Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
Linen all around today.

me003.jpg

me004.jpg

Veeeery nice! The crease in that hat is just fabulous! Great overall look!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
In vintage military for Memorial Day Ceremonies

All of us are part of a local group called BAWMHRS (Bay Area Womens and Mens Historical Representation Society), and the group was asked to participate once again, as part of the Memorial Day Ceremonies at the Presidio in San Francisco- coming in our period vintage uniforms. The Ceremonies took place on part of the cemetery grounds.

Saturday, as a lark -I tried on some uniform pieces of an extensive ladies military uniform collection I was recently given. Most of it is small sizes, so I was really looking to outfit my teenage daughter. Amazingly, I found a near complete post-WWII Air Force 3 piece uniform and matching heavy wool coat that fit me perfectly. Was told by a member of our group that the buttons on the jacket and coat ID these as being of the transitional period, right after WWII-1947. Missing the silver U.S. insignia for the collar lapels, and worked with a borrowed black tie and RAF garrison cap to fill in the rest of the outfit at the last moment. Those items will be procured very soon!

Son Daniel (almost 14yo) was given an incredible gift by a member of BAWMHRS, a complete post-WWII Civil Air Patrol Cadet uniform. I marched in behind him for the group's processional up to the podium area. Marching in step with a group was harder than I expected!
387948446.jpg

387948437.jpg

387948417.jpg

387948430.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
CAP

chanteuseCarey said:
Son Daniel (almost 14yo) was given an incredible gift by a member of BAWMHRS, a complete post-WWII Civil Air Patrol Cadet uniform. I marched in behind him for the group's processional up to the podium area. Marching in step with a group was harder than I expected!
Love to see the CAP uniform! There is a great book called From Maine to Mexico: With America's Private Pilots in the Fight Against Nazi U-Boats, by Louis E. Keefer. Its the history of the WWII exploits of the CAP. Very brave pilots, taking of and landing with makeshift bomb racks. The crew flew an impressive 86,865 missions in a ragtag armada of small planes, 26 aircrews paid the ultimate price! There is a lot of debate on whether any U-boats were actually sunk by the CAP, they claimed 2, but it is known that they did cause the Captains to head for the cellar when they saw the planes, making them less effective. One U-boat Captain said that they pulled back from the coast, because of "those damned little red and yellow planes!"

SheBear74

Practically Family
Stearmen said:
Love to see the CAP uniform! There is a great book called From Maine to Mexico: With America's Private Pilots in the Fight Against Nazi U-Boats, by Louis E. Keefer. Its the history of the WWII exploits of the CAP. Very brave pilots, taking of and landing with makeshift bomb racks. The crew flew an impressive 86,865 missions in a ragtag armada of small planes, 26 aircrews paid the ultimate price! There is a lot of debate on whether any U-boats were actually sunk by the CAP, they claimed 2, but it is known that they did cause the Captains to head for the cellar when they saw the planes, making them less effective. One U-boat Captain said that they pulled back from the coast, because of "those damned little red and yellow planes!"

I will have to have my son read this! He is a cadet with the CAP here in Florida :)

MartyH

New in Town
Short-sleeved white shirt and dark narrow tie with straight end. I'd only have to add my Ray-Ban Wayfarer prescription glasses to look like I should be sitting at a console in Mission Control, Houston, Texas in mid- to late 1960s.
10075498.jpg

Nice feature of the pants: rubberized thread in the waistband, which keeps the shirt from riding up.

We have no dress code here at work (a university), ties are rare unless it's a thesis presentation or conference. I'll have to raise the bar a little, but not stray into "The IT Crowd" (a U.K. comedy series) territory.
richardayoade460.jpg

Richard Ayoade from The IT Crowd

I've gotten some off-handed / underhanded / single-handed compliments when I've been properly dressed.

I'm one of The Computer Guys, and I've found that by dressing right, you can dodge some manual labor. "uhm, I don't want to risk getting toner all over the white shirt, ask one of the others to fix the broken printer." or "Sorry, the tie would get in the way if I help install the new rack and uncrate the servers." Just keep the spare T-shirt and lab coat in the bottom drawer a secret from everybody except a select few.

Sunday June 6 is the National Day of Sweden, I'll probably wear a blue shirt and yellow bowtie, blue and yellow being the colors of the Swedish flag.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Another candid shot.

Navy blue dress with white buttons and accents and a navy hat.

Ever since I cut of most of my hait to the new and much shorter lenght, I find it much easier to wear hats!

27819_1136362106035_1736822132_2570.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
This picture's from two weeks ago because I only just found it. It was taken by a photographer who asked us for a photo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/benr1978/4635764961/sizes/o/

The difficulty on that day was to dress up and still be comfortable in the 26C heat. I also wanted to include something black as it was World Goth Day, but a black suit or even just trousers would have been too warm.

Please excuse the bad break in the trousers which is due to my very clumsy letting out of the cuffs.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
avedwards said:
This picture's from two weeks ago because I only just found it. It was taken by a photographer who asked us for a photo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/benr1978/4635764961/sizes/o/

The difficulty on that day was to dress up and still be comfortable in the 26C heat. I also wanted to include something black as it was World Goth Day, but a black suit or even just trousers would have been too warm.

Please excuse the bad break in the trousers which is due to my very clumsy letting out of the cuffs.

4635764961_34a9287900.jpg

I like it, you did well, and for some reason these two outfits go well together...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
djgo-cat-go said:
I like it, you did well, and for some reason these two outfits go well together...
Thank you. I sometimes try to stick to shades of black, grey and white to match my mol's colour scheme, though I personally like to keep the feathers and lace out of my outfits lol.

Also thank you for getting the picture onto this thread so it's more than just a link.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
:arated: The man's right!

I have to say it really took you some time to actually start posting some pics of yourself. Good thing you did! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Thank you very much. :D The only thing stopping me doing so sooner was my lack of camera. Plus I only post outfits which I consider worthy of being seen by the FL, so that I hopefully only aquire good comments.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday:

Grey tropical weight suit
Blue spotted Tootal tie
Deco snap links
Silk square
Black shoes
Straw boater

Despite the very lightweight suit, I was sweating profusely by the end of the day. Of course, I had to walk two miles to the bus stop, which didn't help, but even so it was too warm. Acutally, anything over 60F is way too warm.

Hal

Practically Family
Nick D said:
Of course, I had to walk two miles to the bus stop, which didn't help, but even so it was too warm. Acutally, anything over 60F is way too warm.
Delighted to find someone who shares my opinion on temperatures. If only we could have summer day-length with cool temperatures - 8C is ideal for walking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR