Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Good point, well made! S'funny, I bought a trench coat from a thrift store a coupla years back but somehow have never gotten around to wearing it – guess the small town where I live isn't urban enough to pull it off! Cripes, I get enough weird comments as it is...

Ah yes, the small town blues. I grew up in one and left town as soon as I could.

I shake my head at the John "Cougar" Mellencamp lyrics "Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town,
And people let me be just what I want to be" What a load of codswallop! I suppose it works if you conform to the norm, but I never could.

It's been over 30 years now, I suppose I should move on :D

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Ah yes, the small town blues. I grew up in one and left town as soon as I could.

I shake my head at the John "Cougar" Mellencamp lyrics "Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town,
And people let me be just what I want to be" What a load of codswallop! I suppose it works if you conform to the norm, but I never could.

It's been over 30 years now, I suppose I should move on :D

I grew up in a village and ran away to London, but after almost 20 years we got priced out and had to move to somewhere more 'affordable' – ironically, it turned out to the the second most expensive place to live in the UK! :eusa_doh:

Mellencamp is one of the few 'iconic' American solo artists not to make any even half-decent records – cripes, even Bob Seger made LOADS of great stuff pre-'70 – and I agree that lyric is boneheaded in the extreme! :D

Metatron

One Too Many
It's a Canadian thing.
I think I understand. ;)

Bit of a Scottish outfit from a couple of weeks ago, during a trip to Edinburgh:

-Houndstooth jacket
-chambray shirt
-wool checkered tie
-Tartan scarf
-Danish army surplus fuzzy wool trousers
-flecked herringbone cap

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sharing this pic via my online friends elsewhere just brought loads of negative comments, along the lines of 'have you joined The Village People / Frankie Goes To Hollywood?' and 'something to wear around the cottage', which I really just think is a bit sad.
Well the vintage "scene" includes a broad range of people and opinions. The homophobia thingy propably comes from the same people who think they can buy a manly sweater or manly leather jacket....to become manly? Don't worry about them. If they have issues don't make them to yours. But then again one should be able to take a (bad) joke every once in a while. Maybe they didn't really think about it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I think I understand. ;)

Bit of a Scottish outfit from a couple of weeks ago, during a trip to Edinburgh:

-Houndstooth jacket
-chambray shirt
-wool checkered tie
-Tartan scarf
-Danish army surplus fuzzy wool trousers
-flecked herringbone cap

Is that a Smith tartan scarf I spy there?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Busy with social events this week, has ANZAC day on Thursday and then Military Appreciation yesterday.

Not the best photo of me but I am wearing an action back jacket on the USS Missouri, surely that makes up for something ;)

406445043.jpg

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
My attire today consists of a vintage loop collar shirt, braces from Darcy's Clothing UK, and a pair of Ralph Lauren suspender pants, purchased from my local op shop a few weeks ago for 5 bucks, plus a pair of brogues from Loake Shoes UK, and the lid is my trusty, whippet from Stetson. View attachment 978

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
"It just shows how successful stereotypes are, really... the whole 50s biker / Western look, which is what I was aiming for and got pretty much dead-on, simply doesn't register with people.

Well the vintage "scene" includes a broad range of people and opinions. The homophobia thingy propably comes from the same people who think they can buy a manly sweater or manly leather jacket....to become manly? Don't worry about them. If they have issues don't make them to yours. But then again one should be able to take a (bad) joke every once in a while. Maybe they didn't really think about it.

whatever was the last high profile use of a given image is the usually the one that sticks in the public collective meme mind. so 'biker' means 'Village People' rather than Brando simply because Village People came later. likewise if you wear a white suit today you're more likely to get 'Saturday Night Fever' comments than 'Gatsby / 20s' comments. anything vaguely 30s is 'Downton Abbey' rather than 'Poirot'... to be replaced by the next hit TV period drama.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I tend not to get many comments on clothing, although there was one great one that springs to mind. It was a rare example of someone seeing clothes that are out of the ordinary and, rather than making a ludicrous comment (as mentioned above), instead they hit the nail on the head.

I was wearing a vaguely safari looking outfit, with cravat (no hat, though). A work colleague of mine just looked up and said 'It's Stewart Granger'.

KingS5.jpg
(seen here in 'King Solomon's Mines)

That comment was spot on.

Metatron

One Too Many
whatever was the last high profile use of a given image is the usually the one that sticks in the public collective meme mind. so 'biker' means 'Village People' rather than Brando simply because Village People came later. likewise if you wear a white suit today you're more likely to get 'Saturday Night Fever' comments than 'Gatsby / 20s' comments. anything vaguely 30s is 'Downton Abbey' rather than 'Poirot'... to be replaced by the next hit TV period drama.
Indeed, hence a 1940s haircut is unfortunately often immediately recognised as 'Hitler hair' :eek:

Is that a Smith tartan scarf I spy there?
Unfortunately I'm not a real Smith, just masquerading as one. I just wanted a green scarf. ;) But silly me, I forgot that my grandmother was a Buchanan, and that name's pattern is a great autumnal mix. Thankfully they are quite easy to find online and I won't have to go up to Edinburgh for another one. :)
I like the SE5 in your avatar, I'm a big aviation buff myself.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Well, hey howdy hey everybody. I'm new around these parts, but I'm a long-time lurker of the lounge. I took this photo yesterday for something and thought "why not post it to FL?" Nothing fancy, but all original; just a 1940's linen shirt, 1930's tie and 1930's trousers (with 20" cuffs, between 2"-3" waistband w/ three buttons). Enjoying the warm New England weather with my pet bird.

autumnsmall.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately I'm not a real Smith, just masquerading as one. I just wanted a green scarf. ;) But silly me, I forgot that my grandmother was a Buchanan, and that name's pattern is a great autumnal mix. Thankfully they are quite easy to find online and I won't have to go up to Edinburgh for another one. :)
I like the SE5 in your avatar, I'm a big aviation buff myself.

Well Metatron, it suits you so I'd say hang onto it ;) Lovely outfit overall BTW.

And I too am a big SE fan, my favourite aircraft of the Great War.

Mr Badger

Practically Family

Yeah, Floey, it just yanked my chain – thought the friends of mine who made the comments were a bit more evolved! I think you're right, Floey and 'kid, it was just the first thing that came to mind for 'em – cripes, usually I've got a quite fine-tuned sense of humour about myself, especially when it comes to wearing my wardrobe in a small town such as this... :D

Last night I wore a black Hollywood jacket w/fleck panels, black high-waisted pants, a white gab RL loop collar shirt, black & white saddle shoes and a black, wide-brimmed Scala 'zoot hat', all to DJ our nite at the local pub – when anyone made a comment, I replied that at least I was the best-dressed unemployed guy in town!

432212_10152307354595471_1368671589_n.jpg

I tend not to get many comments on clothing, although there was one great one that springs to mind. It was a rare example of someone seeing clothes that are out of the ordinary and, rather than making a ludicrous comment (as mentioned above), instead they hit the nail on the head.

I was wearing a vaguely safari looking outfit, with cravat (no hat, though). A work colleague of mine just looked up and said 'It's Stewart Granger'.

Heh, that's not a bad one, as it goes! They coulda said Richard Chamberlain! Back in the 1970s, when the Cardin safari jacket filtered down to British high streets, a friend of my late father bought one, and the first time he wore it down the pub, was asked "who do you think you are, bleedin' Cornel Wilde?" This became a hugely popular family joke, and was trotted out regularly when I went through my 60s phase and grew a 'Prince Valiant' haircut, wearing cuban-heeled boots, leather vests and tab-collared shirt with no necktie... I still occasionally use it today though, as you'd expect, no-one has any idea what I'm on about! :D

Here's a shot of me with the 1960s-style R&B band I left my home town to join, down in 'the London', taken back in 1990 – I'm on the front, left – wish I still had that shirt, vest and jacket now!

305229_10150805766390471_192577671_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot