Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Had a lovely day out in Tulsa, but with a few strange encounters. Nothing I'm wearing is vintage, nor out of the ordinary (well, they're stockings on my legs, not tights, but no one would know that as I wasn't flashing my garters to the general public.) The skirt is a brand new birthday gift, from Target, in fact.
So, at Banana Republic, a salesgirl asked if I was dressed up for a specific reason. I said no, and didn't feel like going into a spiel about just wearing my clothes, leave me alone.
At the vintage show, a woman came up to us, and I think she actually addressed my husband rather than me, saying something about how most people couldn't 'get away' with what I'm wearing, but I could, and wasn't it lovely, or something like that. I know she meant well, and I accepted her compliment graciously, with a smile, but the idea that I was 'getting away' with something, rather like committing a crime that most people would face a penalty for!?.....
The snarky voice in my head wanted to say something about how many, many people dress in ways they shouldn't be allowed to get away with at all, but I repressed it.
What kind of world do we live in, in which a woman wears a blouse and a skirt, & draws such comments from strangers?
A couple other people made similar remarks before we found our way out of Tulsa.
4085077852_ff0034a20a_b.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
People are absolutely bizarre...I got the "like your costume" comment the other day when wearing high waist wide trousers with a cropped puff sleeve cardi with ties at the front. All modern too! God knows what they are thinking when I am wearing something more interesting than that or truly vintage. But I have a look in my eyes that, when summoned, will make people's words die on their lips...lol

McFarlaneNYC

Familiar Face
Bugsy said:
Do you often work in the theatre?

I have worked with the New Generation Theatre Ensemble in the past and usually volunteer my time and antique collection for the Fall and Spring Seasons of my Schools Drama Department.

Bugsy

One Too Many
McFarlaneNYC said:
I have worked with the New Generation Theatre Ensemble in the past and usually volunteer my time and antique collection for the Fall and Spring Seasons of my Schools Drama Department.

Very interesting. I have my degree in theatre specializing in directing. We should chat more.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Not today, but a few days ago.

Trying on trousers for a new bespoke suit, to get the complete look I took one of my vintage 1940s ties, and my new bespoke spectators!

377333952.jpg

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Not daily clothes but

My U. Med School 35th anniversary reunion was last Saturday.
Three of the ten women in our class showed up in kimonos, so here I am, before heading out.
09JK35FrontW.jpg
09JK35Back3W.jpg

Hand drawn sumi-e, ink and wash painting landscape motif kimono with a boat moored by the river motif Nishjin-ori brocade obi.
Kimono and obi coordination is often chosen to present a theme. In this case, the common theme is the river, the landscape being mountain cliffs and river, with the riverside boat.
Right sleeve--front.
09JK35RtSleeveBW.jpg

Left sleeve--back.
09JK35LtSleeveFW.jpg

Right back to side panel.
09JK35BackHemRtW.jpg

Left back to side panel.
09JK35BackHemLtW.jpg

Front.
09JK35FrontHemW.jpg

Obi front. This obi was orginally my aunt's, which she gave this to me last year.
09JK35ObiFrontW.jpg

Obi back.
09NovJK35ObiBackW.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace