Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
MK said:
Pants are wrinkled...but:

MK_oct08.jpg

Very nice. I'm a sucker for argyle sweaters.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Nice Outfit

Looking good, MK. I like the argyle. Argyle socks as well? Before long you'll be wearing cords with that ensemble. It's that time of year.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
MK, add this chap to the list of this ensemble's admirers. I am not usually comfortable without a tie but I must agree that your look is inspiring. Was the sweater vest a recent purchase? If so I will stop by and see what they have in stock.

:eusa_clap

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
DSC06762.jpg

Mr_Misanthropy said:
What is that tucked in your pocket there?

It's a pilot's silk escape map, converted to a pocket square. The idea behind these maps was that air force pilots would be able to carry a detailed, high-quality print map of the area they were flying over, in case they had to jump or were shot down. Silk maintains the print quality even when wet, and is far more robust than paper. There were usually overlapping map leaves on each side, so they would be double-side printed.

The WWII-vintage ones can be fiercely expensive, but the cold-war era ones, like the one in the photo above, can be had for down to $12.50, typically from a place like this:

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info...d/105?osCsid=e3a88dd83ff541634ba0536766a5b88e

The silk map arrived with fifty-year old folds in it, and some yellowing on the small portion which had been lying on the outside. It had the govt./army storage smell, something like floor wax and machine oil. The smell went completely away in the washing, though. The trouble was that the edges weren't finished.

Here's another site:http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/access/silkmaps.htm

Story

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
Late 30's early 40's American wool DB 3pc suit. 30's tie. Turn of century chain and gold fob. RedWing Gentleman Traveller boots (thought I'd try them out with a suit to see if it worked, and they pass muster). Stetson "Nostalgia" Fedora in Caribou. Cafe Latte by PM!

How does the jacket hang, over that shoulder holster?

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Lucky Strike said:
DSC06762.jpg

It's a pilot's silk escape map, converted to a pocket square. The idea behind these maps was that air force pilots would be able to carry a detailed, high-quality print map of the area they were flying over, in case they had to jump or were shot down. Silk maintains the print quality even when wet, and is far more robust than paper. There were usually overlapping map leaves on each side, so they would be double-side printed.

The WWII-vintage ones can be fiercely expensive, but the cold-war era ones, like the one in the photo above, can be had for down to $12.50, typically from a place like this:

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info...d/105?osCsid=e3a88dd83ff541634ba0536766a5b88e

The silk map arrived with fifty-year old folds in it, and some yellowing on the small portion which had been lying on the outside. It had the govt./army storage smell, something like floor wax and machine oil. The smell went completely away in the washing, though. The trouble was that the edges weren't finished.

Here's another site:http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/access/silkmaps.htm

Fascinating! Thank you so much for the information. Very stylish... I may have to get one and try that some time. With full credit to you, of course!

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
IMG_0926.jpg

In my hair: Layrite Super Hold
On my face: Shuron Ronsir frames
Clothing for the day: Brown 1940's gab jacket
Green and yellow late 50's striped shirt
George trousers
(not pictured) brown cap toe shoes

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
anglophile said:
I have to ask and no disrespect intended but do you consider 60 degrees hot?

It is when you live in a place where winter means 150 inches of snow and weeks of temps in the teens. Brrrrrrrrrrrr. (and no disrespect taken)

mike

Call Me a Cab
BRAND NEW ART FAWCETT JAZZMAN!!
complimented by late 30's/early 40's herringbone tweed suit!!
t'vas a good day! :)

DSCN0243.jpg

DSCN0247-1.jpg

DSCN0244-1.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
Mike, you manage to nail it every time.

but you left your dog plugged in again.

thanks! I am just a humble student though :)

and that's the second picture of robo-dog Dr Gogol... so weird huh?! lol

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
I hope ther's no one trapped under that mountain.

I sure hope not 'cause if there is, we sure didn't find them!

Oh, and mike, nice suit and hat. The hat is giving me early-1930s vibes. Art did a great job (as usual).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace