Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

billyspew

One Too Many
On my way out to the Third Grand Anarcho-Dandyist Ball, Saturday past:

At the event itself:

386548_10150404721836268_594881267_8832438_1488393252_n.jpg

Very nice, Fez-O-Rama by any chance?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Casual clothes for a dreary, tired day. New peacoat (from Costco) is fantastic though.
Photoon12-6-11at1010AM.jpg

Breaking from tradition by wearing a blue shirt. Couldn't resist white by the face though, so a white cotton neckerchief it is.
Photoon12-6-11at1011AM2.jpg

Mr slick

Familiar Face
Really nice outfit marc....My good lady talked me into having my photo's taken, otherwise i wouldn't bother.;)
I very rarely do this, because I feel ridiculously self-conscious when taking my own photo.

Here's today:

-- A two-piece patch pocket Donegal tweed suit from the late 1940s. Note the two outside breast pockets.

-- A late 1940s rayon knit tie.

-- A 1920s eight-panel cap by 'Waverly'.

-- A pair of 1950s dark brown suede shoes.

okay11.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wow....I want that waistcoat and trousers, actually the whole outfit, looks great. Are those 30's captoe's you are wearing marc?

The good news is, every item in that outfit (except for the tie and shoes) is available for purchase in a range of sizes.

The shoes you see in the photos were made in England for "Paul Stuart", a high-end traditional clothing store, in the 1990s. Here's a close-up image:

IMG_4282.jpg

Mr slick

Familiar Face
QUOTE=Marc Chevalier;1362595]The good news is, every item in that outfit (except for the tie and shoes) is available for purchase in a range of sizes.

The shoes you see in the photos were made in England for "Paul Stuart", a high-end traditional clothing store, in the 1990s. Here's a close-up image:

IMG_4282.jpg
[/QUOTE]Thanks marc...where can i purchase the clothing from?[

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars

Marc, the first thought that came to mind when I saw your photo was "complete." And that seems to describe it perfectly. Clearly you thought out every detail of this outfit, and ensured that the fit and match were exact. The ensemble looks amazing!

Perhaps a few decades and a couple grand later, I'll have something close to that. Thanks for sharing, and giving us relatively new sharp-dressing folks something to aspire to!

-Steven

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Perhaps a few decades and a couple grand later, I'll have something close to that.

Thank you!

You don't need money, you need time. (Though time is money too, so make it count.)

For instance, here's approximately how much each item in that photo cost:

-- 1940s Donegal tweed suit: $16 from a Goodwill thrift store in Glendale, California.

-- 1920s newsboy cap: about $35 on eBay.

-- Late 1990s "Banana Republic" spearpoint collared dress shirt: $4 from a Goodwill thrift store in Glendale, California.

-- 1940s rayon knit tie: about $5 on eBay.

-- 1950s suede shoes: $30 at a used clothing store in Pasadena, California.

-- Vintage pocket handkerchief: 25 cents at an estate sale.

-- Vintage leather pocket watch strap: about $12 on eBay.

-- Vintage pocket watch: inherited from my grandfather.

Grand total: $92.25

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'm in awe of the US thrift shops. In Germany it is virtually impossible to find vintage stuff like that in thrift stores - and defnitely not at those prices.

In the 1980s, when I first began to go to U.S. thrift shops, it was much more common. The very first time I went to a thrift ("Disabled American Veterans" in Glendale, California, 1987!), I found and purchased a three-piece single-breasted suit with peak lapels that had been custom made in 1933. Mint condition. My size. $12 !!! And this was a fairly typical find!

Today is a different story. Southern California thrift stores have less and less great vintage -- and donations are down in general, due to the lousy economy. Still, sometimes I get lucky. Goodwill has been good to me: I found that Donegal tweed suit there about a year ago. More recently, Goodwill yielded me a suit jacket custom made for Frank Sinatra.

Until a few years ago, the most glorious thrift shop in Los Angeles was a hard-to-find little place on La Brea Avenue called the "Cinema Glamour Shop". It had been founded in the 1930s by Mary Pickford to help provide funds for a rest home for old movie people. MAJOR Hollywood folks donated their unwanted clothing to that store. I bought vintage suits made for Henry Fonda, Joseph Cotten, Darryl Zanuck, and others. The prices for these suits were never more than $50. Once, I bought a large-sized 1930s Austrian three-piece tweed suit with plus-fours, mint condition, for $12! Its price had been marked down three times!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy