Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
I'm in love with Revlon's Cherries in the Snow. I know it's more pink than red, but I just adore the way it reminds me of dessert. : }

nico demouse

Familiar Face
Marzipan said:
I'm in love with Revlon's Cherries in the Snow. I know it's more pink than red, but I just adore the way it reminds me of dessert. : }

I just tried Cherries in the Snow. Unfortunately, it goes bright and fluorescent on me. Anyone need a practically new tube? I'd happily post it to someone who would use it.

I've been using a Rimmel Diva Red pencil lately and lining and filling in my entire lip and then putting gloss over it. I love this color!

androidpop

New in Town
a bit of a red lipstick fanatic...

im definitely a mac girl-
Russian red- beautiful blue-red matte
MAC red- blue-red satin
Mystic - wine color satin, great for evening look
Rouge Noir - 'Lustre' VERY glossy orange red, but not TOO orange, my FAVORITE mac lipstick & its the dita von teese limited edtion
Fanplastico- A darker red lacquer that is absolutely flawless (make sure you wear lip liner because it tends to creep!

and to other brands!
OPI has great reds, I like the 'Candles on My cake' is a red with pink undertones that is lovely for the summer, their 'my chihuahua bites!' is a great red lip liner that goes under just about anything!

Tigi Bedhead 'perfect red' is in a twist able crayon type dispenser and is great to help other shades stay in place or last longer

Revlon gloss lipstick in 'cherry freeze' im not sure what the type of lipstick is called but its a gloss and tastes divine!

Lillemor

One Too Many
MAC Rouge Noir sounds like my kind of red then. Though it's not vintage correct, I'm finding that many reds look better with clear gloss over them on me than matte on me.

These days I'm trying to use some browns and reds up by mixing them because neither look good on me by themselves.

androidpop

New in Town
Lillemor said:
MAC Rouge Noir sounds like my kind of red then. Though it's not vintage correct, I'm finding that many reds look better with clear gloss over them on me than matte on me.

These days I'm trying to use some browns and reds up by mixing them because neither look good on me by themselves.

You will love it! Its glossy enough itself you dont even need to apply a gloss, Its wonderful! At least take a step out of your lipstick routine! ;)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Maybelline Hydra Extreme in 92/233 Burgundy is a good red for deep olive complexions. Use a steady hand/brush and blot off well. It's good enough at that price though. It's the closest to red I've owned in a long time that doesn't actually look wine or berry on me and suits me too.

MAC Rouge Noir is going to be my next top priority purchase.

Tallulah

New in Town
Well gals... did I ever spend some money after reading this thread! ;) Thank you all so much for taking the time to post. I am also pretty budget conscious (a drugstore cowgal) and so I have chosen to try lipsticks from lines that were more readily available to me.

I have pale pink but very acidic skin and tend to "orange" most things that I wear. I bought the following based on the recommendations here and have been very happy with the results. Oh! but before I list, I have to tell you I have gotten soo many compliments from coworkers and friends on how great I look and that my date last weekend could not stop stealing glances at my lips when he thought I wasn't looking :) .

-Almay #250 "Wine"
-Revlon Colorstay #330 "Smoothest Wine"
-Rimmel #124 "Bordeaux"
-Rimmel #166 "Temptation"

I have also been using a fairly new product by Sally Hansen that gives a comfortable plumping effect over time as well as softening the lips. It provides sheer coverage and although it does not come in a nice red, I use the "Sheer Berry Bliss" #6620-04 as an undercoat of sorts. I have been very happy with the improved condition and realistic looking boost that this product has given my lips.

Thanks again!
-Tallulah

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I like Loreal's True Red... for the whole 10-minutes it stays red on my lips. Then it fades into a rosey stain and I just use it as a base for another color. True Red is a bluer red (works with my medium complexion, freckles and auburn hair) and goes on a bit glossy, then changes quickly. The descriptions of the products everyone uses is helpful for searching out a creamier, more matte red.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Sue Devitt's "Great Australian Bight" and "East End."

Both are warmer deep brick reds, but the former has more berry and the latter, more brown. Both look great with my autumn/yellow undertoned skin.

I've worn red lipstick for 21 years and these are at the top of my current list of favorites---everytime i find one they discontinue the shade, which is a bummer. Revlon Colorstay in Ruby was fantastic and stayed put forever.
L'Oreal "Spice" (which is still available) is a great dark brown/bronze for 30's looks.
On me, I prefer the darker/richer look over technicolor bright.

BombshellBella

Familiar Face
I am still on the search for the perfect red... I am really excited to try MAC Russian Red... I just bought this last night, its very nice indeed...

Cos18o_3_large.jpg

Turbulent by HIP

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Just an FYI

I saw that Revlon has a new line of matte cosmetics today at CVS...they had both a bright red and a more wine dark red.

I did pick up the bright one and so will try it out and maybe even take a picture of it on for you all soon.

It felt decently moist on today...so not quite that super dry matte feel.

Lillemor

One Too Many
androidpop said:
im definitely a mac girl-

Rouge Noir - 'Lustre' VERY glossy orange red, but not TOO orange,QUOTE]

I can only see a 'Film Noir' and that's a satuated dark brown as far as I can tell. I doubt it'll look good on me on its own. The shade I thought was going to be the replacement for my 'Vivacious' pink is gone too.:rolleyes: I can't really see a pink shade that can replace that.

The Lady Danger or Lady Bug might do as sort of red. I'm looking for a coral though and Vegas Volt is the closest I see but I would've preferred a deeper coral.

roots66

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the head's-up on Revlon Matte, Miss Neecerie. I thought it might take a while for these to show up here (as is usually the case with new products), but the display was up at my local Shopper's Drug Mart today, and I very well may have been the first chick to take a crack at it. I picked up the "brighter" Really Red (it's not super-bright though) and Pink Pout, one of the best pale mod pinks I've ever come across. Comfortable feel, good staying power, cool matte-black version of the classic Super Lustrous case--you can't go wrong!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
roots66 said:
Thanks for the head's-up on Revlon Matte, Miss Neecerie. I thought it might take a while for these to show up here (as is usually the case with new products), but the display was up at my local Shopper's Drug Mart today, and I very well may have been the first chick to take a crack at it. I picked up the "brighter" Really Red (it's not super-bright though) and Pink Pout, one of the best pale mod pinks I've ever come across. Comfortable feel, good staying power, cool matte-black version of the classic Super Lustrous case--you can't go wrong!

And I got the 'In the Red' shade...which is a bit more orangy brick then I had -wanted- but turns out to be rather nice and wearable for say work, even though its not the bright super red I thought it was.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny, Ruby Woo looks blue red on me, but Russian red becomes brick.
Ruby Woo stays on much better, too, if you find it too dry you can put a little something else on top pf it and it stays all day.
At $18 a tube, it should last!
Edit: Re the Cherries in the Snow, I'll take it! It looks great on top of Ruby Woo!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I love Revlon Rouge Revelry, and I also really like the red lip liner they have (it's like way super red) if you color your entire lip in it then then put beni- tint by beni-fit over it. I usually use that over all red lipsticks unless they are the really moist kind.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I was cleaning fake snow (long story) out of my car today and found my tube of Ruby Woo! I thought it was lost forever!!

Also; I was at MAC the other day, looking for Lady Danger and the sales associate told me that they no longer carried it in-store....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR