Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
You are paying good money for a excellent play so I would definitely recommend you dress nicely for the theater. Your non pinup style fancy dresses are certainly suitable and appropriate with a nice shawl, hosiery and heels and jewelry to go with it. I wouldn't go vintage style necessarily as its not that type or era of an event. Would not wear a suit as its too business dress code for the theater.

I wear my full length silk, satin, sequined and beaded evening gowns with gloves and vintage furs to theater and symphony/orchestra concerts even matinees, but hey, I love to get dressed up and tend to even overdress to fancy events.

Darhling said:
Thought this would be the right place to ask - what does one wear when going to the theater? I am going to see Les Miserables in a few weeks in London and would like to look appropriate! Is there a theater dress code I should know about?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
HOORAY for you Torpedo- looking FABULOUS, Sir!! What a way to dazzle 'em (and all of us too) at the end of the summer:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Torpedo said:
Truly summer weather is fast dissapearing, and with it, chances to wear truly summer ensembles... so today I assembled what could be the last one this year: linen suit, straw boater and spectators!

DSCN1215b.jpg

DSCN1216.jpg

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
In modern day society there is absolutely no theatre dress code. This can be bad because you will often be overdressing if you dress nicely, or good because there is no limit to what you can wear. Personally I'd wear either a dark coloured suit (two or three piece) or a dinner jacket. Plus my grey fedora as well which I would never go without.

Therefore, I'd say the sky's the limit to what you can wear. In your case anything from jeans and a T-shirt to a full length dress.

Of course, the beauty of the theatre is that no-one knows where you are going before or afterwards. I have been to the theatre in London many times in a suit and tie, not because I wanted to dress up for the theatre, but because I had come straight from work. If going out for dinner afterwards, this might be the perfect excuse for dressing up. The person sitting in the row behind has no idea whether you are going to Pizza Hut or Claridge's!

Besides, the theatre is by definition theatrical, so why not make the most of that. Yes, there will be plenty of tourists in shorts and t-shirts, but there will be many for whom the theatre is a rare pleasure and worth dressing up for. Just go to a showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show and see how many people dress up there (and how)! I wouldn't recommend dressing as a French revolutionary, but the principle remains.

So go, dress nice, and make a fantastic evening of it!

Torpedo

One Too Many
Thank you all for the comments on my "last summer outfit" previous posting.

As a post-script... the sun was short-lived, and by evening I had already changed the boater for a Stetson Open Road. I added a pocket square to the ensemble, BTW, an unfortunate oversight of mine in the morning (as sharp-eyed lounger Avedwards remarked ;) ), and substituted brown shoes for the spectators. And off we went for some stroll. We had to abort early because of gathering storms, already apparent in the first pic's background... you can actually see some raindrops on the hat, in the "panoply" pic - it was a narrow escape! ;)

DSCN1229.jpg

DSCN1239.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for all the replies to what to wear to the theater, I still only have a limited selection of my wardrobe here in London, but I am thinking about a black strapless pencildress with a sweetheart neckline, black heels and a classic black Chanel boucle jacket for when venturing outside.

Edward

Bartender
Today I am wearing, from the ground up:

• Plain black leather brothel creepers
  • Pegged trousers - nominally a 50s repro, but a tad narrower in the seat an thigh and just a touch lower in the waist than I think truly accurate
  • cotton shirt with blue and white stripe
  • Scarlet / navy / black / champagne floral pattern 50s tie
  • silver tie clip, bearing the legend 'What does not kill us', a somewhat paraphrased translation of a Nietsche quote of which I am particularly fond
  • silver clip-on collar bar
  • Silver tine, art-deco style wristwatch, with patent black leather strap
  • Black Merc Harrington jacket. Different lining (this the more common Royal Stewart tartan) than a Baracuta G9, and regular sleeves as opposed to Raglan - otherwise, a dead ringer for the Baracuta, or at least as close as I couldn't justify the GBP120 asking price (the Merc cost me GBP55, including postage...)
  • Black / white herringbone tweed B! Wear 8 panel cap

The cap and more casual jacket are a concession to practicality, as tonight I am attending a gig featuring Jeff Beck and the Imelda May Band. A cap is much more easily slipped into a pocket during an unseated show, and therefore more convenient than a fedora; likewise, the jacket an, if needsbe, be stuffed into a bag - can't do that with a nice blazer!

anon`

One Too Many
This was actually yesterday. I didn't realise that Clif (chucklehead) had taken a pic of me. And I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing in this photo, aside from not striking my usual cheesy "good God a camera's come out" pose.

8216_1102244210184_1649073068_305206_5667065_n.jpg

Photo was taken outside the Queen Anne Victorian Mansion in north Portland at a little shindig there last night.

I think I look like some kind of '30s-era physicist, or possibly hunter of the occult?

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic: Sorry, I know this is not the point of this thread:rolleyes: ...but the question about dress for theatre really makes me sad. In my opinion, it makes so many situations MORE difficult because there is no etiquette of dress in this modern age. We are all lost in many situations and then feel uncomfortable because perhaps we feel we wore the "wrong thing" - despite the fact that there is supposed to be "no rules." The feeling of being out of the "right way" still pervades whether or not there are rules. I felt this way recently when trying to decide what to wear to a wedding...bleh.:(

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
What the heck are brothel creepers? the outfit sounds really great, no pic??

/
Edward said:
Today I am wearing, from the ground up:
  • Plain black leather brothel creepers
  • Pegged trousers - nominally a 50s repro, but a tad narrower in the seat an thigh and just a touch lower in the waist than I think truly accurate
  • cotton shirt with blue and white stripe
  • Scarlet / navy / black / champagne floral pattern 50s tie
  • silver tie clip, bearing the legend 'What does not kill us', a somewhat paraphrased translation of a Nietsche quote of which I am particularly fond
  • silver clip-on collar bar
  • Silver tine, art-deco style wristwatch, with patent black leather strap
  • Black Merc Harrington jacket. Different lining (this the more common Royal Stewart tartan) than a Baracuta G9, and regular sleeves as opposed to Raglan - otherwise, a dead ringer for the Baracuta, or at least as close as I couldn't justify the GBP120 asking price (the Merc cost me GBP55, including postage...)
  • Black / white herringbone tweed B! Wear 8 panel cap

The cap and more casual jacket are a concession to practicality, as tonight I am attending a gig featuring Jeff Beck and the Imelda May Band. A cap is much more easily slipped into a pocket during an unseated show, and therefore more convenient than a fedora; likewise, the jacket an, if needsbe, be stuffed into a bag - can't do that with a nice blazer!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps only speaking for myself here- I'd have to disagree. As I am.. ahem, much older than you Mrs. Merl, in this case age serves me well! I've been researching fashion vintage and modern for some 30+ years now. I've got LOTS of books on subjects related in our home library, mostly bought before you could find all sort of info online! This Lounge in particular has greatly aided my studies on mens fashion for example. If I don't know it I learn it, and ally myself with those who do to learn and be mentored by them. My fascination and interest with the subject of dress in society has taken me to many many places far and wide- I've met so many interesting people. Blame it on a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Anthropology!

Etiquette schmetiquette, there is no etiquette in some places any longer. Especially among the younger generation. WHY, because they were never taught by their parents. In previous eras (I'm loosely saying pre-1960 here for lack of a better reference) the adults taught their children by example and direct education what to wear.

Are we not all here because we want to try to turn that tide around hopefully?? Yes, it is a sad day when one cannot figure out what to wear to a wedding, the theater, to church, or even to school.

That said, in any social situation that the issue of proper dress is concerned, be it a vintage era event or a modern setting I am never lost, nor feel uncomfortable, or feel I'm wearing the wrong thing. I can go anywhere to anything (try me!) and show up appropriately and well dressed. Let's call it my 'recipe'. The ingredients include many cups of knowledge and research, pour in self confidence, add in large measure of aplomb, mixed all with a healthy dose of feeling comfortable with who I am in my own skin.

Am I that rare? Probably yes, as I and my husband are raising and training our children (son age 13, daughter age 15) to know how to dress well, and modestly, and appropriately in any situation. They have also been taught how to behave and be well mannered in those settings. That is rare, apparently.

Pardon me for leaving right now, but our family shall be most likely going the the West Coast Ragtime Festival in November, and I'm off to decide/draw up what to sew for myself and our daughter for dresses. Probably need to watch my DVD of Howard's End again and pour over my old WWI era issues of The Delineator. Maybe I can find a Bachelor's detached collar in a small neck size that will fit our son on evilBay in the men's vintage clothing pre-1920 category.

Mrs. Merl said:
:eek:fftopic: Sorry, I know this is not the point of this thread:rolleyes: ...but the question about dress for theatre really makes me sad. In my opinion, it makes so many situations MORE difficult because there is no etiquette of dress in this modern age. We are all lost in many situations and then feel uncomfortable because perhaps we feel we wore the "wrong thing" - despite the fact that there is supposed to be "no rules." The feeling of being out of the "right way" still pervades whether or not there are rules. I felt this way recently when trying to decide what to wear to a wedding...bleh.:(

Bugsy

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:

I will disagree with you to a degree on one point. There are still standards and etiquette for dressing in certain situations. I think the main problem is that people do not observe them. There is no way that anyone is going to tell me that going to a wedding or funeral in a tee-shirt, shorts and flip-flops is appropriate. Yes, I was there. I'm know I'm being an old fuddy-duddy, but where is the sense of occasion? Last fall, I went to the opening performance of La Boheme at the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco. I was seated in the orchestra wearing a three piece suit. A man behind me was in shorts, a tank top, and sandals. I know this is Casual California, but there has to be a limit. I guess we are all charged with setting the example. I hope it does some good.

MissHannah

One Too Many
This is actually a couple of weeks ago at the Lady Luck Club in London with Lyburnum (right) and Fleur De Guerre (centre). I'm on the left:

9527_524396625636_283500099_1229320.jpg

The shirt is emerald green cotton and the skirt is a navy and white weave pencil skirt. I'm also wearing a black felt half hat that you cant quite see. I think Fleur may be wearing a Swirl dress and Lyburnum was in a navy cotton 50's fit-and-flare dress with white piping and buttons.

Antje

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
This is actually a couple of weeks ago at the Lady Luck Club in London with Lyburnum (right) and Fleur De Guerre (centre). I'm on the left:

9527_524396625636_283500099_1229320.jpg

The shirt is emerald green cotton and the skirt is a navy and white weave pencil skirt. I'm also wearing a black felt half hat that you cant quite see. I think Fleur may be wearing a Swirl dress and Lyburnum was in a navy cotton 50's fit-and-flare dress with white piping and buttons.

You three look fab, :eusa_clap

:eek:fftopic: My camera is not working again, I did make pictures but the wont load on my pc.

So I wore a pink and white full skirt, simple black shirt with short pouffy sleeves and my leopard peeptoes

RBH

Bartender
Torpedo said:
Thank you all for the comments on my "last summer outfit" previous posting.

As a post-script... the sun was short-lived, and by evening I had already changed the boater for a Stetson Open Road. I added a pocket square to the ensemble, BTW, an unfortunate oversight of mine in the morning (as sharp-eyed lounger Avedwards remarked ;) ), and substituted brown shoes for the spectators. And off we went for some stroll. We had to abort early because of gathering storms, already apparent in the first pic's background... you can actually see some raindrops on the hat, in the "panoply" pic - it was a narrow escape! ;)

DSCN1229.jpg

DSCN1239.jpg
WONDERFUL!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24