's always tend to blame customer loyalty and/or consumer shopping patterns changing. To be honest, most Retailers don't deserve customer loyalty and they don't change with the times or their customers. Therefore they deserve to go out of business. Sorry, I'm on a soapbox :eek: .
Marty Mathis

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Marty M. said:
Steve's a good guy. But, I do agree with you on the prospect of success in his Custom shop. I don't think that Steve realizes the difference between a Made to Measure business, and a retail store. I don't think that he's gonna work that hard and long on the new venture.
I'd be interested to know what the so called reasons that these stores (above mentioned) went out of business over. We Retailer's always tend to blame customer loyalty and/or consumer shopping patterns changing. To be honest, most Retailers don't deserve customer loyalty and they don't change with the times or their customers. Therefore they deserve to go out of business. Sorry, I'm on a soapbox :eek: .
Marty Mathis

I came in on the tail end of these stores' history, so I'm just not sure what went on. There really aren't that many higher-end buyers in Northeast Wisconsin; as I've mentioned before, many CEOs here do most of their shopping at Jos. A. Bank. So a high-end retailer in this market needs exceptional loyalty. The two young guys at Jason Louis seem to have a following these days; I'm not sure about Don Zegers in De Pere, although he's a real nice fellow. Bill Paul doesn't have much if anything to do with the running of his eponymous store nowadays. All these stores are vulnerable, with Zegers the most so. It would be sad to have none.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
a bit of an odd outfit today, but people seemed to like it.
IMG_4621.jpg

green french cuff shirt
curling cufflinks
borsalino
ralph lauren vest
brown jacket with gills
black pants
white bucks
watch chain
bow tie

alexandra

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
Kinda same as the other day, but in stead of pants, I wore the shirt with a purple woolen pencil skirt... The shirt is my favorite at the moment so I wear it all the time.

2376849391_2096303873_o.jpg

I adore that shirt. People should never underestimate a blouse and shirt combo.

Fifties*Freak

Familiar Face
This is my first time posting here, I usually just hang out on the hair thread. I have to show off my "new" Lilli Ann suit! This was actually yesterday for the evening church service.

Picture6023a.jpg

playbelle

New in Town
Dinerman said:
a bit of an odd outfit today, but people seemed to like it.
IMG_4621.jpg
I love those creamy colours. I wish more men were brave enough to wear colours usually not found in typical men's attire.

Fifties*Freak said:
This is my first time posting here, I usually just hang out on the hair thread. I have to show off my "new" Lilli Ann suit! This was actually yesterday for the evening church service.

Picture6023a.jpg
You look adorable!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yesterday's 'yesteryear' wear.

(I'll let Lola describe her attire in the studio lot of 'Atonement!' Over to YOU, Miss Lola Valentine :eusa_clap ).

ME: 1940's dark blue with light blue and white stripe Montague Burton suit (English). Black half cap brogues (shoes). 1940's American tie. Collar bar. Long spear tipped collar shirt. Irish Linen pocket square in a Sydney Opera House four sails style. Pre-war (WWII) vintage American flag lapel broach. Henry the Hatter of Ma. Beaver fedora. Think 'That's All Folks!!'

KELSOFL005.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Fifties*Freak said:

Picture6023a.jpg

You look great FF, and a Lilli Ann suit! It's always great to see a Lilli Ann.

Paddy and Lola--did you call each other before going out? You two match beautifully! Both of you look great; your shoes are most excellent Lola.

Antje

One Too Many
PADDY said:
(I'll let Lola describe her attire in the studio lot of 'Atonement!' Over to YOU, Miss Lola Valentine :eusa_clap ).

ME: 1940's dark blue with light blue and white stripe Montague Burton suit (English). Black half cap brogues (shoes). 1940's American tie. Collar bar. Long spear tipped collar shirt. Irish Linen pocket square in a Sydney Opera House four sails style. Pre-war (WWII) vintage American flag lapel broach. Henry the Hatter of Ma. Beaver fedora. Think 'That's All Folks!!'

KELSOFL005.jpg

cool you both look great,
love the skirt

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
We're starting "Dress for Success" month at my company (a cancer fund-raiser), so there are actually some other guys in suits and ties today. Refreshing.

Navy pinstripe SB 2B single-vent suit (two shades of stripe)
Brooks Bros. navy/white stripe point collar shirt
Jos. A. Bank yellow-gold tie with navy and white rep stripes
Slender gold tie bar, angled down
Navy patterned silk pocket square, puff fold
Trafalgar burnished gold/light blue patterned silk braces
Waterman red marble gold-capped ballpoint pen, shirt breast pocket
Fossil watch with gold/silver band (right wrist)
Polished stainless steel link bracelet (left wrist)
Burberry cologne
Jos. A. Bank navy patterned OTC socks
Mezlan spectator bicycle-toe laceups in black calf and black deerskin
Burberry olive trenchcoat with tan wool collar
Vintage Dobbs navy fedora with black band
Fresh haircut, short and sharp

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:

KELSOFL005.jpg

you both look stunning, if this pic was in balck & white, i'd swear it was taken on a 1940's movie set (maby casablanca ? paddy's sure got that bogie look ;) ) :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara