Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
What I wore to the Jazz Age Lawn Party.

1st day
'20s/'30s Linen Jacket
'30s tie
'80s/'90s slacks
remix cap toes
modern shirt
modern Capas cap
CIMG1722.jpg

2nd day
Early '40s sportcoat
'40s/'50s Panama hat
'30s tie
'80s/'90s slacks
modern shirt
modern Jos. Bank saddle shoes.
CIMG1746.jpg

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Yes, it might be the Jewish ancestry that I see.

Off topic, but...I thought that just about all the ancient Angles left Germany for Britain, leaving their former land barren. For that reason, I really wouldn't consider a modern "German" to be Anglo-Saxon, though I could be wrong.[huh]

The Roman Governors of Ancient Britain called on the Saxons as mercenaries to fight Scottish barbarians called Picts, whom they were having trouble defeating. Upon arrival to the Isles the Saxons were given Imperial Contracts promising small amounts of land etc. as reward for destroying the Picts. There was a very substantial garrison of Saxons in the Isles, the Saxon nobles knew this, and in turn knew that they could destroy Roman rule from the inside and gain the whole Island. So after they were done with the Picts, the went on a spree on barbaristic(word?:p), bloody, and widespread attacks on Roman villages... eventually Rome pulled out of Britain completely. The Saxons who came from only a part of Germany called Ancient Saxony http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Saxony and were now breeding and adapting and breeding and adapting until, a couple generations later they had formed a different race with a similar culture and were then called Anglo-Saxons. Does that help? :cool: England Buff here.

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Saturday night: worn to a live band social dance at the Crowne Plaza Cabana Hotel in Palo Alto, CA
lipstick pink satin pleated cocktail dress from Nordstrom. Worn with vintage fur stole, long gloves, gold heels, later changed out for nude dancing shoes. Nadri crystal pendant necklace, matching crystal teardrop earrings, from Nordstrom. Had my hair curled and piled up, the hairdresser called it something between a 40s and 60s hairdo! I walked up to check in for the dance, and asked the gentleman at the table, "Where is Dino, Frank and the rest of the Rat Pack?" The Mr. really liked my hair done up.

This is a very different style of dress for me, but its lots of fun! The very first time the Mr. saw me in this dress, he said "Oh, my god..."

These first pics were taken last night by my dd, and show the true color of the dress. When I walked in to the dance and the Mr. saw me he said "Wow! I should have brought my camera!" He told me as we were leaving the dance (Sat. evening) that "You look very beautiful tonight. You always look beautiful, but tonight you look ravishing." This afternoon (Sun.) he said, "Last night you looked exceedingly beautiful."
IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

Pics with the Mr. taken at the dance, sorry for the poor quality, but its what I have:
two happy dancers, we had a great time together there
IMG_1314.jpg

The Mr. loves to dip me when we dance, so we just had to strike a pose for the camera
IMG_1334.jpg

Too sweet- color me happy and content *sigh* We make a good looking couple!
Screenshot2011-08-21at65603PM.png

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The Roman Governors of Ancient Britain called on the Saxons as mercenaries to fight Scottish barbarians called Picts, whom they were having trouble defeating. Upon arrival to the Isles the Saxons were given Imperial Contracts promising small amounts of land etc. as reward for destroying the Picts. There was a very substantial garrison of Saxons in the Isles, the Saxon nobles knew this, and in turn knew that they could destroy Roman rule from the inside and gain the whole Island. So after they were done with the Picts, the went on a spree on barbaristic(word?:p), bloody, and widespread attacks on Roman villages... eventually Rome pulled out of Britain completely. The Saxons who came from only a part of Germany called Ancient Saxony http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Saxony and were now breeding and adapting and breeding and adapting until, a couple generations later they had formed a different race with a similar culture and were then called Anglo-Saxons. Does that help? :cool: England Buff here.

To a point (and thank you), but according to Bede, the Angles also came en masse from what is now Germany, leaving their former land empty. If so, then modern Germans are not really "Anglo," since the ancient Angles all left for Britannia. I suppose some more research on my part is needed. And now back to "What are you wearing today??"

TCMfan25

Practically Family
To a point (and thank you), but according to Bede, the Angles also came en masse from what is now Germany, leaving their former land empty. If so, then modern Germans are not really "Anglo," since the ancient Angles all left for Britannia. I suppose some more research on my part is needed. And now back to "What are you wearing today??"
The Angles were not the only Germanic tribe in Ancient Saxony, for example The Aviones. Along with being mostly German, some parts of Britain have predominantly Norman and French heritage due to the Norman conuests in the 400's AD. Because of other tribal inhabitants the land left was not empty, also due to the fact that Ancient Saxony was not the whole of the Germanic land. Not all of the Angles left only a substantial amount of men and some women, so there could very well be some Germans that have Anglian roots. I apologize... back to the topic at hand.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The Angles were not the only Germanic tribe in Ancient Saxony, for example The Aviones. Along with being mostly German, some parts of Britain have predominantly Norman and French heritage due to the Norman conuests in the 400's AD. Because of other tribal inhabitants the land left was not empty, also due to the fact that Ancient Saxony was not the whole of the Germanic land. Not all of the Angles left only a substantial amount of men and some women, so there could very well be some Germans that have Anglian roots. I apologize... back to the topic at hand.
:eek:fftopic:
I'm inclined to agree that some (or possibly many) Germans must have Anglian roots due to the similarity in languages and overall appearance. Latin and Scandinavian people look distinctly different, yet if you take the cultural differences away German and English people look virtually the same.

Anyway, back to clothes (though this reminds me that a clothing anthropology thread could be interesting to show the difference between American, British and Continental suits in the Golden Era).

Edward

Bartender
barbaristic(word?:p), .

"Barbaric".

Re defining "phwoar", rather than refer to the Urban Dictionary, one might simply suggest it is a form of vocal grunt, designed to indicate appreciation of the female form, with an implication therein that the person employing this vocal device considers the subject of same to be sexually attractive. Notable practitioners include James, Sid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24