Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Exploring the concrete jungle.

mallory_04_14_10.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Goofin' around today. :p

- Borsalino late 40s brown fedora
- Tailor made coat by D. D'arcy, Dublin (20oz wool)
- Deadstock 40s tie "styled for W. Ray Johnson"
- Autograph point collar white shirt
- Bill's Khakis in M1P original style
- Alfred Sargeant spectators in brown and cream
- PRL argyle socks

IMG_2419.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Nothing fancy, just wore my new reproduction 1953 B-15 bomber jacket (cotton), a blue button-front short-sleeved shirt (t-shirt underneath), black leather belt, Levi 550 jeans, and what you may consider "boating shoes," brown leather ones, on campus. It actually can get chilly here in southern California, contrary to popular belief.

dsc00413dq.jpg

Mary

Practically Family
Smuterella, I love this! Combining the air of casual wear with perfect hair and features just makes you irresistible!

Smuterella said:
Two days in a row - same trousers, same hair set

1) early 40's homemade mustard blouse with jet buttons, Heyday trousers, vintage Mah Jong bracelet

2010_04080009.jpg

2) Topshop 30's-esque blouse, Heyday trousers, bakelite earrings

2010_04050007.jpg

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
Goofin' around today. :p

- Borsalino late 40s brown fedora
- Tailor made coat by D. D'arcy, Dublin (20oz wool)
- Deadstock 40s tie "styled for W. Ray Johnson"
- Autograph point collar white shirt
- Bill's Khakis in M1P original style
- Alfred Sargeant spectators in brown and cream
- PRL argyle socks

IMG_2419.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Having an office next door to the old government building has many perks, one of the minor but more appreciated ones being coffee and a bit of conversation with Vin, the proprietor of the concession stand. Vin had been there longer than anyone could remember, and there was talk that they had built the entire place around him.

I approached the counter to hear a young man from the Department whine, “But tomorrow’s payday, you know that. I’m good for four bits!” Vin, heaved a sigh and hooked a thumb at the dusty plaque on the back wall which read, “In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash.”

Hearing my cue, I stepped up. “It’s ok, kid. This one’s on me. And pour me another, Vin, as long as it’s a fresh pot.”

“Sure thing, Mistah P,” he said, his hands moving dexterously from till to pot to cup.

The kid turned to me and smiled. “Thanks. Hey, aren’t you the guy with the office next door, over the Indian place?”

I nodded, doffing my slate grey Jaxon fedora. “Slim Portly, finder of lost ways, consoler of the forlorn.”

He nodded. “You got a funny way of saying ‘gumshoe.’ ”

I nodded in turn. “Just so.”

The kid smiled and wandered back towards the elevator, coffee ruined with too much cream and sugar in hand.

“FNG’s, huh Mistah P?,” Vin said conspiratorially, once the kid was out of earshot.

“Indeed,” I replied to the old man. From his spot on the floor Vin’s guide dog Rocket moved his eyebrows to acknowledge my presence, and then he closed his eyes to continue thinking his deep thoughts. I wondered if that was the most exercise that the dog would get today.

“So whatcha wearin’ today, Mistah P?,” Vin asked.

“Charcoal pinstripes, forest green shirt, matching tie, black satin suspenders, gold cufflinks and tie chain.”

“Matching tie?,” he asked. “Would that be the one with the naked lady on it?”

“Please, my good man,” I said. “The lady in question is not naked. She is modestly dressed, perfectly attired for the giant martini glass in which she reclines.”

“Ooh la la!,” the old man said, moving his hands in circles in front of him like he probably remembered from back when the young girls danced the Charleston.

“And the shoes?,” he continued. “The black semi-brogues?”

“The very ones,” I answered.

“With what socks?,” he inquired.

“Black, with a large white check.”

“Black checked socks with charcoal pinstripes. Very bold, Mistah P,” he opined mock-seriously. He then held out his hand towards me, palm down, and raised his eyebrows. I offered him my cuff, which he felt with his gifted fingers. “That’s a nice blend, Mistah P. Very nice. But new. Not one of your old ones.”

“New-ish, Vin” I answered, thinking that it had been awhile since I’d had the scratch to buy a nice new suit.

“Well, you take care now, Mistah P.”

“Same to you,” I replied, “and take care of that dog.”

“Oh yeah. Rocket, he’s whatcha call ‘high maintenance.’ ”

The dog, eyes still closed, huffed once, puffing out his cheeks, either in recognition of his name or perhaps with satisfaction at some deep philosophical issue finally resolved. I donned my fedora and headed back in the direction of the street entrance, making a mental note to add the name which I had seen on the young kid’s badge to my Rolodex when I got back to my office. Four bits, and a favor owed. And they say that you can’t get a good deal in this economy.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Haven't posted here in a while. Been busy the last couple of weeks working as a volunteer (the entire family does) for the California Pops Orchestra. They had their two Big Band shows, this past Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. My husband and I danced a foxtrot in the aisles each show to "You Made me Love You" with an awesome trumpet solo- Sunday they had a follow spot on us- too cool!

Saturday I wore a blue crepe evening gown, with my vintage inspired Miriam Haskell pearl necklace, matching cuff bracelet and earrings. My son wore his single button tuxedo that night. Gosh, he's grown a lot since the CA Pops Feb 2009 concert when he worked as an usher, and then as a helper at the guest pianist's CD table at intermission and after the show.

Saturday night 4/10 in Palo Alto
385749898.jpg
Okay! So my eyes are closed here, but this picture does show the entire gown nicely!
385749901.jpg
Son Daniel looking dapper on Saturday, pictured here at the CD table
385749911.jpg

For Sunday afternoon at the Los Gatos venue, I wore a red knit full length gown, with beads on the straps. Added my vintage 40s necklace and earrings, and wore white long gloves again. Son wore his white tie and tails. I had to let out the sleeve lengths on both of his tux jackets- again!

Sunday afternoon 4/11 in Los Gatos
385749949.jpg
Daughter Sarah on Sunday wore her black satin CK long gown with sequined bodice and matching sequined bolero jacket. She is proudly wearing her California Pops Orchestra Orchestra Volunteer badge, pictured here with guest artist stride pianist virtuoso Frederick Hodges
385749906.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Sir! My hair looked more bedraggled earlier in the afternoon on Sunday- as it was POURING rain that day, and I had to make probably a dozen trips back and forth from the car to the green room, carrying things in for the show. My "working" jeans got soaked and stay soaked- glad I didn't come down with a cold... When I finally changed into my fancy red dress, I had to fluff my hair as best as I could and put gel gunk in it. Good thing I was too broke to have my hair done in the city, the rain would have completely ruined it!

In spite of the rain, we still had almost a full house on Sunday!! Woohoo- the two concerts were beyond incredible.

Slim Portly said:
Miss Carey, you are as lovely as always.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
LOVE IT SP!!

Slim Portly said:
Having an office next door to the old government building has many perks, one of the minor but more appreciated ones being coffee and a bit of conversation with Vin, the proprietor of the concession stand. Vin had been there longer than anyone could remember, and there was talk that they had built the entire place around him.

I approached the counter to hear a young man from the Department whine, “But tomorrow’s payday, you know that. I’m good for four bits!” Vin, heaved a sigh and hooked a thumb at the dusty plaque on the back wall which read, “In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash.”

Hearing my cue, I stepped up. “It’s ok, kid. This one’s on me. And pour me another, Vin, as long as it’s a fresh pot.”

“Sure thing, Mistah P,” he said, his hands moving dexterously from till to pot to cup.

The kid turned to me and smiled. “Thanks. Hey, aren’t you the guy with the office next door, over the Indian place?”

I nodded, doffing my slate grey Jaxon fedora. “Slim Portly, finder of lost ways, consoler of the forlorn.”

He nodded. “You got a funny way of saying ‘gumshoe.’ ”

I nodded in turn. “Just so.”

The kid smiled and wandered back towards the elevator, coffee ruined with too much cream and sugar in hand.

“FNG’s, huh Mistah P?,” Vin said conspiratorially, once the kid was out of earshot.

“Indeed,” I replied to the old man. From his spot on the floor Vin’s guide dog Rocket moved his eyebrows to acknowledge my presence, and then he closed his eyes to continue thinking his deep thoughts. I wondered if that was the most exercise that the dog would get today.

“So whatcha wearin’ today, Mistah P?,” Vin asked.

“Charcoal pinstripes, forest green shirt, matching tie, black satin suspenders, gold cufflinks and tie chain.”

“Matching tie?,” he asked. “Would that be the one with the naked lady on it?”

“Please, my good man,” I said. “The lady in question is not naked. She is modestly dressed, perfectly attired for the giant martini glass in which she reclines.”

“Ooh la la!,” the old man said, moving his hands in circles in front of him like he probably remembered from back when the young girls danced the Charleston.

“And the shoes?,” he continued. “The black semi-brogues?”

“The very ones,” I answered.

“With what socks?,” he inquired.

“Black, with a large white check.”

“Black checked socks with charcoal pinstripes. Very bold, Mistah P,” he opined mock-seriously. He then held out his hand towards me, palm down, and raised his eyebrows. I offered him my cuff, which he felt with his gifted fingers. “That’s a nice blend, Mistah P. Very nice. But new. Not one of your old ones.”

“New-ish, Vin” I answered, thinking that it had been awhile since I’d had the scratch to buy a nice new suit.

“Well, you take care now, Mistah P.”

“Same to you,” I replied, “and take care of that dog.”

“Oh yeah. Rocket, he’s whatcha call ‘high maintenance.’ ”

The dog, eyes still closed, huffed once, puffing out his cheeks, either in recognition of his name or perhaps with satisfaction at some deep philosophical issue finally resolved. I donned my fedora and headed back in the direction of the street entrance, making a mental note to add the name which I had seen on the young kid’s badge to my Rolodex when I got back to my office. Four bits, and a favor owed. And they say that you can’t get a good deal in this economy.

Bugsy

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
Haven't posted here in a while. Been busy the last couple of weeks working as a volunteer (the entire family does) for the California Pops Orchestra. They had their two Big Band shows, this past Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. My husband and I danced a foxtrot in the aisles each show to "You Made me Love You" with an awesome trumpet solo- Sunday they had a follow spot on us- too cool!

Saturday I wore a blue crepe evening gown, with my vintage inspired Miriam Haskell pearl necklace, matching cuff bracelet and earrings. My son wore his single button tuxedo that night. Gosh, he's grown a lot since the CA Pops Feb 2009 concert when he worked as an usher, and then as a helper at the guest pianist's CD table at intermission and after the show.

Saturday night 4/10 in Palo Alto
385749898.jpg
Okay! So my eyes are closed here, but this picture does show the entire gown nicely!
385749901.jpg
Son Daniel looking dapper on Saturday, pictured here at the CD table
385749911.jpg

For Sunday afternoon at the Los Gatos venue, I wore a red knit full length gown, with beads on the straps. Added my vintage 40s necklace and earrings, and wore white long gloves again. Son wore his white tie and tails. I had to let out the sleeve lengths on both of his tux jackets- again!

Sunday afternoon 4/11 in Los Gatos
385749949.jpg
Daughter Sarah on Sunday wore her black satin CK long gown with sequined bodice and matching sequined bolero jacket. She is proudly wearing her California Pops Orchestra Orchestra Volunteer badge, pictured here with guest artist stride pianist virtuoso Frederick Hodges
385749906.jpg

Always perfectly in style, the entire family. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The Good

Call Me a Cab
For today:

Akubra Federation IV fedora
B-15 bomber jacket
Blue Land's End Oxford Dress Shirt
White cotton t-shirt
Dockers corduroy pants
Clarks leather shoes
Nautica black leather dress belt

dsc00444ul.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
JB,

That is a good look and I really like the jacket. I had a similar one for quite a while. I think I actually wore it out, which was quite a feat, as I was still growing when I had it.

If you ever feel like adding to the ensemble, try a silk scarf, either the white aviator style, or some colorful one tucked into your shirt like an ascot.

Also, have you tried wearing your hat a little more forward on your head? It always seems to be cocked back a bit, and by bringing it a little forward, you could project a bit more confidence and attitude. Then again, that is only my opinion, so take it or leave it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
JB,

That is a good look and I really like the jacket. I had a similar one for quite a while. I think I actually wore it out, which was quite a feat, as I was still growing when I had it.

If you ever feel like adding to the ensemble, try a silk scarf, either the white aviator style, or some colorful one tucked into your shirt like an ascot.

Also, have you tried wearing your hat a little more forward on your head? It always seems to be cocked back a bit, and by bringing it a little forward, you could project a bit more confidence and attitude. Then again, that is only my opinion, so take it or leave it.

I like your suggestion for the scarf or ascot, but that's something I feel I'm not quite ready to do yet. Perhaps I'll consider that at a certain point though. Now as to the way I wear my hat, I personally like it this way, as I appear more "approachable" or "friendly," as Frank Sinatra might say judging by the angle, but I do like your suggestion also. Normally, I wear it so that my eyebrows are visible, and there is about a one-inch gap between them and the brim of the hat.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
Now as to the way I wear my hat, I personally like it this way, as I appear more "approachable" or "friendly," as Frank Sinatra might say judging by the angle, but I do like your suggestion also.

I sometimes forget that their are friendly people out there, all power to you in that endeavor.

As to myself, I am a bit blunt and sarcastic (quirky and amusing at my most personable), so I wouldn't want to give people to wrong impression with the way I wear my hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot