Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ Oh, I think I was looking at the brick red. Thanks for your input.

I think it would work well on a copper redhead. It reminds me of Cate Blanchett in The Aviator, possibly with a touch more brown.

k4waky.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've got similar hair to Cate's in that photo, and I love wearing MAC's Dubonnet, which is a brownish-brick red. I have much paler skin, though. People always compliment me when I wear it, so it must be a good match :)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Revlon's Fire and Ice! I picked it up by chance when I was out of town and needed a lipstick. I did not know the history behind it until I googled to see what other people were saying. It's a keeper for me.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
^^ I love Fire & Ice! I've been wearing it almost every day this week; it's a nice change from my usual bright red.

For the past few months I have been using lipstain as a lipliner... it really helps with keeping lipstick in place all day. While nothing beats a pencil when you want to draw a cupid's bow or go full-on Crawford, for everyday wear I'm finding the lipstain-as-liner trick really handy.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
RodeoRose, I actually discovered it around the holidays of last year and kind of forgot about it, but I have been wearing it consistently lately myself. I guess you could say it puts me in the holiday spirit. I have coffee colored skin and it complements it so well!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Can anyone recommend any lines of organic or "natural" lipstick? I'm specifically looking for a lipstick or stain, not a gloss.

I have a Sephora and an ULTA near me, although I've never been in either one. I've seen mixed reviews on every brand I have searched, although it looks like some people are happy with the ones by bare minerals?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
sheeplady, have you tried the Burt's Bees tinted lip balm? I've used several colors and been quite happy with them all.

My new favorite lip is L'Oreal Infallible in refined ruby.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
sheeplady, have you tried the Burt's Bees tinted lip balm? I've used several colors and been quite happy with them all.

My new favorite lip is L'Oreal Infallible in refined ruby.

bombshell_librarian

New in Town
I've recently discovered Revlon's Lip Butters. I like Candy Apple Red. It's a nice, cheerful, damn-that-is-RED-red. Their Raspberry Pie is nice, too, for a more toned-down red. It looks good with purple. I'm also a fan of Benefit's Benetint Lip Balm in the little pot.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
OOh yes Benetint lip balm is really great. My Mum got me addicted to that too.

I'm currently loving Estee Lauder Classic red or Scarlet Siren, both of which are my new HG lipsticks. Both are true blue-y reds, smell divine, go on like a dream, with a nice satin finish. They can be powdered down for a more matte look too. I also find with my dry lips they don't seperate or go bobbly like the dreaded Ruby Woo does. Plus the packaging is lovely and glam.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
Yesterday I splurged at Neiman Marcus on a lipstick and liner by a line I had never heard of before: Le Metier de Beaute. The liner is in a color called Rose, which is really a true red, the lipstick is the Color Core Moisturizing Lipstick in China Beach. It feels like silk on, and wears pretty well, even through dinner after applied over makeup remover in the store. I LOVE it. Pictures later.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I still haven't found the perfect red and I have so many red lipsticks now, I don't dare count them! I wish I could wear Ruby woo but it is simply too drying even with primer etc.

I wish I could get the very plump look that I get with regular creme lipsticks, with matte lipsticks. I am tempted to try Nars Ultra Matte lipsticks, have anyone tried these?

I have also heard great things about Julie Hewett rouge noir, it is supposed to be matte and technicolor red (in my mind, flat red look on the lips without the slight sheen from lipsticks like Besame), but I have heard it is not out of the ordinary - any reviews on this?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Oh and packaging wise, I can highly recommend Guerlain G lipsticks, it is in a silver case with a double mirror that pops up when you slide out the lipstick. It is creme in finishing texture and I can recommend the Garconné color, it looks very true, bright red when applied.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I still haven't found the perfect red and I have so many red lipsticks now, I don't dare count them! I wish I could wear Ruby woo but it is simply too drying even with primer etc.

I wish I could get the very plump look that I get with regular creme lipsticks, with matte lipsticks. I am tempted to try Nars Ultra Matte lipsticks, have anyone tried these?

I have also heard great things about Julie Hewett rouge noir, it is supposed to be matte and technicolor red (in my mind, flat red look on the lips without the slight sheen from lipsticks like Besame), but I have heard it is not out of the ordinary - any reviews on this?

^ I have most of the Julie Hewett Noir lipsticks. Personally, I *love* them. The Rouge Noir is a true 1940s red. I also really like Coco Noir, which is a hint more brownish, but still very red. They're completely matte with no sheen. The packaging is also vintage-styled. They can be a touch drying if you don't wear a moisture base underneath, but they last like nobody's business. When I wear red lipstick I'm constantly touching up, but I've worn these through a 6-hour long dance and multiple drinks with minimal to no touch-ups, and the color stayed fresh and wasn't worn off.

Film Noir & Oona Noir are more sheer, they're my everyday wearers because they're a touch more subtle for my conservative office environment. I find myself reaching for them much more often than my MAC, Donna Karan & YSL lipsticks.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
^ I have most of the Julie Hewett Noir lipsticks. Personally, I *love* them. The Rouge Noir is a true 1940s red. I also really like Coco Noir, which is a hint more brownish, but still very red. They're completely matte with no sheen. The packaging is also vintage-styled. They can be a touch drying if you don't wear a moisture base underneath, but they last like nobody's business. When I wear red lipstick I'm constantly touching up, but I've worn these through a 6-hour long dance and multiple drinks with minimal to no touch-ups, and the color stayed fresh and wasn't worn off.

Film Noir & Oona Noir are more sheer, they're my everyday wearers because they're a touch more subtle for my conservative office environment. I find myself reaching for them much more often than my MAC, Donna Karan & YSL lipsticks.

Thank you Fortworthgal!! I must get it I think, my problem now is to get it! They are all sold out in the UK

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars

I have the Ruby Woo problem too - seems like everyone does! I was in MAC on Saturday having a make-up trial and mentioned the drying effect to the make-up girl. She said that there is a MAC pro longwear lip creme in a very similar shade to Ruby Woo. I *think* is was "Prolong" but can't remember for definite. I passed on trying it out because I wanted to try something different so settled for Russian Red which didn't suit me at all! Wish I'd tried out the Ruby Woo-a-like now.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner